Considering move from Dish. Help me with setup.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

ZoomVT

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 1, 2010
VT
Hello, I am considering a move to D* from E*. I dont know much if anything about D* setup, features, etc so Im hoping you can help me with setup and answer some questions I have, and also what to expect.

Right now i have 3 HD, 1 SD, likely to add another SD (maybe in the long term, an HD to replace one of the SDs). I do require DVR. THE MRV is very attractive.
At worst, I woudl like the 3HD TVs to watch unique content. I dont know if D* has dual receivers like e*

Questions:
What equipment do i need to run this?
How big is the DVR hard drive? how many tuners can record at the same time?
Is the TV attached to the DVR forced to watch what is recording?
If i get a 2nd DVR is that recommended to extend the hard drive space?
I read something about being able to watch on my phone/remotely. Is there extra cost for that?
I would go for the max package and all movie channels. Is that the best deal?
How much are PPV movies?
Can I connect an external HD? Is there an upcharge for that?
Is there a difference between getting the deal from costco and not? from what i read is the same cost/offer but i get an extra $180 costco giftcard, am i missing something?
If i get a referral from a friend, do they get a rebate? do i?

Some of the frustration with E* are the charges for extra receivers, how do they handle adding receivers? upfront cost?
Are there regular price hikes?

What are the biggest differences between the 2? If you had to complain about something on D* what would it be?

My location is Northen VT, do i get locals in HD? how is the signal?

If you need more info from me, let me know and i'll try to answer right away. I believe the latest offer expires in 3 days so im hoping to make a decision in the next day or 2.

I appreciate the help. Thanks in advance.

Look around, there all kinds of good info about exactly what your looking at.
Search will help as well.

Btw, D* doesn't have recvrs that you can use for 2 different TV's.

They have two tuners in them for DVR usage (DVR 's do, not regular units.)
D* only charges 1 fee regardless of how many DVRS you have, unlike E* that charges a fee for each one.
Most DVR's have a 320 GB or a 500 GB HD in them, you CAN add an External HD as well. No charge.

Referrals MUST go to that particular phone number and you get a $ 100 and the referral person does.

Recvrs are usually $ 99 for HD and $ 199 for HD DVR's.

Regular price increases, Yes, like everyone, D*'s are usually in Feb/March and go up a few dollars per package.

Locals depend on your Zip Code, what ever DMA your in is what you'll get for Locals.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. Yes there is a lot of info but is scattered everywhere and some of it seems either outdated or not quite what I was looking for.
So if i understand correctly, if i have 1 hd dvr, and 2 hd receivers i can watch recorded HD in any room. the tv with the HD DVR can watch a show and also record another at the same time. But the 2 HD receivers dont have any pause, rewind functionality correct? That is kind of a big deal IMO as sometimes i get up to do something and just pause the show, come back and catch up while I skip the commercials.

I would also like to add another question about adding/upgrading receivers. Do they require a new 2yr commitment if/when you do need to add receivers?
does the Direct2PC cost more per month?

What is SWM?

Thanks for the reply. Yes there is a lot of info but is scattered everywhere and some of it seems either outdated or not quite what I was looking for.
So if i understand correctly, if i have 1 hd dvr, and 2 hd receivers i can watch recorded HD in any room. the tv with the HD DVR can watch a show and also record another at the same time. But the 2 HD receivers dont have any pause, rewind functionality correct? That is kind of a big deal IMO as sometimes i get up to do something and just pause the show, come back and catch up while I skip the commercials.

I would also like to add another question about adding/upgrading receivers. Do they require a new 2yr commitment if/when you do need to add receivers?
does the Direct2PC cost more per month?

What is SWM?

1. Yes, you can do what you mentioned in the first part, but ONLY if you get the MRV (MultiRoom Viewing) set up.
2. Yes, addl. recvrs require a commitment, any HD or DVR get a 2 year commit, SD may be less.
How long have you been with D* ?
I always mention to get what you may need when you get the initial install as it's cheaper at that time than any other time.
You can also purchase (still a lease) from an outside vendor if you have a preferance to model.

3. SWM is Single Wire MultiSwitch, basically 1 line from LNB, 2nd run to DVRs for 2nd tuner is not required, this is also a different type set up, you'll want to consider. You may get the SWM automatically, depends on your area.

An HD DVR on MRV can only stream one recorded program at a time. If TV1 is a HD-DVR and you want to watch something on TV2 and TV3 that has been recorded on the HD-DVR at TV1, you can't. Only one of those other locations will be able to watch something off the DVR at TV1. If you have 4 TVs I'd get at least 2 HD-DVRs and 2 HD receivers. Yes, an HD receiver even at an SD TV. Why? Because then it can take part in the MRV setup even though it's an SD TV. And with nice flat panel TVs getting cheaper, you'll probably upgrade those old SD TVs and you'll already have the equipment in place.

I recently switched from E* to D* and couldn't be happier. The only issue we've had at all is learning new channel numbers for our favorite stations. D* has a nice feature ... can't remember the name of it, darn it... I hate getting old.... but you can quickly bring up a "Quick-Tune" list of 9 favorite channels (in a 3x3 grid) so you can quickly get to 9 of your most-watched stations without running through the guide.

Yes, you can do what you mentioned in the first part.
How long have you been with D* ?
You can also purchase (still a lease) from an outside vendor if you have a preferance to model.

So then, pause, rewind, etc on nonDVR receivers is not possible. Is there a way around it? Like, if I am watching a program, need to get up and pause it, could i set it to record the rest of the show and then watch it? Basically pausing it. Not ideal, but a workaround.
I have been with E* for about 8 years.
How does purchasing from an outside vendor work? You say it is still a lease, a lease to a 3rd party? Can you provide a link or an example of how it works?

An HD DVR on MRV can only stream one recorded program at a time. If TV1 is a HD-DVR and you want to watch something on TV2 and TV3 that has been recorded on the HD-DVR at TV1, you can't. Only one of those other locations will be able to watch something off the DVR at TV1. If you have 4 TVs I'd get at least 2 HD-DVRs and 2 HD receivers. Yes, an HD receiver even at an SD TV. Why? Because then it can take part in the MRV setup even though it's an SD TV. And with nice flat panel TVs getting cheaper, you'll probably upgrade those old SD TVs and you'll already have the equipment in place.

I recently switched from E* to D* and couldn't be happier. The only issue we've had at all is learning new channel numbers for our favorite stations. D* has a nice feature ... can't remember the name of it, darn it... I hate getting old.... but you can quickly bring up a "Quick-Tune" list of 9 favorite channels (in a 3x3 grid) so you can quickly get to 9 of your most-watched stations without running through the guide.

Thanks for the clarification. The MRV is defeated if only 1 tv can watch DVR content. Does this apply to direct2PC as well? or can a PC and TV watch DVR content of a single DVR?
I will heed your advice and stockpile on receivers.

Another question. I see on signup I can basically have as many SD receivers as I want at no charge. Is this true at any time? basically if in 6 months i get a tv for the garage, can i Just get a new sd receiver? or will they still ask me for a 2 yr commitment?

thanks again for the replies. Looking to learn more.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)