Considering a RPTV.... Suggestions

rangersjay99

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Sep 9, 2004
Baltimore, MD
I'm looking at a couple of RPTVs in the 50" range, used in a HT setting as a secondary to a front projection (kids don't need it for daily viewing!)

I noticed the new LED DLP RPTV w/ 1080P seem very nice, plus no lamp costs.

or. should I pay a few $ more for a LCD or is the RPTV a good choice?

I've never had a RPTV or LCD.

Viewing angle is not an issue, and I have full light control.

Budget is ~$1500

Thanks for the input!

Haven't been keeping up to date on current models since I blew my budget last year with three new sets. I do have a Sony 46" LCD RPTV, along with two LCD panels and I'm happy with it. The only issue I have is a slight 'screen door' effect on sceens with a lot of white background. Once you find a couple sets that you're interested in you might want to check out Rear Projection Units - AVS Forum to see what others have to say about the sets.

If you're on a tight budget, IMHO, then RPTV is a good way to go for the biggest bang for your $'s.

Plasmas and LCDs in the 50" range are closing in fast. Some are available in this price range. Sams club has 50" plasmas starting at $1200, and 47" LCDs just under $1500. Lots of options in this price range. There are a lot of different technologies to look at. If you are going projection you could probably get 60" in this price range.

The problem is when you go into the stores to look, there is just so many to choose from now.

While "looking", it seemed the LED DLP RPTV looked the best, but hard to tell in the store, and employess are not much help.

I guess the question is, what ultimately can have the best picture? Too many variable to put into play here.

I don't need the thinnest, or anything that can hang on the wall, just something the can give me a great picture and be last for a while.

Those that have both, a RPTV and LCD 1080P set, which would you choose for a home theater setup?

Those that have both, a RPTV and LCD 1080P set, which would you choose for a home theater setup?

I have both, a 720p LCD RPTV and a 1080p LCD panel, both 46". If it was money is not an issue I'd go with the panel, better viewing angles and field of view. But if space isn't a concern (don't need to hang it on a wall) but $'s are I'd go with whatever gives me a picture I'd be happy with, don't want to sit there 7 weeks down the road and saying I should have gottent the other one.

The problem is when you go into the stores to look, there is just so many to choose from now.

While "looking", it seemed the LED DLP RPTV looked the best, but hard to tell in the store, and employess are not much help.

I guess the question is, what ultimately can have the best picture? Too many variable to put into play here.

I don't need the thinnest, or anything that can hang on the wall, just something the can give me a great picture and be last for a while.

My opinion is probably useless to help you choose a set. If I were looking today, I would certainly consider the LED fed DLP sets, but only if the colors could be adjusted to something reasonable.

It probably isn't feasable to take a spyder or color analyzer into BB, but you also don't have to put up with the factory settings either. When I was shopping, I wasn't shy at all about asking for the remote to a set I was interested in and adjusting the picture to something more reasonable. If nothing else, you can at least find that "film" setting and adjust the color balance to the warmest possible setting. That will generally get you close enough for first cut. Best Buy usually has lighting levels in the big TV area low enough that you can make an informed evaluation.

BTW, when I did this, I usually ended up drawing a crowd, and several sets were sold to folks who were watching me.

Thanks all for your input, going to try and get out this weekend and demo a couple sets.

Kinda leaning to the Samsung LED DLP RPTV (LH-T5087S).... but not 100%.

Lots of college basketball coming, so can't wait too long!! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)