Connecticut Voomers thread

madpoet

Too Much Hi Def!
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 3, 2004
Vernon, CT
Ok, so there seem to be a few of us here like Scott and pmvalve. I thought we deserved our own state thread ;). I'm not installed yet (4/3) but I know a few others are. Just thought we could use our own state thread to share experiences.

Next Tuesday

I'll be a Voomer next Tuesday, me hopes.

I pretty close to getting 3 out of 4 majors (and WB) OTA in Seymour (Great Hill), I think perhaps joining whatever antenna the installer brings with my CM 4228 and a preamp in my attic will put me over the edge for a strong signal on all stations I get.

New Haven, CT voomer here. Overall a good install experience and I’m very pleased with Voom.

OTA however is a mess and I’m only receiving one channel (ABC) which is not due to poor channel mapping but the overall state of DTV here in southern Connecticut. CBS is running at very low power and PBS is flakey at best.

My solution has been to go with “limited basic” cable and add an HDTV STB from Comcast. I’ll be posting a thread on this later today as this is an amazing deal for New England Comcast users (DTV locals, ESPN-HD + two channels of INHD for about 20 dollars a month) You are NOT required to subscribe to expanded basic or Digital cable services.

Let me chime in with my experience. I'm in Vernon and had some problems getting the initial installation but many of the local channels seems to be working quite well. I currently get 3-1 in springfield, 3-2 in hartford, 8 in new haven, 20 waterbury, 26 new london, 30 in hartford. I am not getting 59 or 61 in my location. I had to add a rotor with the standard stealth antenna but it seems to work quite well.

- dave

I had a discussion with the Head Engineer at WFSB today... that's the ONLY CBS broadcaster in CT.

The station is on Avon Mountain and they are currently broadcast (and have been for years) at reduced power and with a temporary antenna. I only bring it up because it's one of my most watched stations and without it, I don't know if I can move to voom yet.

Anyway, per the situation he said:

We are still in the process of increasing the capacity of our tower.
Our tower riggers were pushed back on WVIT's tower and WTIC's tower because of weather. They have done some modifications, but have not completed the entire project.

Until these modifications can be done, the new digital antenna cannot be mounted. Since the weather has been getting better, my tower rigger has promised to have multiple crews on the tower to erect the required steel.

Contrary to what has been said in the "forums", we ARE determined to finish this project. From setbacks of getting a building permit to being held up with weather, it has been more frustrating for me then for the viewers. I have a great bunch of veteran engineer's working on this project that many people in the forums know.

I hope this helps.

and then when I asked about an ETA:

I can't give you a definite date because a lot of what has to be done is out of my control. As long as mother nature cooperates, we should be up soon.

Also, as for March Madness, CBS only allows us to air what's on our analog channel on our digital channel. We tried airing different games last year on our HD channel while the war was going on our analog channel and we were caught by CBS. By us being so close to New York, a lot of CBS exec's watch us rather then WCBS.

Just an FYI

He seems committed... so that's a good sign. I think we all have the stations previous management and corporate for their lack of drive until now.

Wtic?

Does anyone recieve WTIC with their Voom reciever? I dont even get a blip of a signal but I can lock on WFSB fine. Think that is wierd. Was wwondering if they didnt set it up right. I can't wait until we can scan ourselves.

I did get some info from WTIC that the FCC is allowing them to operate at full power but a temporary height of the antenna at the site. The landlord of the site is going to make the changes to the height but it may take about a year for that :(

The landlord for the WTIC antenna would be the company I work for. :)

The delay in placing the antenna at the top is because the tower will need a cendelabra on the top to host all 3 antennas. That antenna will be hosting FOX 61- WTIC (Analog and Digital), WTXX WB-20 (Digital) and WEDH PBS-24 (Digital).

From what I understand there was some problem with the frequency assigned to WEDH which would have caused interferance to another broadcaster. So now they are waiting for a new frequency assignment from the FCC.

Once that is in place WEDH can order the necessary transmitters and antenna equipment they need, and then the work on the antenna can be done.

Check out http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=315169 for more information, and look for posts from ACHASE. Arnold is the owner of the Antenna and has been answering peoples questions about whats going on to the best of his ability. :)

Any word on when FOX 61- WTIC will be carried on Comcast DTV/HDTV ?

As it stands - WFSB (CBS), WVIT (NBC), WTNH (ABC) and PBS are being carried in DTV/HDTV.

hd_SDI_1080i said:
Any word on when FOX 61- WTIC will be carried on Comcast DTV/HDTV ?

As it stands - WFSB (CBS), WVIT (NBC), WTNH (ABC) and PBS are being carried in DTV/HDTV.

How I wish I could get Comcast (for the locals)... OR have all of the local majors broadcasting at 100% power OTA already.

Telemedia (the worst cable co. ever) finally started offering HD, despite the CSR's not knowing a clue about. But, apparently WTNH is the only HD local! And, it's the easiest to get OTA...of course. If they get the others, I'm going to use them until the rest of the majors get straightened out OTA. Then maybe back to Voom once their DVR is out.

Cox is my cable company, and they do have HDTV (Only 4 channels or so) and to just get HD its about $70 a month and thats not including HBO-HD which is extra.

Yep, Cox services my new area also. Their pitiful HD offering made me cringe. I did just have a lovely argument with one of their CSRs about the FCC regulations requiring firewire-capable boxes to any customer who requests it by April 1 :)

Scott Greczkowski said:
Cox is my cable company, and they do have HDTV (Only 4 channels or so) and to just get HD its about $70 a month and thats not including HBO-HD which is extra.

I guess the only good solution for everyone is to keep pushing these OTA stations in CT to get to full power with their final antennaes already. Then we could use Voom as an economical alternative to cable or more premium programming without a fee for local HD.

any ct voomers recieving 61.1 fox

I was wondering if I am the only one having trouble getting a signal on 61.1 FOX. The channel shows up in my program guide but not on the Voom zap2it online guide. I know I recieve it because when I plug the same antenna in my Directv box I recieve the channel 100% signal. Any suggestions? its not the box I swapped it with the one from my bedroom same problem. Called Voom they have no idea.... If anyone can help please let me know. Area code is 06250 Mansfield CT

xboxer said:
I was wondering if I am the only one having trouble getting a signal on 61.1 FOX. The channel shows up in my program guide but not on the Voom zap2it online guide. I know I recieve it because when I plug the same antenna in my Directv box I recieve the channel 100% signal. Any suggestions? its not the box I swapped it with the one from my bedroom same problem. Called Voom they have no idea.... If anyone can help please let me know. Area code is 06250 Mansfield CT

I have the same problem. I emailed voom but got no response. If I can get this straightened out I will have all the networks. Surprised I got Channel 3. That was a bonus. Heard a lot of horror stories about trying to get it. I figure if I can get 3 than 61 should be fine. I get 20 that is broadcasting from the same tower. Channel 20's transmitter is lower on the tower than 61. I wish there was a way to scan because I think Voom reciever tunes in the wrong channel when we turn on 61.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)