Connecting TV2 output on 622 to a PC?

StormyQ

Original poster
Apr 2, 2004
I am using the Home Distribution output to feed TV2 to an adjoining office. I have a Media Center PC with a Hauppauge WinTV-PVR 150 card. So I connected the coax to the RF input on the tuner card. I install the WinTV2K application that comes w/ Hauppauge cards and run the auto scan w/ antenna being the source. It completes the scan, finding only ch.60 (as expected since this is the channel TV2 is modulated to by the 622).

However no picture is displayed when tuned to ch.60. Just a black screen showing ch.60 at the bottom. I have the 622 powered on in dual mode. I try another auto-scan with no results.

Out of curiosity, I launch the Media Center application and go to the TV setup utility. It does not find anything on its auto-scan so I select manual setup. I pick satellite as the source and it displays a list of channels/inputs to select from. Nothing on ch.3, ch.4, etc. But strangely enough, it displays the TV2 signal when I click on S-Video, even though I have connected the coax to the "TV Connector" input, and nothing connected to S-Video. Oh well, I choose next and it stops me there saying that no IR remote is detected so my only optino is to cancel.

Has anyone successfully connected TV2 to a PC using a Hauppauge (or any other) card? Anything w/ the 622 I may be overlooking?

I'm not sure I can help, but I certainly want to know the results since I am in the process of getting a 622 oe 222 to hook it up to my internal home distribution system.

Two things to check: When you did the channel scan on the TV card, you noted that you chose "antenna" as the source...seems as if you should have chosen "cable" since the channels above 6 are different on cable and antenna. Since you picked up a channel 60 signal, it could be comming from a radiated carrier from the 622 and not the actual cable itself.

Second, to see if the 622 is indeed "broadcasting" its second channel on TV2 and Ch 60...did you try to place a regular TV (with cable input) on the home distribution to ensure that indeed it is the TV card or the 622 settings.

This might help give you some ideas as to what might be wrong...again I can't help you with the 622 settings because I do not have one.

Can't think of anything that would be different, but I have tv2 on my 625 going to a PVR-150. I have the channel set at 50 however and antenna as the source. Working fine. If you can't get it working I can see if I have a long piece of coax and pull tv 2 from my 622 to the computer room just to see if it works here.

jwc has a good point - you need to tell the 622 whether you want to output in off-air or cable mode to match whichever your TV2 (PC card) is expecting (check pg. 101 in the User's Guide) but ch 60 is in the off-air channel range. Can your PC card receive off-air signals? You want to choose 2 channels close together for TV1 and TV2 via the coax ("Agile RF Output"); use the Modulator Set-up screen to confirm all these settings. The Guide also details several things to try for no picture on TV2.

Also - if you are in the Single mode you need to activate "Shared View" in the 622 in order to receive the TV1 programs via TV2 connections (pg 86 in the Guide). In the Dual mode, that doen't affect anything. If your TV1 is working you might want to try Single mode temporarily. There might be some issue with tuner 2 that it's not sending a signal to TV2 in Dual mode. Hope some of this helps...

Last edited:
I have my 622 setup with my Wintv 250 with no issues (uses the same applications as the 150). The only difference I have my set to cable instead of antenna.

StormyQ said:
Out of curiosity, I launch the Media Center application and go to the TV setup utility. It does not find anything on its auto-scan so I select manual setup. I pick satellite as the source and it displays a list of channels/inputs to select from. Nothing on ch.3, ch.4, etc. But strangely enough, it displays the TV2 signal when I click on S-Video, even though I have connected the coax to the "TV Connector" input, and nothing connected to S-Video. Oh well, I choose next and it stops me there saying that no IR remote is detected so my only optino is to cancel.

If it's showing a picture when you select S-Video and nothing is hooked to the S-Video input, something somewhere in your software configuration is screwed up. Since I don't run MCE, I have no idea what. But I'd try fixing that first, then seeing if the channel mapping has fixed itself too.

They all have some good points above, not knowing your PC and the PVR-150, I would suspect you may have some issues with the PC setup. Assuming your computer came with Win XP Media Center Edition, your computer already had some sort of audio/video input/output. Then you probably added the PVR-150 tuner card. The two setups are probably conflicting with each other. It is possible that the PVR-150 software is finding the signal, mapping it to XP Media which is processing the signal as if it is coming from your PC's S-Video input.

On a Toshiba laptop I have with Win XP Media Center, I had it working good when I had it directly connected to cable, then when I switched the input from direct cable to the RF output (CH 3/4) of a DirecTV receiver, I had problems with it, when I ran the setup again to get rid of the cable channels and just use TV 3, it would find Channel 3, but would no longer find the remote. I had to do this each time I turned it on. For some unknown reason it acted as if it did not want to forget the original configuration and use a new one. Eventually, I just reformatted the hard drive and started over, which was easier than trouble shooting the setup, registry, etc...

As previously said, connect a TV to the cable and see if you have a good picture and sound. If not fix that first. Using Air Mode/TV Channels 21 - 69 or Cable Mode/Cable Channels 73 - 125. If you are modulating both TV1 and TV2, separate the channels by more than 1 (60 & 63, vice 60 & 61).

Last edited: