CONFIRMED(?)- Dish Discontinuing Absolute HD Package

No matter what anyone says, Dish should still look at offering some type of HD only package to those of us who only want HD. I've had the Absolute package since it began. Why? Because I do not want the other crap!:mad:
I started with Dish several years ago because they had the VOOM networks and we know what happened there!:mad: :mad:
Now they are looking at dropping this HD package-:rant:

Just do not know if their crap is worth it anymore. I will continue to look at this thread and when they call me, hopefully I be prepared to either accept what they will offer or cancel them.

Now that they have "Free HD for life" ... an HD only package would be ... free ... :D

i am confused by all the hypocrisy. so as a sub you have the power to cancel dish if it gets to expensive for you. so why does dish not have that right to cancel a package if it would be to expensive for them? they should take a loss on the package and let it create all sorts of negotiation issues with channel providers simply because you think your entitled to it?

either change your package or change your provider. no matter which one you take, your outcome will be pretty much the same in price and channels with only a slight margin in difference. the gravy train has come to a stop. get over it. move on. it was great while it lasted.

After reading all these posts, I think I see Dish's aim. They are doing what D* claimed was their goal - What, two years ago? To drop the low margin subs.

I think Dish wants to cut low margin, high maintenance subs. Good deals never last forever, be grateful you had it while it lasted. Should I complain that I don't still have the ten dollar a month deal from Dish that I got for the first year? Even though there are many more channels, HD, and much better boxes?

Instead of anger, we should be practical. It's just time to review options. Which provider will offer the combination of features that we each believe offers the best bang for the buck? And is the difference worth going to the trouble of changing?

I'm not far into a 2 year Dish contract. I love the ViPs and I'm quite happy with the service. But I'm considering a Hauppauge DVR to strip the EHDs clean as my contract nears an end. Just how bad will the Fios HD DVR be when I need to review my options? And just how much will I save with a Fios triple play? They certainly make it difficult to find out. Will I still lose certain channels at that time, if I go with Fios?

Again, I'm happy with Dish, but if I could save $50 a month with Fios, I'd certainly have to seriously consider it. No heartburn. No vendetta (which is only self-destructive). No self justification of expecting something for nothing. Just a cost benefit analysis.

i am confused by all the hypocrisy. so as a sub you have the power to cancel dish if it gets to expensive for you. so why does dish not have that right to cancel a package if it would be to expensive for them? they should take a loss on the package and let it create all sorts of negotiation issues with channel providers simply because you think your entitled to it?

either change your package or change your provider. no matter which one you take, your outcome will be pretty much the same in price and channels with only a slight margin in difference. the gravy train has come to a stop. get over it. move on. it was great while it lasted.
The difference being, these subs and Dish have already agreed to terms of package and price, as stated in the contract. Every provider, including Dish, always allows grandfathered packages to continue as long as the sub stays with them and does not change packages. I have a 20 year old grandfathered cell package with ATT (formally with PacBell) and a 15 year old grandfathered package with DirecTV that no longer exists. Neither have canceled this deal that I signed with them.

Sure, Dish has the right to eliminate packages that are no longer profitable. That is why they got rid of this package to begin with. But, do they have the right to pull the rug out from under those whom have already signed an agreement with them for this package? Legally, probably. Should they? No!

After reading all these posts, I think I see Dish's aim. They are doing what D* claimed was their goal - What, two years ago? To drop the low margin subs.
Did Direct cancel this package for those that currently had it and continued to use it? I am still using a package by Direct that no longer exists and am paying about $3 less per month for it, get the same channels as the newer package, and still get all of the new additions. There is a difference between no longer offering it and getting rid of it all together (forcing those that have it, to change and pay more)

The difference being, these subs and Dish have already agreed to terms of package and price, as stated in the contract. Every provider, including Dish, always allows grandfathered packages to continue as long as the sub stays with them and does not change packages. I have a 20 year old grandfathered cell package with ATT (formally with PacBell) and a 15 year old grandfathered package with DirecTV. Neither have canceled this deal that I signed with them.

Sure, Dish has the right to eliminate packages that are no longer profitable. That is why they got rid of this package to begin with. But, do they have the right to pull the rug out from under those whom have already signed an agreement with them for this package? Legally, probably. Should they? No!

They signed a 2 year agreement (which included an out for Dish anyway for package changes). It is getting close to 2 years that the package is discontinued and on grandfather status. It's not like someone signed up for it 2 months ago and it is going away. No one that has had it should have believed it would last forever.

Also, has the grandfathered DirecTV pack you have gone up in price?

I think Dish wants to cut low margin, high maintenance subs. Good deals never last forever, be grateful you had it while it lasted. Should I complain that I don't still have the ten dollar a month deal from Dish that I got for the first year? Even though there are many more channels, HD, and much better boxes?

Instead of anger, we should be practical. It's just time to review options. Which provider will offer the combination of features that we each believe offers the best bang for the buck? And is the difference worth going to the trouble of changing?

I'm not far into a 2 year Dish contract. I love the ViPs and I'm quite happy with the service. But I'm considering a Hauppauge DVR to strip the EHDs clean as my contract nears an end. Just how bad will the Fios HD DVR be when I need to review my options? And just how much will I save with a Fios triple play? They certainly make it difficult to find out. Will I still lose certain channels at that time, if I go with Fios?

Again, I'm happy with Dish, but if I could save $50 a month with Fios, I'd certainly have to seriously consider it. No heartburn. No vendetta (which is only self-destructive). No self justification of expecting something for nothing. Just a cost benefit analysis.

That is a great post and I agree with you 100%

The difference being, these subs and Dish have already agreed to terms of package and price, as stated in the contract. Every provider, including Dish, always allows grandfathered packages to continue as long as the sub stays with them and does not change packages. I have a 20 year old grandfathered cell package with ATT (formally with PacBell) and a 15 year old grandfathered package with DirecTV that no longer exists. Neither have canceled this deal that I signed with them.

there is no difference if the subs and dish agreed to the terms of the commitment, which states very clearly that programming and price is subject to change. the commitment does not say anywhere on it that hd absolute will be here for the full 24 months at 29.99. nor does it guarantee the grandfathering of any package.

it is very clear that the removal of hd absolute falls under the commitment terms since programming is subject to change.

They signed a 2 year agreement (which included an out for Dish anyway for package changes). It is getting close to 2 years that the package is discontinued and on grandfather status. It's not like someone signed up for it 2 months ago and it is going away. No one that has had it should have believed it would last forever.
Which is why I said they can legally do it, but SHOULDN'T do it. It is not a good business move.
Also, has the grandfathered DirecTV pack you have gone up in price?
Yes, but it is still less than the new package. Besides, that is not the point of the discussion. The point is, they still allowed me to keep it, regardless of the price goes up. Dish should do the same for those with this package, even if the price goes up each year.

Another grandfathered feature I have with ATT is the unlimited data plan, that they have since gotten rid of. Sure the price may go up above $30 in the future, but I will still get to keep a plan that they no longer offer.

I'll have to weigh all the fees and stuff with the channels that we like to watch. I like NatGeo and it's in the 250, that's a little hot for my blood. I might stick with Dish for a bit if the deal is good enough, but once that runs out I'll do the bundle thing with Cox for their 1 yr promotion. I'll just be a flip flopper for a few years ;)

or maybe I'll just kill it all and do the dual OTA tuner DVR and Netflix.

there is no difference if the subs and dish agreed to the terms of the commitment, which states very clearly that programming and price is subject to change. the commitment does not say anywhere on it that hd absolute will be here for the full 24 months at 29.99. nor does it guarantee the grandfathering of any package.

it is very clear that the removal of hd absolute falls under the commitment terms since programming is subject to change.
How often do you see companies eliminate old packages? All of the time. How often are current subs of these packages forced to change? Never. Are they pretty much always allowed to keep their grandfathered package as long as they keep it up and running with out changing? Pretty much always.

This is the first time I have ever seen any company force current subs of a package to change to a higher package.

Again, I stated in my post (which many are conveniently ignoring) that they have the right to do so, it is that they SHOULDN'T do so.

Or the more I think about it... I'll just tell them to cancel it.. I could have lived with them upping the package a bit, not killing it all together.

Again, "times they are a changing". You have hit it lucky in a way. I think more companies are working hard to end these "Grandfathered in" packages to help them keep up with operating cost. Even my bank changed my checking account because I was "Grandfathered" in from an old employee program from where I use to work many years ago. A lot of the perks I had with that original account have been ended when I was "updated" to the "newest" checking account.

Not saying it's right, just that's the way it seems to be going.

Ghpr13:)

Did Direct cancel this package for those that currently had it and continued to use it? I am still using a package by Direct that no longer exists and am paying about $3 less per month for it, get the same channels as the newer package, and still get all of the new additions. There is a difference between no longer offering it and getting rid of it all together (forcing those that have it, to change and pay more)

You cannot force anyone to continue to do something (offer a certain package) when they do not feel it is in their interest any longer, and have no legal obligation to do so. Well, outside of divorce, anyway. ;)

Dish clearly feels they will be ahead, even after losing some subs over it. Keep in mind, the subs they lose will be self-identified low end subs.

I'll have to weigh all the fees and stuff with the channels that we like to watch. I like NatGeo and it's in the 250, that's a little hot for my blood. I might stick with Dish for a bit if the deal is good enough, but once that runs out I'll do the bundle thing with Cox for their 1 yr promotion. I'll just be a flip flopper for a few years ;)

or maybe I'll just kill it all and do the dual OTA tuner DVR and Netflix.

I have a feeling as time goes by, with this economy, more people might decide to go this way...the old "free TV" is starting to look better & better as subscription TV keeps increasing in price.

Ghpr13:(

It's not so different than the Cell Phone Co's getting ready to dump their unlimited data plans. Another gravy train about to be derailed.

How often do you see companies eliminate old packages? All of the time. How often are current subs of these packages forced to change? Never. Are they pretty much always allowed to keep their grandfathered package as long as they keep it up and running with out changing? Pretty much always.

This is the first time I have ever seen any company force current subs of a package to change to a higher package.

Again, I stated in my post (which many are conveniently ignoring) that they have the right to do so, it is that they SHOULDN'T do so.

make you your mind, do companies "never" force a sub to change packages, or do they "pretty much always" allow a customer to grandfather. there is a lot of space between never and pretty much always.

my wife only eats at mcdonalds when they have the mcrib. its the only thing she likes there. i guess they should never discontinue it and sell it to her year round at our local McD's, but not to everyone else. they should grandfather her into it since its all she ever buys from there.

I will probably take the deal they offer, granted no contracts are involved. Then after that just go back to the old way of getting tv with ota. I cannot personally justify paying a lot of $$ for tv considering no more than we watch it. It was nice while it lasted but I won't be sticking around after the deals are done & if I do change my mind it won't be with Dish either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts