Connecting PS3 to the internet...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

fhsucade07

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 10, 2007
I was just wondering if any of you have any advice. I thought of simply removing the modem from my PC and moving it to the living room in order to access the PS Network. However, I know that accessing a site like this will likely be much easier on a PC and it seems cumbersome to remove it from the PS3 to the PC (where I sometimes work from home) and vice-versa. Can I simply purchase a modem and ethernet cable somewhere (Best Buy, Circuit City) and use it for the PS3 or do I need some other connection? Also, I was curious about YouTube. Can you access YouTube from your PS3 and watch videos?

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with my purchase. I wrestled between purchasing a PS3 or a 360 but, because I had always been PS loyal, decided on the Playstation 3. I'm starting to LOVE GTA IV and am getting used to the controls. (I enjoyed controlling the player with the D-Pad more but am starting to get used to the R3 and L3 buttons for this game).

I just feel like I'm sort of "missing out" without the ability to connect to the internet.

Cade

You say remove modem from PC? What type of modem are you talking about?

If you have broadband, just get a wireless router if you have any model PS3 other than the 20gb version.

It's a SpeedStream modem that was brought by Windstream when I signed up for DSL service. How difficult is it to set up a wireless connection?

I have the 40GB PS3.

Cade

Ok, just wanted to make sure you had broadband and not dial up (wasn't too sure based on your 1st post).

Setting up the router would not be hard, but each brand is different. The wizard discs they include now are pretty easy for almost anyone to use and configure the router. You could stay hard wired to the PC, just use the wireless for the PS3.

yep as Satinkzo said get a cheap wirless router something like this
Newegg.com - LINKSYS WRT54G IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11b/g Wireless-G Broadband Router - Wireless Routers or you can go to bestbuy and buy one.
Then when you set up, the modem goes to the router, the router goeas to you pc, I would recommend with the same cable you connect to the modem today, and then you will need to set it up, that process is documented or as was said there are "wizards" to help you through.
One quick note, most routers i have seen, dont mention changing the security protocol, i would suggest at a minimum changing it from WEP to WPA. (you'll see this in the screens when setting up)
You create a password and then you will need to enter that password into the ps3. I write my password down and stick it to the router so i dont forget it.

hope that helps

talk to your isp and see if they support modems that have wireless routers built in and/or if they can get you something like that. We had to upgrade our 2wire from ATT a while back since the dang modem they originally put in died totally. We ended up upgrading to another 2 wire from them that cost around a hundred bucks... yes, not cheap, but it came with several ports on the back as well as acting as a wireless access point. I didn't realize it was wireless til I actually needed wireless with the wii. Before that I thought it was just an expensive modem and ATT was screwing us again on the bill... lol. I'm glad I got it now, no routers to deal with, just the modem by itself, which acts like a router. I used to have to deal with wired routers to get secondary machines going behind cable way back in the day when we actually paid extreme prices for cable with internet. I remember that cheap router got really hot. I'm glad we went fta and got dsl nowadays and have one modem that does it all!

This s all much easier than you think. Once the router is set up with the wizard the PS3 shoudl see it. I once had some difficulty setting up a wireless printer but the PS 3 setup is largely automatic.

Just a note, I had an issue with WPA vs. WEP. The PS3 would not work with the higher encryption standard, tried the password like 15 times, it worked when I dropped down to the lower standard.

Just a note, I had an issue with WPA vs. WEP. The PS3 would not work with the higher encryption standard, tried the password like 15 times, it worked when I dropped down to the lower standard.

Not sure why you had a problem. The PS3 has no trouble running WPA2 or WPA, and you should certainly try to run with the highest security you can.

I had no issues running on WPA or WEP. It should work with either.

Use WiFi. You will have to do some research on keeping the PS3 connected if you use security, but there is a lot if info about that at the PS forums.

Not sure why you had a problem. The PS3 has no trouble running WPA2 or WPA, and you should certainly try to run with the highest security you can.

That makes 2 of us! My PS3 was detecting the wireless network no problem, but no matter how many times I entered the encryption key for WPA, no dice. That was a few months ago. I probably need to give it another shot and see if I can get it to work now that I am on the newest 2.35 firmware and see if any of the subsequent updates might have resolved the issues. Maybe giving it a fresh try might do the trick.

The wireless router is the best way to go. However, you can hard wire the PS3 to the router if needed (granted both devices are in the same location unless you want to run a long ethernet cable) You will get the best possible/reliable connection for your PS3 this way. Also, another good reason that you should get a router is for firewall protection. Right now, by using your DSL modem only, you are a sitting duck for unwanted intrusions. Also, be careful with a wireless router as the default settings usually leave your router's wireless open to unwanted traffic. I suggest finding a family member or friend that knows something about networking to help you get set up.

However, you can hard wire the PS3 to the router if needed (granted both devices are in the same location unless you want to run a long ethernet cable) You will get the best possible/reliable connection for your PS3 this way.

Even if the router and PS3 are not in the same room you can still do the hard wire thing with the use of HomePlugs. I use them and they work great.

I just set mine up this past weekend with a linksys wireless router, i programmed it use the mac addresses on my laptop and PS3 so its very secure, went into network settings on the ps3 and was off and running, pretty cool cuz you can download cheap games to the PS3 from the PS3 store

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)