Considering current HD deal

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Carphunter

Original poster
Dec 14, 2008
I'm a long time dish customer... been around since the days when we could e-mail in to suggest how much bandwidth each channel should get to give customers the best signal.

Well.... I have my HD tv now etc... and am considering options.

Option 1, leave everything the same, let my onkyo upscale, and download HD content via torrent when I want it.

Option 2, Take Dish up on their current deal...but be stuck with a 2 year commitment.

Option 3, switch to charter cable (I get my dsl via phone now, so might be a slight savings overall)

Option 4, switch to Direct.

Are you guys sticking it out? or what? I've read some people's posts that they want to wait a bit to see what Dish does to improve the programming.

From what I can see, all my dish, cable, and direct options have the same small group of HD stuff I'd probably watch (I don't really care about sports, and don't usually subscribe to premium movie channels).

read the thread... can't see where that deal sunsets. e-mail says 1/31/09.

with the lock in, do we get whatever new stuff comes for free, or will there be another rate bump if and when it comes?

Option 1, leave everything the same, let my onkyo upscale, and download HD content via torrent when I want it.

Option 2, Take Dish up on their current deal...but be stuck with a 2 year commitment.

That was my recent dilemma. I blogged about the pros/cons here:

MNteractive.com » Boxee vs. Cable/Satellite

Ultimately, I decided TurboHD is a pretty good deal. Right now. But I have a hunch I'll be canceling within a year or so and getting more/most of my content via Hulu/Netflix/OTA instead.

I'm thinking if I do this...I'll go through their win-back department to see how much of a deal I can get on the whole setup.

first downsize in my online chat with them is i'd be downgrading from my 625 dual to a 612 single room receiver.

right now, i feed one tv with the receiver, and then pump the signal through my cable wiring to the rest of the house.

well, after my conversation, i'd basically have to take the $50 upgrade deal to get a 622, or $125 for a 722. my programming cost would increase by $2 a month compared to what i pay now.

I'll have to read up on benefits of a 722 vs a 622

it mentions the ability to hook up an external hard drive. can it only use it for its own materials... or can it read other formats (dvd rips, divx, etc)?

I am fairly certain you are limited to only the stuff you recorded from the receiver. Anyone else know?

Also, there is a $40 one time activation fee to be able to hook up an external hard drive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)