Considering a return to DISH...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Scott16475

Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
Minnesota
We previously had DISH 3 or 4 years ago and dropped it as we were tired of losing signal each time it rained and snowed. A couple of weeks ago, we stopped at a DISH booth while at the county fair and the rep for MediaCom (a third-party Rep for DISH??) informed us that DISH now has all new equipment that has so much storage that "we'll never lose signal again." He went on and on about how they can give us equipment that DISH isn't even allowed to sale at this time.

Now, I know when something sounds too get to be true that it probably is; however, I wanted to verify one thing. Has the equipment gotten better as he said and you no longer lose service during rain/snow? If so, then that's all it will take for us to come back to DISH, but if not, we'll stay with cable.

Thanks in advance!!

Scott

Well, 99% of what he said about the new equipment is BS, in regards to your signal. The signal is determined at YOUR DISH. Yes, the new Hopper and Joey system is great, but has NOTHING to do rain fade, etc. Your problem probably could have been solved years ago with a tech visit to realign your dish or check your LNB(s).

Also, "storage" is about recording capacity, not reception ability. Whoever you talked to knew nothing about what he/she was talking about. Probably some kid hired by a local retailer/reseller who did not comprehend the least what he was trained...assuming his training was worth two cents. Signal is signal. Equipment does not make a weak one stronger. Since you would be consdered a new customer again, you could sign up again and get a new install, hopefully correcting the past sins.

Agree 100% with KAB the only addition would be a new customer signs a 24 MONTH contract with an Early Termination Fee. Your experience may be better 4 years later but the satellites are still 22,300 miles above the equator.

But what I see is your original problem. With a proper installation there is no loss of signal everytime it rains or snows. You have think to yourself would millions of customers put up with that? I can say no more than 5 to 6 times a year in Ct. (So far only twice this year) would I lose the signal because of rain, and then mostly for a two or three minute period. And it isn't even during the actual rain necessarily, it's when a dense storm head passes. (Which is why it lasts for just a few minutes) I only lost a signal because of snow build up on the WA once in my 13 years of service. EA a little different, but only during wet snowfall buildup. Florida is a little different for rain fade, it does happen a little more often in the Summer but again, two or three minutes normally. Cable goes out far more often for longer periods of time in Ct.

So if you would like to get DISH again, if installed correctly you should be happy with the signal. Judging from your post, if accurate what you were told don't use that company. Find a different local retailer, or go through DIRT here.

Another factor...If he was on the old, hunk-o-junk, 129 sat that for some of us lost signal 2 x an hour...but I wasn't aware that it affected MN area...W, NW, TX and FL yes...certainly had nothing to do with rain or snow. Sounds like a bad install or cabling not equipment. For snow shoot it with a super-soaker filled with hot water. Max out time for rain here has been about 1-1 1/2 minutes. Signal loss was greater when storms went over the uplink facility in Wyoming...5 minutes +-.

Yep. Sounds like a bad aim.

And as to "...they can give us equipment that DISH isn't even allowed to sale at this time...." - well, in my mind that translates into turn and run, get away from this huckster.

Thanks for the advice. If we go back to Dish, it won't be through the guy/organization we met at the fair I can tell you that!

Good idea. When I was a loyalty agent, I talked to a new customer, who had signed up at a fair, and they were calling to ask about things promised to them, which were totally false. Promised far more than they'd actually get. I don't remember details, but I know that if I were in that position, I would not sign up through someone like that, I'd call the main number, or as others here have suggested, sign up through a local, trusted retailer.

Your experience may be better 4 years later but the satellites are still 22,300 miles above the equator.
Many (specifically the Eastern 1/4 of the US) have a lot better look angle than they did years ago so it probably isn't fair to suggest that nothing has changed.

But if the elevation of your view to the slots in the Clarke belt is higher, you have less atmosphere to penetrate. This is the same phenomenon that drives why it is cooler in the Winter than in the Summer.

DISH's Eastern Arc is relatively new.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)