Considering a 622

luclin999

Original poster
Mar 9, 2007
I am considering getting a 622 but I have a few questions regarding how it may differ from my old 811 tuner.
  • - The 811 will output to both the DVI and S-video feeds at the same time, allowing my Tivo to record SD content. Does the 622 also send a signal to all output plugs at the same time?
  • - I originally heard people were having problems with the screensavers built into the 211 and 622 boxes disrupting recordings from external receivers (like Tivo) can the screen savers be permanently disabled?
  • - I currently have one of the -tiny- multi-sat dishes set up to run my 811 and am seeing some weather related drop-outs. Will switching to the mpeg4 622 box make this worse?
  • - What is the picture quality of the HD channels on the 622 vs. the 811?

:welcomeTo SatelliteGuys!
1. Yes
2. I archive with Replay and have no problems, but the 622 is not slaved to it... after a period of inactivity the 622 will turn off.
3. You will have dropouts, consider upgrading to a bigger dish
4. Much better, I have an 811 and 921, the 622 has markedly better PQ

I am considering getting a 622 but I have a few questions regarding how it may differ from my old 811 tuner.

[*]- I originally heard people were having problems with the screensavers built into the 211 and 622 boxes disrupting recordings from external receivers (like Tivo) can the screen savers be permanently disabled?[/LIST]

You have to shut off the inactivity standby.

Thanks for the information. I'll probably be calling Dish either tomorrow or Monday to see what I can work out.

Thanks for the information. I'll probably be calling Dish either tomorrow or Monday to see what I can work out.
If you wait until Wednesday, you can get the ViP722 instead of the 622. The 722 should allow you to store a lot more programs on its bigger harddrive, and it's comes in black instead of silver, which may or may not matter to you.

2) I have no experience with this but I can believe it's true. You can schedule the TiVo to record something at 8pm and it will start recording but does it also change the channel on the 622 ? I've heard of "leapfrog" or something that will do this. One add'l option to try is to set a timer on the TiVo and set an "Auto Tune" timer on the 622. That will turn to the proper channel for you *and* turn off the screensaver, in case it's kicked in already.

3) As part of the upgrade, you will likely get a Dish 1000 or a variant of it in order to see the 129' satellite, where the "new" channels are from.

As others have said, wait for the 722. It's the same as the 622 but instead of 30 hours of HD, it will be able to hold 50 hours. These are MPEG2 numbers too. When Dish moves to MPEG4 for more and more channels, those 30 and 50 hour numbers will increase.

The 622 will hook to you TiVo just like the 811 except that the 622 has only composite SD outputs on TV1 output and TV2 output cannot be controlled by the TiVo's IR Blaster. I solved that by programming the TV2 tuner to auto-tune whenever I had a recording on my TiVo, then got tired of that and started using TV1 output. Now I have a 211 and it works even better than the 622 with my Tivo.

I have the video set to 4X3 #1 and the TiVo records all HD content as letterboxed 16X9. Doing that on the 622 distorts either the TiVo recording or your HD picture.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)