CONFIRMED(?)- Dish Discontinuing Absolute HD Package

If its the goal of dish to drop the low margin subs, then why cater to them anyhow? Why create the package in the first place if there was going to be these kinds of issues in the long run. Great idea, but poorly executed in the end.

The way I see it is that there's obviously a new management team at Dish Network. They're overriding all the previous policies, packages and more because they see the opportunity to make more profits for investors with the new rules and policies. There's been a lot of changes in the last 18 months and most of them are to make more money for the company. Of course with all these new changes the customers are getting slammed.

A lot of folks are mad at the news, but honestly if they are FORCED to drop a bunch of channels from the package you guys would be mad that DISH is ripping you off and you get much less channels before. Its a no win here and in this case I agree with them discontinuing the package.
I understand the situation Dish is in if in fact some networks are requiring this. If Dish doesn't agree, ALL subscribers, including Absolute customers, will lose add'l channels. Once again, the networks are, IMO, the bad guy, with their demands.

The new management team is actually the OLD management team.

Many of them worked for DISH, left the company and now are back.

Whats old is new again. :)

I understand the situation Dish is in if in fact some networks are requiring this. If Dish doesn't agree, ALL subscribers, including Absolute customers, will lose add'l channels. Once again, the networks are, IMO, the bad guy, with their demands.

Hall, Ultimately somewhere down the line it will need to be decided how much is too much. The programmers always want more money and then they threaten to take away their channels if they dont get what they want.

The economy has not changed the programmers attitude and they still want more.

It dosen't matter who your satellite or cable company is, we are all paying the price. There has to be a breaking point and I think we are almost there.

Why create the package in the first place if there was going to be these kinds of issues in the long run.
Ding, ding, ding !! Bob nailed the real issue on the head, that is, Dish can't predict the future !! Man, I can't believe that Dish is that pathetic to be unable to do that ! Heh, D* can, can't they ?

Hall, Ultimately somewhere down the line it will need to be decided how much is too much. The programmers always want more money and then they threaten to take away their channels if they dont get what they want.

The economy has not changed the programmers attitude and they still want more.

It dosen't matter who your satellite or cable company is, we are all paying the price. There has to be a breaking point and I think we are almost there.
I know... I'm aware that this happens with Dish, DirecTV, and all of the cablecos too. Some bend over and take it and there's no big news story about it. Of course, there are those who believe it only applies to Dish. :confused:

I certainly believe that any company has a right to make a profit. I mean, how many of us want our paychecks to be exactly equal to our expenses ? Likely none of us do, but it's the same logic. I also think they (companies) could sit back and realize that making a 200 million dollar profit vs 250 million ain't really that bad. I don't want any gov't regulations here either, I want "morals" to factor in... Wishful thinking, eh ?

You can't do that with At&t...i've tried. They also said they have the right to discontinued unlimited data at any time.

Not True. My brother was able to keep his unlimited plan with AT&T and was told as long as he does not change it he keeps it with with his new iphone 4 swtich.

Sorry guys, this is my fault. Yesterday I canceled my Showtime and Cinemax subscriptions, so I think they looked at my account and realized they weren't making enough money off of Absolute. I guess I was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Really? I guess you missed a previous post of mine?

The cell phone companies still allow those who currently have the unlimited plan to keep the unlimited plan. How is this "not so different"?
Not according to a report on NBC News last night. At the end of contract, it changes. It will probably vary with each provider

Last edited:
Log in to your account, select "Programming" from left-hand side. "Dish America" is listed there. It's not a link to see what it is though.
FWIW My point was that if Dish is not publishing info on ANY "HD only" style account on it's web site, there is a very good chance that they are not really wanting folks to subscribe to HD only accounts. So switching from Absolute to Dish America may be a very short term solution :( Kind of like jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire :eek:

Trust me, switching to Dish America followed by switching to Locals Only will be my first two questions when the Dish grim reaper calls.

Talon Dancer

p.s. If I were a Dish Amerca/Siler/Gold sub I'd be preparing for when the other shoe drops.

Not True. My brother was able to keep his unlimited plan with AT&T and was told as long as he does not change it he keeps it with with his new iphone 4 swtich.
You can't change your contract and they CAN change unlimited anytime they want. Anyway, this isn't the topic, so it doesn't really matter anyway.

Happy owner of two 211-ViP R5000HD mods powered by Sagetv. It's going to be hard ($$$$$) to let dish go.
Best dvr system around.

I'll wait to see what discount they offer and then decide to hung around for one more year or not.

Nice active thread :p

It is quite possible programmers do not like the HD only packages, they want you to have (and pay) for ALL of their channels not just their HD ones.

Ding! Ding! Ding! I think we have a WINNER!

BOLD above added by me.

I'm sure a lot of what Dish does is driven by the providers. And if the OTA stations have their way, our bills will go WAY up. At that point, I might have to support Congressional moves to end OTA TV. :(

Well, then the old management is getting the company back to making profit at the expense of losing customers. :)

Gotta remember, the goal (duty?) of a for-profit company is to make profit, not to gain customers. Anyone forgetting that should recall the dot com boom and bust. Some of those business plans did not even bother to include the word "profit." They only addressed market share.

Anyone see Disney's 3Q? Up 40% ytd, steamed to a large part by ESPN. Carriage fees were not mentioned, but you know they were a significant part of it. I'm still with Charlie on this one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)