Considering C & Ku Band System

Status
Please reply by conversation.

techdss29

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2004
Panama City Area, FL
OK - I am considering installing a combination C Band and Ku Band System because I am looking at all the FTA locals available on C Band - Do I necessarily need a 6 ft dish with a combo LNB or could I get away with a 4 ft dish with a combo LNB - I am also looking at getting a HD receiver. I have been looking on Sadoun as he seems to have the best prices. Any suggestions here would be appreciated. Yes I have been browsing the forums but I just keep confusing myself. I played with FTA a few years ago and I still remember some stuff about Ku but I haven't really played with the C Band stuff before. I am looking to get the most bang for my buck. I really want to pick up the RTV channels the most and would enjoy any other locals I could receive. I live near Panama City, FL and I will be in WV for Christmas so I might be able to pick up a system at Sadoun up in Columbus saving me the shipping charges. Again, any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

4 foot dish is NOT going to work for you. The C/Ku lnbf's are designed for Prime Focus dishes, and the F/D ratio is wrong for use with an offset dish. Personally, I wouldn't count on exception Ku performance on only a 6 foot dish, but at least , it will work. Picking up the various RTV locals on C-band is "iffy" with a 6 footer. An 8 foot dish would be a more certain bet.
If I were you, and able to pick up in Columbus at Sadoun, I'd get an 8 foot prime focus , polar mount dish, and a Sathawk 800 PVR. If you want to motorize it, pick up a 24" actuator and a GBOX 3000 to drive the actuator.
:)

For the most bang for your buck get a 10' dish with at least a 24" actuator. A DMX741, or if you plan on Atlantic Sats much get a DMX741U

AZBox Premium Plus Receiver & you will get hundreds & hundreds of channels.

If you are serious on HD don't go less then a 10' dish. You can probably get one for next to nothing. Check craigslist in your area for big dishes ask neighbors. Some people just want them down.

Do some research & ask questions, because some are poor for Ku

If you are serious on HD don't go less then a 10' dish. You can probably get one for next to nothing. Check craigslist in your area for big dishes ask neighbors. Some people just want them down.

Do some research & ask questions, because some are poor for Ku

How do you like your Unimesh 10 footer? I just got one recently (haven't put it up yet), and was surprised at what great shape the reflector was in. They seem to be a bit better constructed than some other mesh brands found around here.

trying to get c-band on anything less than a six foot dish is VERY difficult and VERY time consuming even for VERY experienced installers....i would highly NOT recommend this for yourself (no offense)....

Hey guys - thanks for the quick input - It almost sounds like putting up a c band dish would be a pain but who knows I might try anyway - also do u think that a 39" offset dish will pick up all my Ku band signals for my area - again I am in and around the Panama City, FL area. And if I do decide to go with just the Ku - a couple of questions - Is there any good HD on Ku for me to pay a little extra for the HD receiver? And should I receive AMC 9 at 83 west pretty good (this is where Retro TV is) And is there any good locals on Ku left? Just looking for as many English speaking stations as possible.

Thanks again

Hey guys - thanks for the quick input - It almost sounds like putting up a c band dish would be a pain but who knows I might try anyway - also do u think that a 39" offset dish will pick up all my Ku band signals for my area - again I am in and around the Panama City, FL area. And if I do decide to go with just the Ku - a couple of questions - Is there any good HD on Ku for me to pay a little extra for the HD receiver? And should I receive AMC 9 at 83 west pretty good (this is where Retro TV is) And is there any good locals on Ku left? Just looking for as many English speaking stations as possible.

Thanks again
Most of the HD is on C Band.
They are not very difficult to set up. C Band DVB signals are much easier to find then Ku

How do you like your Unimesh 10 footer? I just got one recently (haven't put it up yet), and was surprised at what great shape the reflector was in. They seem to be a bit better constructed than some other mesh brands found around here.

It's great my friend. The fine mesh works well with Ku.
I actually liked it so much I got another. One has the DMX741, the other one has the DMX741U

Really what happened is I bought my first off a guy for $50.00 A week later his brother in law said "Hey come look at mine it's just like the one you got & I'll let it go for $25.00" How could I say no to that?

It even came with a DSR920...but it was dead :(

I had a six footer for my cband for a while ....switched to an 8 footer...it helped on the weaker stuff. Did you check and see what Galaxy Marketing has? At least thats in Georgia

Blind

Ok so if i go both c band and ku then i prob should use round an 8 ft dish - if I go 39" dish and Ku only - will the Invacom circular/linear work good or should I stick with a universal linear since all that really appears to be on circular is dish which I already have as a sub and I am just wanting FTA. What do you think

BTW - You guys are great - THANK YOU for all the great insight!!!

:D

Ok so if i go both c band and ku then i prob should use round an 8 ft dish - if I go 39" dish and Ku only - will the Invacom circular/linear work good or should I stick with a universal linear since all that really appears to be on circular is dish which I already have as a sub and I am just wanting FTA. What do you think

If you looking for FTA & you want a good quality LNBF I love the DMX522. I will give you higher gain over Invacom hands down. I bought 3 & gave one to a friend who loves it. He put it on his 39"

just use a standard linear LNB....no need for the invacom it will be a waste of money....

If you looking for FTA & you want a good quality LNBF I love the DMX522. I will give you higher gain over Invacom hands down. I bought 3 & gave one to a friend who loves it. He put it on his 39"

Thanks Auric - I see over at Galaxy Marketing that they have a linear one for $19.99 - and I see it only has 0.2db noise figure (GREAT!) and they say it has 0.0001% failure rate!!! Thank you!!

Mikey11 - thank you for the savings tip - But you are saying then that there is really no need for the universal LNB then?

universal LNBs are really only needed and used in europe....if your in north america all you need is a standard linear LNB with RF 11.7 - 12.2 and try to get one with a 0.3db noise or less

universal LNBs are really only needed and used in europe....if your in north america all you need is a standard linear LNB with RF 11.7 - 12.2 and try to get one with a 0.3db noise or less

Ok thank you - that is the much needed info I have been looking for - that DMX522 over at galaxy-marketing has .2db and it looks pretty good then. So I guess I will start with a either a 100cm or a 4ft offset dish and the DMX522 lnb. I have an old FTA receiver but I really wanna get a new one that has blind scan and if possible HD (for future in case I ever get C-band) - Any recommendations on what to look for there or at least on what to avoid there?

Ok thank you - that is the much needed info I have been looking for - that DMX522 over at galaxy-marketing has .2db and it looks pretty good then. So I guess I will start with a either a 100cm or a 4ft offset dish and the DMX522 lnb. I have an old FTA receiver but I really wanna get a new one that has blind scan and if possible HD (for future in case I ever get C-band) - Any recommendations on what to look for there or at least on what to avoid there?

AZBox HD or Pansat 9200HD are two of the best in my opinion....maybe the Openbox S9 HD also....

Hi, on a quick scan of this thread I did not see anyone address your question on locals for Panama city FL. I don't think you will find any on satellite other then the subscription providers like Dish and Directv. You may well be able to pick up the locals using an over the air antenna, how far are you from the city? Later, DC

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)