Confused by DirecTV practices

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Fotograffiti

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2006
Wisconsin
I am interested in DirecTV but am confused about everyone getting different deals from them. They offer one thing to one person and not to the other. They have deals that they give to people based on how many calls you make and how good of a day the CSR is having. I did call a few times to different numbers about the free HD-DVR, and got responses varying from "I don't know what you are talking about" to "That is just for people who are current NFL Ticket subscribers". Even though I have read stories of brand new signups getting that deal.
Everyone seems to have accepted this as the way it is but it seems like a shady way of doing business.

I don't see why; not everyones account status and record with the seller is the same.

Look at car sales, look at the better deal you can get "with approved credit". Look at other types of sales; if I am a better "haggler" than you I might get a better deal than you.

Everyone's situation and relationship with the seller is different. Once again, no scam, not shadiness, just how business works. We would hear just as many, if not more complaints about why they won't deal at all, if everything was priced as marked like at the grocery store.

I am assuming you are thinking about becoming a subscriber based on your quote, correct? If so, there are tons of freebie and promo deals, but I don't think a CSR is going to roll out more than the current offers for a new sub; but thats just my opinion. If you are a current sub, how long have you been one?

DirecTV Current Offers

and Call Robert @ ValueElectronics (link above) and tell him you are a member here.

No I am not a current subscriber. It isn't so much a person's standing with a company that I am worried about because I understand deals for longstanding customers. It is the fact that by many people's accounts here, it is dependent on what number you call and how many calls you make...and what mood the CSR is in. Some will get it offered right off the bat with no arguments and others might have to play "CSR Roulette" as it is referred to. Even some new customers have recieved the free HD-DVR deal. I have never been one of those "badger them till they break" kind of customers so I guess I wish satellite TV wasn't so much like car sales. I also wouldn't h ave a problem buying a DVR if they weren't replacing it right away.

Fotograffiti said:
No I am not a current subscriber. It isn't so much a person's standing with a company that I am worried about because I understand deals for longstanding customers. It is the fact that by many people's accounts here, it is dependent on what number you call and how many calls you make...and what mood the CSR is in. Some will get it offered right off the bat with no arguments and others might have to play "CSR Roulette" as it is referred to. Even some new customers have recieved the free HD-DVR deal. I have never been one of those "badger them till they break" kind of customers so I guess I wish satellite TV wasn't so much like car sales. I also wouldn't h ave a problem buying a DVR if they weren't replacing it right away.

You are right. This business is a little shaddy. I've been trying to have Sunday Ticket cancelled since May. D* automatically resubscribes you to it if you have ordered it before. I noticed for the last few months I was still authorized to recieve Sunday ticket after several calls to cancel it. Last night I saw I had been charged for it so I called. At first I was transfered four times and disconnected. The second time I actually talked to someone that cancelled it but before he did he offered it to me at half price. I still said no that it wasn't worth it to me. You put it right as CSR Roulette. Cable just simply rips everyone. I kind of like being able to haggle with them. If decide to get the service expect installer roulette. You can get everything from a kid that doesn't want to do squat to a seasoned pro that will have you going in no time.

Those new subscriber people that got freebies were more than likely getting what was the available free offer at the time; these offers change many, many times, and some are only for very short durations and may or may not include the same item offer to offer. Did you click the FREE build tool or call Value electronics yet? I am almost positive there is at least one offering a free install and a MPEG2 HD-DVR. CRS roulette is something a current customer would do.

http://www.valueelectronics.com/directivo DVR.htm

Last edited:
It's not shady unless a CSR only gives the deal to a limited number of subscribers.

Most make multible calls to find a CSR that knows what the deals are and how to give you them by entering them on the computer.

If I only had a dollar for everytime a CSR said "I can't find that in the computer"

REDANDBLACK said:
It's not shady unless a CSR only gives the deal to a limited number of subscribers.

How so? I have been to ball games where only the first 1000 in the dorr get the offering; how is that different or shady? Its a promo.

Heck in the retail area, look at cars, your deal might be different and better than my deal; based on saleman, my credit, my bank loan, etc, how is that shady of different. I guess anything can be labled shady if you feel slighted, whether true or not.

I deem shady as "sir I will send you a H20" yet you get a D11 and they won't replace it. OR You are bill $100 for something thats only $25 and they won't refund it. Having a computer error can happen, we see it everywhere, everyday.

Most make multible calls to find a CSR that knows what the deals are and how to give you them by entering them on the computer.

BUT this OP is NOT a sub yet, isn't he/she subject to the current offers of the day?

Last edited:
What you talk about here where they intentionally send you something different than you order, I consider as fraudulent , rather than "shady". I seem to be ruffling feathers with this question and I am not trying to anger anyone. I am not asking about a promo to the first 1000 customers either or anything like that because I understand that as well. Credit history doesn't come into play when 2 new customers ask about a promotion and one is told that there is no such thing and another is told "Sure, we can set that up for you" without any objections (because no credit check has been done at that point). I also am not talking about computer errors that can happen and I think that is evident as well. I am sorry if this post caused you to get so defensive and will try to refrain from posting in the future if I will just get attitude in return. Thanks to those with helpful responses.

charper1 said:
How so? I have been to ball games where only the first 1000 in the dorr get the offering; how is that different or shady? Its a promo.

Heck in the retail area, look at cars, your deal might be different and better than my deal; based on saleman, my credit, my bank loan, etc, how is that shady of different. I guess anything can be labled shady if you feel slighted, whether true or not.

I deem shady as "sir I will send you a H20" yet you get a D11 and they won't replace it. OR You are bill $100 for something thats only $25 and they won't refund it. Having a computer error can happen, we see it everywhere, everyday.

BUT this OP is NOT a sub yet, isn't he/she subject to the current offers of the day?

Also I did check out Value Electronics and they had a HD-DVR for $399. I am not looking for just the HD receiver or just the DVR receiver, otherwise I could get those free almost anywhere. I am pretty sure I am just going to hold out in hopes that the next HD-DVR will be here soon where I can just justify hundreds of dollars for the lease

You have not offended me nor do I have an attitude, just trying to explain that you are not being treated in a shady fashion and giving reasons why things can be different, and just because thing are different does not autmatically makes them some sort of scam or shady ripoff.

The next DVR will be considerably more than a few hundred for a new sub. The HR10-250 were $1000.00 when they first came out ( I'm told ) Ive been with cable before Directv and the customer service is no comparison between the two. Whenever I had a problem with Directv, It was always solved quickly ( and mostly in my favor ) They might ask you to recommit, but not a problem with me. Try calling a cable CSR, Especially when your without service. See how quick you get through and maybe you'll have to wait at least a week before a service call ( at least in South Florida - Comcast ) But that's my experience. I shoulda left cable sooner than I did...I admit I had to call a few times before I got the HR-DVR free, but i didn't expect to get it for free, I just got the right CSR.:cool:

Call a couple of LOCAL numbers... your proiblem is you are dealing with out of town "MARKETING" companies. Go with a local guy......... Damn.. stupid people.... the same thing wouldhappen if you were trying to buy a car via the phone....

Stupid me

Oh yeah...I forgot to ask my local DISH NETWORK dealer if he could help me get a free HD-DVR from DIRECTV. Yeah the only local dealer I have is a Dish dealer so forgive me if I didn't check with him first to see what his local DirecTV deals were. Damn...stupid people....

wobbie said:
Call a couple of LOCAL numbers... your proiblem is you are dealing with out of town "MARKETING" companies. Go with a local guy......... Damn.. stupid people.... the same thing wouldhappen if you were trying to buy a car via the phone....

charper1 said:

What D* offer is limited to the first 1000 people?

just the opposite here. i have never had a problem with a cable csr that wasn't easily rectified by talking to a supervisor, if need be. most of them are very friendly and helpful.

i got so fed up with all the lies that D* told me, i told them to shove it where the sun doesn't shine. i still haven't regretted going back to cable. the picture quality is outstanding and so is the customer service!!

Fotograffiti said:
I am interested in DirecTV but am confused about everyone getting different deals from them. They offer one thing to one person and not to the other. They have deals that they give to people based on how many calls you make and how good of a day the CSR is having. I did call a few times to different numbers about the free HD-DVR, and got responses varying from "I don't know what you are talking about" to "That is just for people who are current NFL Ticket subscribers". Even though I have read stories of brand new signups getting that deal.
Everyone seems to have accepted this as the way it is but it seems like a shady way of doing business.

There really isn't much to be confused about if you learn about human nature and how things work. Go out and hire 100 people and you'll get good, dedicated ones and ones that suck as well and then some "in between." Also, all 100 people won't be equal because some will be assistant managers or a higher level salesman than the other. Some people are just there to collect a paycheck while others care about their job and may have more flexibility to make a sale than others.

Is it a shady way to do business? Yes, but almost every company in the world does the same thing which is a lack of training. Companies won't spend the money to train people right. I would spend the money with my business but I put quality before profit which is rare. Then if you hire a turd then no amount of money or training will do any good. Most business models are profits first and try to get away with whatever they can without it hurting the bottom line too much. Quality is a distant priority to most. Good people are hard to find and DTV and E* aren't willing to pay what it would cost to get quality like many of the fine members here to work for them.

Quality in the long run will win you more business and money than trying to be cheap. People like to be treated well and good experiences will reap you repeat business while sour experiences may cost you a customer for life. My pet peeve is the pizza business. Here, you have some morons who think they are saving a dime by skimping on the toppings (especially sauce) when in fact if the pizza sucks then I won't be back again for at least 6 months. Hello, Wake up! Give me a good pizza and spend that dime then perhaps I'll do business with you two or three times a month instead of you saving that one dime by cheating me out of a good product thus losing my business for at least 6 months at a time.

Let's assume that the GPM of a sucky pizza is 70%. So a sucky pizza that cost $10 will gross you
$7. You skimp on the topping to save a dime so the pizza sucks so I only buy two per year so you gross $14 from me per year. Lets say that the toppings (pizza) are good from another parlor and their GPM goes down to 65% for a gross of $6.50 per pizza. I decide that I like that pizza and buy 24 for the year (not to mention my good word of mouth--advertising) from the good pizza parlor so their gross profit is $156 from me instead of $14 for the bad guys. So it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that these pizza skimmers are dickheads and are screwing themselves by skimping. They may think they are saving a dime but in reality losing hundreds of dollars.

Profits are nice but I'm old school or whatever the hell you call it and spending the extra money for quality in the long run will reap you more money. But I guess greed blinds most.

Speaking of pizza, did you ever walk into a local shop and the person that handles or makes your food also runs the cash register? YUCK!!!! Germs!!!!

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts