CONFIRMED(?)- Dish Discontinuing Absolute HD Package

Damn and I was hoping that we would not see much more posts of I am leaving DISH threads for awhile...

But looks like we will be seeing a lot more over the next few weeks.

What is they doing and why are they trying to upset paying customers AGAIN.

Grrrr...
...they are simply ridding themselves of all the low profit-margin customers. Although this is not how I would conduct business, I cannot fault them with their strategy. Of course, with this announcement coming at the end of a six-months cycle of screwing with their customers....well, all I can say is Dish Network can choke on their HD-Lite.

You can chalk me up as cancelling when they call me to say it is over.
Methinks the same, unless there is something else worth subscribing to for not a lot of money. I'm thankful the bill went down $5/month, but there's no way I'm paying $50 or more for TV every month.

You'd think they would only pull the plug if they were loosing money on the Absolute subs, I mean some income is better than none (as well as the claim of the extra 50 subs around the country)...

But then Dish has made a lot worse choices in the past, so it doesn't sound too unrealistic. I'm going to do nothing until it's official.

Well it has worked out quite well so far. However, my point is even if I'm 6months into a new contract at least I will get benefits for those six-months. If the package goes 'poof' then I will re-evaluate my options. Yes, DN can do all those things. However, if I do not agree to the new programming offered, then I can get out of my programming contract w/o an ETF. If this isn't true I will just wait. Either way, I will wait to see what happens with the plan.

the only thing you and I disagree on is making a new committment these days. Remember the ETF is $17.50/month for newer contracts and runs 24 months. So if you got mad/switched/whatever at 6 months in, the buyout is $315 making the 6 months true cost $52.50 more than you thought... :)

For Absolute subs that have received the call from the Dish grim reaper....

Did you ask if Locals Only was an option? And if so
what was the pricing with a leased DuoDVR (e.g. 622, 722, etc)?

FWIW due to our location, our only realistic options for any TV are Dish and DirecTV. Even OTA is only possible with a huge mast. But we don't watch that much TV. So Locals Only and Netflix would be a decent fit for us.

Talon Dancer

For Absolute subs that have received the call from the Dish grim reaper....

Did you ask if Locals Only was an option? And if so
what was the pricing with a leased DuoDVR (e.g. 622, 722, etc)?

FWIW due to our location, our only realistic options for any TV are Dish and DirecTV. Even OTA is only possible with a huge mast. But we don't watch that much TV. So Locals Only and Netflix would be a decent fit for us.

Talon Dancer

If you were to make a guess, how tall a mast would you need?

Ilya said:
Does it mean we will lose the Uplink Reports?!! :eek:

If Dish keeps this bs up there will be no one left to care about the uplink reports.

If this is true, a banner year continues for Dish.:(

If you were to make a guess, how tall a mast would you need?
200+ ft. That's the height of the hills that surround our property. But more importantly, the height of the hills between us and the local stations antennas which are at a lower elevation than our house. IOW the signal has to go up over the hills then down into a narrow valley.

Talon Dancer

If Dish keeps this bs up there will be no one left to care about the uplink reports.

If this is true, a banner year continues for Dish.:(

I'll keep doing them but I can't say whether the interest in doing them will be as high. I did them before I had Dish so, I doubt anything will change.

But as you said it seems like people are leaving left and right ;)

They can only contact me by email because I never gave dish my new number.
But if my absolute goes bye bye, so will I. And I won't hesitate in the slightest.

Besides, Like I said in other post. I am getting more and more of my shows off the net.

But then on the other hand. If I did want to get Direct. I can add it to all my other verizon services for 25 or 30 extra a month.
Regardless.
I aint going to worry about it.

Hey the beancunters have obviously taken over.

maybe someone should start a poll of number of subs lost this quarter. Closest guess wins something nice.

I might fund the prize it would be worth it:)

I wouldn't put a lot of stock in anything a CSR says. The CSR could be right, but a cool head would wait for news from higher up, as in, Scott's sources.

Wasn't a CSR, but a supervisor. What convinced me is that she gave me a number to call for the deparment that was handling the matter and it was the same number I was given for callback when I got the initial call. She couldn't have dreamed that up.

I'm sure there's more to it and it may not be as immediate as they tried to make me believe. The timing tells a lot. The Absolute package was not sold after August of 2008 if I remember right, so all the contracts have expired.

Argh, if it IS true then I'm pissed for a completely unrelated and selfish reason... I finally left absolute for AT200 last week... If I would have waited for the call I could have gotten the new sub rate for a year!?! Story of my life, day late and $20 short.

They can only contact me by email because I never gave dish my new number.
But if my absolute goes bye bye, so will I. And I won't hesitate in the slightest.

Besides, Like I said in other post. I am getting more and more of my shows off the net.

But then on the other hand. If I did want to get Direct. I can add it to all my other verizon services for 25 or 30 extra a month.
Regardless.
I aint going to worry about it.

see bundling can save big bucks....... charlie is encouraging many to shop around for TV:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)