Considering signing up for DISH

Chinowantsadrink

Original poster
Oct 9, 2017
Harrison Ohio 45030
I have a few of questions, I know you can answer

1) I live in Harrison Ohio what sat would i need to see?

2) If I get the duo $60.00 OTA can i still see and record series shows on my locals on the new Hopper 3?

3) Does Dish anywhere app allow Sirius music to be streamed on my phone?

4) Can I just use the same app on Firetv's instead of getting Joey's?

Thanks a lot !

2) If I get the duo $60.00 OTA can i still see and record series shows on my locals on the new Hopper 3?

Thanks a lot !
1) Your Cincy Locals are on 77E

2) Yes, but currently there is a software bug causing OTA breakups on Joeys and recording. Some folks aren't have the problem. I did until a few days ago so I don't know if it's totally fixed.

3) No

4) You can for TVs that are used occasionally, but not for regular/heavy usage. Not as user friendly as a Joey.

You can stream SiriusXM on Dish Anywhere, I'm doing it right now on my Droid phone. You have to key in the channel number directly as they don't appear on the Anywhere guide. Like 09926 for Classic Vinyl. :)

Reactions: Matty_G

Thanks a lot !

You need to get all three satellites on the Eastern Arc, 77, 72.7, 61.5
Unless you are buying your own equipment DISH will likely insist on installing it.

The OTA module are extra tuners and have no bearing on your Satellite tuners.

You need to get all three satellites on the Eastern Arc, 77, 72.7, 61.5
Unless you are buying your own equipment DISH will likely insist on installing it.

The OTA module are extra tuners and have no bearing on your Satellite tuners.

Thanks, I guess that would be slightly in the other direction of where Directv was then.

As far as the OTA I just wanted to know if I could save the 10 bucks with Dish and use my OTA that gets 46 stations to record and integrate into their guide ?

Reactions: Tampa8
would this be correct for the eastern 77 , 72.7 and 61.5 then Echostar 14 and 7 ? see attached.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-10-09 at 3.19.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-10-09 at 3.19.17 PM.png
    199.2 KB · Views: 212
Thanks, I guess that would be slightly in the other direction of where Directv was then.

As far as the OTA I just wanted to know if I could save the 10 bucks with Dish and use my OTA that gets 46 stations to record and integrate into their guide ?

Yes you could save the $10!

Thanks, now just have to convince the boss to let me get into a contract and stop streaming. I have tried them all and tired of looking of easy ways to get it all together and the 2 year price lock with HBO is hard to pass on with everything being on one spot !

That pretty much sums up much of the limitations of streaming.

Reactions: KAB
Thanks for all the great info earlier gents but have a couple more

If there is the dish anywhere app why do I need a Joey ? Can't I just use the app at home on my fire tv devices ?

How many simultaneous streams will it allow from a hopper 3?

And if I do end up signing up does someone want to refer me to get credits?

I've been scouring for these answers but can't find anything recent.

Last edited:
I have read that the Fire TV works just fine as a replacement for a Joey. You can only have one stream per Hopper on DishAnywhere.

If there is the dish anywhere app why do I need a Joey ? Can't I just use the app at home on my fire tv devices ?

You can use a fireTV, and it works fine for TVs that don’t get used much, but if it’s a main TV I’d get a Joey. It works like streaming TV.. there are (at least for me) occasional buffering. I have one in my office and it works fine for where it is.

Only 1 stream at a time including the app on fireTVs. If you start the fireTV app on a tv after already streaming on another fireTV, it’ll ask if you want to kick the other stream off. Another reason for a Joey for main TVs. Unless your a prankster and enjoy kicking people off.

I’ll give you a code for a referral if you want. Just let me know. You’ll get 5 off for 12 months or free PPV movies.. or whatever they are offering now.

I just got a Fire TV, and it is good, but it is not exactly the same experience as having a Joey. Trick Play (i.e. FF/RW) lags compared the Joey, and the interface is not the same as the Hopper/Joey. IMHO, it is fine for less-frequently watched locations, but not for regular TV viewing locations. Mine is in my home gym, where I am only paying partial attention to the TV. I have Joeys in the kitchen and bedroom, and I am glad I do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts