Connecting Dish 322 to PC TV tuner

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

fordtruckman

Original poster
Oct 31, 2008
I'm trying to connect my tv tuner on my PC to my dish 322 box and it doesn't seem to be working. I've tried connecting it to TV 1 and putting it on ch 3 & 4 and also tried to connect to it TV 2 but no such luck. I called tech support for Dish and one person said it could be done but didn't tell me how and the other told me it cannot be done for unspecified reasons.

I'm trying to get out of buying another box for my office when I have a tuner on my pc. I want to spit the signal going directly to the tv from the box either 1 or 2 and make it play on my pc too! Any ideas?

An NTSC TV tuner (the old analog variety) will work just fine, either for TV1 or TV2 or both combined! What does "doesn't seem to be working" really mean? Does the PC tuner work in other scenarios, such as antenna, cable TV, or VCR? You are scanning for new channels, aren't you? You are "looking" at the antenna input, and not S-video or composite inputs, aren't you?

I'm trying to connect my tv tuner on my PC to my dish 322 box and it doesn't seem to be working. I've tried connecting it to TV 1 and putting it on ch 3 & 4 and also tried to connect to it TV 2 but no such luck. I called tech support for Dish and one person said it could be done but didn't tell me how and the other told me it cannot be done for unspecified reasons.

I'm trying to get out of buying another box for my office when I have a tuner on my pc. I want to spit the signal going directly to the tv from the box either 1 or 2 and make it play on my pc too! Any ideas?

It does work. If you have a card that does both Digital and Analog, just make sure you're selecting Analog to get channel 3 or 4.

okay not to steal the thread or anything, but i have a quick question.. i have a dell XPS one PC (all in one unit) when i bought this from dell they advertised it as a HDTV/PC ect. ect.. well after getting dish installed in my house about 2 weeks ago i got the VIP222 reciever on my PC and it works fine but i dont have any HD hook ups on the PC. the best i got is S-video:mad: if i hook a coaxil cable from the reciever to the PC will it broadcast HDTV? i dont think it is capable of broadcasting HD through coaxil cable, right?? if not does anyone know any other way??? thanks
Bryce

okay not to steal the thread or anything, but i have a quick question.. i have a dell XPS one PC (all in one unit) when i bought this from dell they advertised it as a HDTV/PC ect. ect.. well after getting dish installed in my house about 2 weeks ago i got the VIP222 reciever on my PC and it works fine but i dont have any HD hook ups on the PC. the best i got is S-video:mad: if i hook a coaxil cable from the reciever to the PC will it broadcast HDTV? i dont think it is capable of broadcasting HD through coaxil cable, right?? if not does anyone know any other way??? thanks
Bryce

You can only get HD through HDMI or the component output from a 222. S-Video is the best you're gonna get if your card doesn't have any of those inputs.

i have a dell XPS one PC (all in one unit) when i bought this from dell they advertised it as a HDTV/PC ect. ect..
I looked that one up, and it's a gorgeous PC. It's claim to HDTV fame is it's integrated ATSC tuner, along with the optional Bluray player. As you noted, there are no regular HDTV inputs suitable for the 222.

thanks man!!! for looking that up for me... i should have did a little more research before purchasing... now that just fuels my fire to buy a plasma HDTV and hang it on the wall in the pool room.. :D.. one other question.. how does a reciever transfer HD signals from the primary TV to the secondary TV?? just wondering.. thanks for all your help guys
Bryce

Wow! That HD PVR is awesome. Wonder if Santa should bring me that, or a PS3? Choices, choices......

torp

Look at the Hauppauge HD PVR. Has component inputs to record HDTV output from any component source, only $250 records H.264 files directly to your HDD via USB 2.0 connection.
HD PVR Product overview

BlackMagic also has a PCIe card that has H264 HDMI input - also $250.
Blackmagic Design: Intensity

one other question.. how does a reciever transfer HD signals from the primary TV to the secondary TV??
Depends upon what you mean by "secondary TV." I believe all the tuners in your 222 are capable of receiving HD. When the firmware becomes available, they can all record in HD as well. HD output is only available for TV1 in the form of HDMI and component jacks. If your "secondary TV" is hooked up to the 222 TV2 outputs, then that is only SD.

I have about 30' of HDMI cable and a feedthrough in the line, and that works fine. Other folks have used 50' of HDMI cable without a problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)