Considering getting Dish... a few questions

CaseLogic

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 13, 2008
Hey all,

I know this is really noobish but I couldn't readily find the info I was looking for.

I'm planning on getting the following:

America's Top 200 + TurboHD Silver, 2 dual receivers (one with DVR) for 4 TVs (2 HD's, 2 SD's), local channels, and DVR service. I believe all of this comes out to $66.99.

I'm going to be calling Dish tonight, but I know they offer a 2 year contract which we do not want. Is there a minimum contract, or can I do the $66.99 month by month and cancel (probably not easily) at anytime?

Also, I need clarification on the dual receivers. Let's say I have the 722 connected to an HD and an SD TV. Does this mean I can no longer record 2 shows at the same time on the HD TV? How does this exactly impact the amount of channels that can be viewed/recorded on the DVR? We record a lot of Family Guy, Simpsons, etc so we at the very least need to be able to watch 1 channel while recording another, with this dual receiver. If that's not possible, I guess we'd have to keep the DVR standalone?

Thanks for your help, hope to learn a lot from these forums.

I believe the 24-month contract is mandatory for new subscribers. Not sure about the receiver setup - the one person I know with Dish has two 722s hooked up to four TVs.

I'm going to be calling Dish tonight, but I know they offer a 2 year contract which we do not want. Is there a minimum contract, or can I do the $66.99 month by month and cancel (probably not easily) at anytime?

Thanks for your help, hope to learn a lot from these forums.

For the best deal and the answer to all your questions, call DishStore as opposed to Dish Network.

I'll look into them but I'm at work right now so I can't call either. Anyone know off hand about the dual receiver/recording issue I'm referring to?

Another clarification needed... the secondary TV only picks up satellite channel and not OTA. If I get the local channels through Dish, would I be getting them in both OTA and Dish format? So basically, would I be able to watch the local channels on the secondary TV, since it won't show the OTA channels?

With Record Plus enabled and in dual mode (TV1 and TV2), two shows can be recorded from the same location, e.g. TV1, if no one is using the second tuner. Otherwise, you're limited to one recording on TV1. In single mode (TV1), recording 2 shows at the same time is of course a-ok. The big question you need to address is how many TVs will need to be on and using a tuner at any one time. You also have a third tuner, the OTA tuner which will help out with the 722 if you can also receive your HD locals OTA.

Another clarification needed... the secondary TV only picks up satellite channel and not OTA. If I get the local channels through Dish, would I be getting them in both OTA and Dish format? So basically, would I be able to watch the local channels on the secondary TV, since it won't show the OTA channels?

If you have the local package, TV2 will get the SD locals by satellite as long as E* provides them for your DMA. I assume they do. If TV2 is viewing these simultaneously with you using TV1, you will have one OTA tuner and 1 satellite tuner available for watching or recording.

Thanks for your help. If I'm recording 1 show on TV1 and 1 show on TV2 (TV2 tuner isn't being used), this is Record Plus Right? Does this mean if I also want to watch something on TV1, I'm limited to OTA if both the satellite tuners are in use? Alternatively, if I'm recording OTA on TV1 and satellite on TV2, this leaves 1 satellite tuner for use on TV1?

Just trying to make sure I understand.

Record Plus:
You choose which tuner is the default. Let's say it's 2. All recordings will be on 2 UNLESS there is a timing conflict, then Tuner 1 will do the recording. In either case, you can record OTA at the same time, but only one OTA at a time. So, you can record two sat channels and one OTA at the same time.

Thanks for your help. If I'm recording 1 show on TV1 and 1 show on TV2 (TV2 tuner isn't being used), this is Record Plus Right? Does this mean if I also want to watch something on TV1, I'm limited to OTA if both the satellite tuners are in use? Alternatively, if I'm recording OTA on TV1 and satellite on TV2, this leaves 1 satellite tuner for use on TV1?

Just trying to make sure I understand.

Yes

It's very easy to switch between dual and single mode so if you want to make sure you get everything recorded without problems, switch to single mode for the 722 and you can record 2 sat and 1 OTA and then switch back to dual mode when finished. This makes the 2nd TV dead to the receiver of course. It could still be used for OTA reception if you have an antenna also connected to it.

Do the dishes they supply automatically pickup OTA signals, or is it just an input in case you have your own satellite?

OTA means over the air. No satellites involved, just rabbit ears or a bird perch on the roof.
Right I understand that much, just wasn't sure if the dishes also have the capability of picking up those same signals (then I don't have to spend extra on an antenna)

The dish itself does not receive OTA channels.
TV-2 will only be able to see the locals that Dish sends down the pipe, not the OTA channels. (In dual mode, which is the mode you will be inif you are still planning to operate 4 TVs)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts