Considering Directv

Status
Please reply by conversation.

all2neat

Original poster
Sep 8, 2007
Baton Rouge, LA
I have tv service through my local phone company, eatel. They offer fiber to the home, and the picture is great, however their dvr sucks big time. bad enough that I'm considering switching to directv. I know the dvr is pretty good but how is the picture quality compared to fios? My biggest concern is HD channel quality.

Thanks,
Cary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have tv service through my local phone company, eatel. They offer fiber to the home, and the picture is great, however their dvr sucks big time. bad enough that I'm considering switching to directv. I know the dvr is pretty good but how is the picture quality compared to fios? My biggest concern is HD channel quality.

Thanks,
Cary

From what I have heard, not seen, FIOS has the best picture available. However, the Directv hd picture is very good. Do you have a friend that has it so you can compare? The dvr is better than the one FIOS has from what I have read. Dish apparently has the best dvr and not as good picture quality as Directv. For me, programming is just as important. Which service has the shows you want to watch?

Thanks,
Cary

Fios has the best picture. D* DVR isn't much better then Fios DVR.
If your switching due to the DVR you may want to do some more reading.:eek:
Good luck.

From what I have heard, not seen, FIOS has the best picture available. However, the Directv hd picture is very good. Do you have a friend that has it so you can compare? The dvr is better than the one FIOS has from what I have read. Dish apparently has the best dvr and not as good picture quality as Directv. For me, programming is just as important. Which service has the shows you want to watch?
Sums up what I would say as well.

If the DVR is the ONLY problem you have w/Eatel, have you checked to see if they offer cablecards?
If they do, they just get an HD Tivo & you're problem is solved!
They use the very same DVR's that cable co like TW & Cox use, so there is a likely chance they have cc's as well.

The ONLY reason I chose D* here in NH is becasue FIOS was not available. I had it in VA and loved it. D* is great and the picture great, but so is FIOS. Having to pick between the 2, I would choose FIOS ONLY because I had TV and Internet together......it was great.

D* is the only other choice for me.

The ONLY reason I chose D* here in NH is becasue FIOS was not available. I had it in VA and loved it. D* is great and the picture great, but so is FIOS. Having to pick between the 2, I would choose FIOS ONLY because I had TV and Internet together......it was great.

D* is the only other choice for me.

I heard there is a recording limitation with FIOS. Can you record more than two HD streams at once?

I would say there is pro and cons to all you have to find out what is important to you if it is DVR the dish might be your provider if it is Sports good service and others Directv is the way to go.
There HR21,2,3 are ok there DVR works great for me only problem is they are slow to response on the remote. There is MVR via recorded LIST which I like very much it gives me the option of recording 4 shows at once since I have 2 DVR'S.
Also keep in mind Versus is currently not on Directv and NFL sunday ticket is 300 if you want HD on sunday ticket 100.00 extra
Remeber to use referral a friend to get 100 dollars off PM if I can help with that.

Good luck and enjoy new service

I'm looking at the overall cost and from what I got out of eatel is that the cable card are 3.75 ea/month. So I need two of them for a TiVo, so basically 7.50 a month plus tivo's actual service. This may be the way to go, as far as versus, i never watch the channel so no biggie, the biggest draw for me would me Sunday ticket, I've had it before and really do miss it but I might try the TiVo route. thank you for your suggestions.

Since someone asked, I can say that att's service is limited to the amount of HD streams, the service is available not far from me and they say it's better in some ways, and is cheaper, it's also limited if you have more than on Hdtv. what we have though is true fiber to the home and we basically can do however many we want to pay for.

Thanks again!

I'm looking at the overall cost and from what I got out of eatel is that the cable card are 3.75 ea/month. So I need two of them for a TiVo, so basically 7.50 a month plus tivo's actual service.

If they give you an M card (which pretty much everyone uses now) you ONLY need one.
Only the S3 Tivo required 2 cards; all the newer HD Tivo's work with M cards.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)