Confused with second dish install for local chan.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mmdt101

Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
First let me suck up and give thanks to the admins of this site and for the great services that it provides. Sincerely, thank you!

I'm a pretty serious DIY'er. When I first heard that local channels were available I ran and called DirectTv to order. That was the first I heard I would need a second dish. They did offer the free install. Being the DIY'er I am, I politely declined...I'm now rethinking this. I've installed quite a few single dishes for family and friends, but never a triple LNB.

Anyway, I ran out and purchased a phase III dish with the built in multi-switch. After experimenting and nothing happening, I started doing some research. Yes, I'm the type to put the instructions to the side and jump in, then later pull out the instructions to finish the job the right way.

What I currently have:
single dish with 2 lnb's
RCA DRD435RH and RCA DRD486RH IRD's
and now the new mult. sat dish, phase III w/ the built in multiswitch.

I do not have DVR or any similar device for recording, and very unlikely that I will ever add. Although, in time, it is likely I add HD programming. I am also in the Columbia, MO area.

This is what I think I need to be doing:
Perm. mount 2nd dish-I have absolutely no obstructions.
making sure perfectly level and plumb, etc.
set coordinates, ele:44.6, Tilt: 5.8 and Azim: 184.8
Purchase 5x8 cascadable multiswitch

At what point do I run auto-configure on the receiver? While "playing", it searched for several minutes and came back with a msg that it was not recognized or found (something to that effect).

When I go through the receiver's setup menu (I've switched the dish sitting to the triple dish), there is no signal meter for the 72.5 sat? Is there not one? If there's not, I assume I would need a separate signal meter?

I do know the test channels are on 495 and 496.

What else may I be missing or need?

Thanks again!

Welcome mmdt!

I moved your post to the Driectv area. Some one who has gone through this should be able to help out (I don't have Directv so I don't know how the 2nd dish hooks up) :)

Welcome to Satelliteguys!! :welcome

You will need a 6X8 multiswitch as the 5X8 allows for 4 satellite inputs and 1 OTA antenna input for 8 tuners. The 6X8 will allow you hook all 4 satellite inputs from the Phase-III dish and a satellite input from the dish pointed at 72.5.

This will get both your Phase-III and single dish working together.

Thanks! The 6x8 makes sense. I wasn't thinking of the ota antenna.

I'm still perplexed on the signal meter for the 72.5 sat. How do I know when I've got it and to fine tune the signal?

Your 5x8 should work. Set your ph3 dish up for 101-110-119. use your existing dish for 72.5.
you won't have a signal meter for 72.5 till you have locked on the bird and do the update.
you really need a meter to install it .

A triple LNB won't also pull locals?We live in Northern Va and get everything through the triple LNB dish---HD--SD--Local channels(the HD versions we get OTA)What is the purpose of having two dishes,is it your location.Installing a triple LNB is easy just takes a couple seconds more to get the tilt right,had no problems hooking up mine

make sure you hook it up right. you need to run all 4 cables from the phase III lnb multi switch to the 6x8 multi switch. at least thats what the installer told me had to be done as i watched him do the install.

for the 72.5 sat you need the 2nd dish because it's a fourth satellite. some locals aren't on the other satellites.

Thanks again! Having locals on a separate sat. is just frustrating. I know eventually I'd need the newer dish and I can stomach that, but having two dishes? I can live with it, but can I live with my wife and have two dishes??They sure aren't making it easy on us.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)