considering Starchoice or Bell

mrite

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 8, 2007
Ottawa Valley Canada
Hi this is my first look into this area of Sat guys.
My wife is saying that she is getting tired of not getting local news etc.
All we have for TV is our Pansat 250 sm and motor
I am happy with the programming we pick up but I also miss the local news and weather.
So here we are considering a Sat provider or Cable.
My Question is this. If we choose Bell or Starchoice can I use my existing dish and motor with thier receiver ? If I can how would I set it up to switch between receivers ?
Thanks for any help.

SC will install the dish, wiring and receiver at no cost in a special deal in the Ottawa area from the Direct Sales door to door reps.

Your net cost is $0 for a single receiver setup, $15 for a 2 receiver system and $40 for HD setup. I always recommend a HD receiver - even on a non HD setup as the PQ is better on the HD feeds. Network HD feeds are included at no charge.

PM me if you want the details.

My wife is saying that she is getting tired of not getting local news etc.

If all you need is locals put up an OTA antenna.

Just as a note, Bell's software is much more advanced than than *C. The 9242 HD PVR receiver even with a few issues it has is the best Satellite/Cable receiver available in Canada IMO.

Bell TV will install up to 4 receivers for free if you choose to Rent for a 2 year term.

Although as already stated, if all you want is a few local channels, get an OTA antenna.

That won't happen til 2011 in Canada. Then you will need an external ATSC converter box if your tv doesn't have a builtin ATSC tuner.

Just a note that if you are going to get an HD PVR receiver that:

*C has a deal on until the end of the month to save $250 in credit and another $50 in PPV on their $699.00 DVR530 receiver.
The *C 530 can record one show at a time and still watch another.

I believe you can $300 in credits with Bell TV on their $599.00 9242 receiver.
The Bell 9242 can do the same as the DVR530, and one step better it can record two Bell shows while you watch a previously recorded show. Also the 9242 has an OTA tuner which you can also record programs with. And two steps better you can actually be recording two Bell shows, be recording a show from your OTA tuner and still watch a previously recorded show.

As I said earlier, Bell will do a full installation for FREE including HD if you are prepared to rent and sign for 2 years.

Just to add to the comments of what the 9242 can do;

It can record 3 shows in HD at the same time, 1 from an OTA source and 2 from the Satellite Signals, you can also at the same time, be watching 2 separate shows on 2 separate TV's ALL at the same time. I know a friend that got the Star Choice DSR Dual Tuner HD PVR, they are very disappointed, they expected it to be the same as the 9242 from Bell.

I will also add that the 9242 can also take an External hard Drive to add even more recording time to the machine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)