confusion for new subscriber on dvr options

eddieras

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
i've been reading (and reading and reading) these and other boards on Dish and my options. I've used the dishbuilder (is it me or is this a piece of junk), i've 'chatted' with live agents but still have questions.

i have two HD Tv's - one is our home theatre where we watch family shows and i watch hockey (centre ice hopefully). the other tv is 90% for the kids, with a few wife shows typically.

i know the 722 has two ouputs but i'm worried i'd fill that hard drive up fairly quickly recording for 4 people.
what i'd love is two HD DVR's but i realize that's not possible, unless i buy one myself, which i'm not ready to do till i know dish is for me.

is it possible to get one 722 and another NON HD DVR from Dish (for the kids)? i asked the chat csr the same question 3x and all he kept saying was the 722 will do that!

or am i wrong with my hesitation about the 722 handling both tvs??

also, does the 722 integrate OTA into its guide (ala the HR10 250).

i'm presently with directv and want to switch but dish is making it very difficult, esp regarding centre ice.

thanks so much!!

As a new subscriber, you would be able to get a 722 and a 625 (non HD DVR).
They will provide equipment for up to four rooms, even though you may only use them in two. In addition, the 722 now supports External Hard Drive for archiving recordings onto the separate drive as well as watching from it. Yes, the 722 will integrate HD channels into the guide as long as you subscribe to SD locals. You probably want to go with one of the DVR advantage plans that would include the locals and DVR fee.

After a year, you would be able to upgrade (for about $100.00) to a second 722 (swapping out the 625), then you would be at your maximum for that receiver.

Another option would be to get the 722 and a 211 (instead of the 625) for the second HDTV. You can still hook it (HDTV #2) to the 722 for watching recordings, but HDTV #2 would now have an HD tuner via the set's HDMI input.

Last edited:
I think KAB answered most of your questions but I'll add two things:

1) You can hold a LOT of programs on the DVR's drive. I wouldn't be too worried about filling it up. You also have external storage options available now.

2) When you use DishBuilder or call, I'm guessing you're telling them you have (2) TVs. Tell them you have (3) and you want DVR service for all of them. You'll get a 622/722 for the HDTV plus your "other" TV and a 625 for the non-HDTV set.

Yes, the 722 will integrate HD channels into the guide as long as you subscribe to SD locals. You probably want to go with one of the DVR advantage plans that would include the locals and DVR fee.

thank you so much for the quick reply and info- just to clarify - so i can pull local HD from my antenna (OTA) and as long as i subscribe to the SD locals the 722 will integrate the ota locals into the guide for dvr functioning, etc?

the dvr advantage confuses me too :confused: - is that applied to any programming package? when i check the dish website it says "get over 200 of your favorite channels, including SIRIUS music and your local channels, plus 2-room DVR service and Free Standard Professional Installation" for $49.99.

when i click on 'more details' it says 100 channels for $39.99?? assuming i want the 200 channels, then i'd add hbo/ showtime ($22) HD ($20) and i guess the lease fee? is that correct?

wait...but now i see versus is not on the 200 channel listing! aahhh! but versus is on the HD SPORTS page- would i still get versus via the HD Tier when it's not listed on the 200 package?

geez.. i'm sorry to babble on like this - i do appreciate all your help and assistance - i think i'll call dishstore too, perhaps they can help educate me!!

You would have to subscribe to AT250 to get the VS sd feed in order to get the VS/Golf HD feed.

DVR Advantage covers one dvr fee and one lease fee. You can do it with the AT 100 or AT200.

HBO/Showtime added on to dvr advatage would run $20.

get a 722 and do an instant dishin it up upgrade for a second 722 this way you will have 700hours of standard recording and 110 hours of HD recording . this setup will cost you $199 with a $100 rebate

stop wasting time with 625 it is not worth it

and you can always activate the hard drive option and $39.99 will cover both your DVRs

Get the americas everything package and you wont have to pay any DVR fees

PM me if you have any other questions

get a 722 and do an instant dishin it up upgrade for a second 722 this way you will have 700hours of standard recording and 110 hours of HD recording . this setup will cost you $199 with a $100 rebate

stop wasting time with 625 it is not worth it

and you can always activate the hard drive option and $39.99 will cover both your DVRs

Get the americas everything package and you wont have to pay any DVR fees

PM me if you have any other questions

happy is so very incorrect about the instant second 722. OK, trying to be simple. If you have to have Versus or Nat Geo, do DVR advantage 250. Otherwise, DVR Advantage 200. Taking the advise of HALL, you need to call instead of trying to figure it out on the website. And YES call dishstore!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
so i shouldn't try for an 'instant second 722'?? what do suggest, kab?

thanks again - i wil call dishstore!

so i shouldn't try for an 'instant second 722'?? what do suggest, kab?

thanks again - i wil call dishstore!

Once again, you can not lease two 722's right off the bat. So end of that discussion, OK? Now, the more I think about your situation, I would go with a 722 and a 211. The 211 will send real HD to your second HDTV. I mean, why have a second HD set and not watch HD limited to OTA? As I said before, you can still hook it up to the 722 for watching recordings. AND, if all goes according to plan, the 211 will support an External Hard Drive around the first of next year. But one caveat, the 211 EHD will not be interchangeable with the 722's, at least as of last report. Also keep in mind that you will be able to get another 722 (by trading the 211) after one year. And don't forget what HALL said, be sure you convey that you want to service 3 TVs. Call Dishstore. Have fun!!

Last edited:
ok - another quick question - if i tell dishstore i want 3 tvs hooked up (as suggested) what do i do when they get here? (i have two HD tv but would like separate dvr on each) == and won't they want to sell me 3 receivers?

ok - another quick question - if i tell dishstore i want 3 tvs hooked up (as suggested) what do i do when they get here? (i have two HD tv but would like separate dvr on each) == and won't they want to sell me 3 receivers?
Dude, just call them, tell them what you want, they'll tell you what it will cost or not cost! You're wasting time and energy here.

Yep, you need 2 (722)'s to get HDTV on each TV and DVR service. You gonna have to buy the 2nd HD DVR if you got to have it now. Otherwise, 722 for 1 TV and you can get a 211 in the deal for the 2nd tv, HD box, just won't record, yet. They might enable it to do that at a later date with an external hard drive purchase ?

If you want it now, get a 722 for 1st TV, and if you have more thatn 2 TV's, get a receiver or 2 for TV 3 and 4 and buy you a 622 off ebay. Just watch the bid history of the sell, and before purchase, get the R# and call dish to make sure you can activate it and that it not leased or that it doesn't have a balance. They people at Dishstore are very good to help, I have bought a bunch of stuff through them.

thanks guys - i did call them- i'm telling them i got 3 tvs (when i have two) and i was just wondering what to do when they get here to install for 3 tvs....

thanks guys - i did call them- i'm telling them i got 3 tvs (when i have two) and i was just wondering what to do when they get here to install for 3 tvs....
They won't care. But you should try to get an old SD set just to test the TV2 output in case you ever want to use it.

Better yet, keep the SD set you're replacing. Set it right next to one of the HDTVs and tell the installer you don't want it hooked up and what you plan to do. If he says "I have to connect it to a 2nd TV", there you go. Most will understand what you're doing.

OK - i called and ordered directly from dishstore as recommended by many- but i must say, i got some erroneous info and i'm feeling a bit unsettled.

i was told locals are included in AEP - i asked 3x are you sure and he insisted. after the order i called dish and was told they are an additional $5/ month.
i was told by dishstore that my monthly bill would be $115 (aep, locals, hd, and the 211 and 722 receiver) - dish said it'd be $126.98. dish said the protection plan is $5.99 (and part of that 126). i then called back dishstore and they assured me they were correct and that the PP was included. he backed off on the locals bit. i then also realized that HBO/ Cine was free for 3 mos so i asked the guy at dishstore how'd they'd handle that, since i got AEP - he said they'd take off another $20/ month for 3 mos - this in addition to the $20 off for HD for 6 months.

I asked dish if i can straighten all this out now and they said not till after my receivers are activated. they wouldn't make any changes or adjustments - told me to wait till activation. said if they do i'll 'loose my install date'.

so - i'm not feeling too comfortable at the moment- install is sunday. just who should i call back (dishstore or dish) and should/ can i straighten this out prior to sunday or do i really need to wait till activation??

Dish Network really can't help you much. You're *not* a customer yet. :) Call DishStore and get everything confirmed.... Hate to think you have to talk to Claude. He should have to personally handle everything.

Dish Network really can't help you much. You're *not* a customer yet. :) Call DishStore and get everything confirmed.... Hate to think you have to talk to Claude. He should have to personally handle everything.

thanks... so is that correct, that with AEP i'd get 20 off /month in lieu of the 3 months for the HBO/ Cinemax freebee?

so should i ask for claude? is he owner, mgr???