CONFIRMED(?)- Dish Discontinuing Absolute HD Package

lsilvest

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 11, 2010
Pueblo West, CO
Just hung up with call from Dish. They are discontinuing my Absolute package. Claim they are discontinuing it for everyone.

Made offer of other packages with intro rates for 12mos and including Platinum for 6 months. No new committment required.

Has anyone else received the same call?

A lot of members have said that once they remove the Absolute package, they will leave Dish. I'm wondering if this is actually going to happen but if this is true more people will be leaving Dish.

I just got the call too.

If I understand their pitch right, they're offering discounts for 12 months (and 6 months for something we're getting free now) but after that, I'll be paying double.

You know, that poor lady who called me has got to have one of the crapiest jobs ever. lol

So, did they explain what will happen if you refuse to accept their offer?

Well if they're actually calling people and telling them that they're going to discontinue the package then I would figure that they plan on actually removing the package at some point in time in the future. . How long that will be though is anybody's guess.

Damn and I was hoping that we would not see much more posts of I am leaving DISH threads for awhile...

But looks like we will be seeing a lot more over the next few weeks.

What is they doing and why are they trying to upset paying customers AGAIN.

Grrrr...

Damn and I was hoping that we would not see much more posts of I am leaving DISH threads for awhile...

But looks like we will be seeing a lot more over the next few weeks.

What is they doing and why are they trying to upset paying customers AGAIN.

Grrrr...

My guess? The bean counters say that these subs aren't paying "enough" and then show the upper management how much more they could be getting off the subs if they went with a currently active programming package. They may or may not factor in sub loss into the whole equation. Or maybe it has something to do with their agreements with programming providers. Just my guesses though.

This is not good news at all, will be watching this thread very closely.

My guess? The bean counters say that these subs aren't paying "enough" and then show the upper management how much more they could be getting off the subs if they went with a currently active programming package. They may or may not factor in sub loss into the whole equation. Or maybe it has something to do with their agreements with programming providers. Just my guesses though.
It wouldn't surprise me if they were not making anything on that package. That I understand fully.

But when counting subscribers... all subscribers count and that should mean something...

I wonder if the caller is actually a 3rd party, underhandidly trying to sell a package upgrade.

Question is how the third party would know the absolute customers.

I wonder if this means they are getting close to working out a deal with Disney and they decided that the new contract will cost to much to have absolute.

Question is how the third party would know the absolute customers.

I wonder if this means they are getting close to working out a deal with Disney and they decided that the new contract will cost to much to have absolute.

Maybe dish is giving them the list in the hopes of getting folks to switch.

So, did they explain what will happen if you refuse to accept their offer?

They haven't set a date yet for when it is being cut off. Their pitch is that they want to give us time to "TRANSITION". I wonder if this is a marketing ploy to find out just what people are going to do if/when it is cut for sure. One thing they will find out that none of us are going to be happy campers.

Well, if Dish is indeed going to drop Absolute I guess it might be time for me to check out alternatives. What I would hate to lose though is the ton of recordings on my DVR, some of them going back to VOOM days. Does anyone know what is the least expensive plan to keep the DVR? Is there such a thing as locals only? Or something of that sort?

I saw the 2nd quarter figures for both Dish and Directv on bloomberg the other day.

Dish lost a bunch of subscribers and directv gained some.

Here is the LINK
Another article

I guess they need to continue that trend. ;)

If they drop my absolute package I will have to reevaluate from scratch, and I bet the other satellite company wins.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts