Considering switching from Dish. Need advice.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

CygnusTM

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 13, 2003
I'm ticked about losing OLN on Dish, so I'm considering switching over to DirecTV. Just to level set, here is what I have on Dish (all leased):

Dish 500 w/ DishPro quad LNB
1 522 in single mode
2 301s
AT180 w/ locals (Upgraded from AT120 last month to get OLN)

I want as close to the same service. i.e. two-tuner PVR, locals, regional sports channel, three rooms (four would be nice), etc.

Questions:
1. It looks like Total Choice Plus will get me service close to AT120 with OLN. Is that right? Will my regional sports channel (FSN Detroit) be included of will I have to get the sports package?
2. Where can I get the best deal? BestBuy/Circuit City? Online? Direct from DirecTV?
3. I live in metro Detroit, and I understand MPEG4 is rolling out. Would it be smart to get MPEG4 receivers even though I don't have HDTV? If so, will it be insanely expensive?
4. I'll probably have to ask this in the Dish forum, but does anyone know exactly what I'll have to send back to Dish? I've heard before that they just ask for the LNB. This would be good since the dish is lag-screwed to my roof, and I don't like the idea of taking it out. Even if I can just keep the arm, that would be good.
4a. If I can keep the dish or arm, can I attach the DTV LNB to the Dish dish? Or can I attach the DTV dish to the Dish arm?
5. Anything else I should know?

Thanks in advance for the help.

I would recommend talking with Robert at Value Electronics. He will make sure you get the absolute best deal!

You will get your RSN with the TC Plus. That's the package I get. You will also get OLN as well.

CygnusTM said:
Questions:
3. I live in metro Detroit, and I understand MPEG4 is rolling out. Would it be smart to get MPEG4 receivers even though I don't have HDTV? If so, will it be insanely expensive?

You can't buy MPEG4 stuff yet. I'd not bother until you get HDTV. Prices will be initially high, and there's no MPEG4 DVR at this time.

CygnusTM said:
4. I'll probably have to ask this in the Dish forum, but does anyone know exactly what I'll have to send back to Dish? I've heard before that they just ask for the LNB. This would be good since the dish is lag-screwed to my roof, and I don't like the idea of taking it out. Even if I can just keep the arm, that would be good.
4a. If I can keep the dish or arm, can I attach the DTV LNB to the Dish dish? Or can I attach the DTV dish to the Dish arm?

When I terminated my lease, E* had me return the entire Dish and the 522.
I was allowed to leave the mast attached to my roof. DirecTV was able to reuse this mast. So, no to LNB on Dish dish, likely on D* Dish to E* mast.

H

1. Yes, TOTAL CHOICE Plus will give you OLN and your local FSN, FOX sports channel. You do not need to subscribe to the Sports package.

2. I would hope other members would recommend my company.

3. MPEG-2/4 equipment is only available for HD equipment. Detroit uses the standard 18" round dish for all of your SD channels. You can only get HD receivers that are MPEG-2/4 and if you have a HDTV and HD receivers you would also need the new 5 LNB AT9 dish system.

4. DIRECTV's dish uses the exact same foot plate and mast pipe, so just removing the dish reflector and or LNB would be the best solution for switching service to DIRECTV. We use the existing mounting and existing coax cables.

5. The latest DVR is the R10 if you want to set up whole house distribution you would want a older DVR80, which we also have in stock. The basic receivers are free and DIRECTV is currently offering a $100 DVR rebate so your DVR is free after the rebate.

-Robert

CygnusTM said:
I'm ticked about losing OLN on Dish, so I'm considering switching over to DirecTV. Just to level set, here is what I have on Dish (all leased):

Dish 500 w/ DishPro quad LNB
1 522 in single mode
2 301s
AT180 w/ locals (Upgraded from AT120 last month to get OLN)

I want as close to the same service. i.e. two-tuner PVR, locals, regional sports channel, three rooms (four would be nice), etc.

Questions:
1. It looks like Total Choice Plus will get me service close to AT120 with OLN. Is that right? Will my regional sports channel (FSN Detroit) be included of will I have to get the sports package?
It is close to their 120, but the extra few dollars for the plus has some other great channels. Yes you get your FSN Detroit with your programing. The other RSN package will give you all the other out of market sports networks.

2. Where can I get the best deal? BestBuy/Circuit City? Online? Direct from DirecTV?
On line you can get a good deal from Value Electronics, they are members and sponsors of Satellite Guys. I have bought from Best Buy and Circuit City before but they don't always tell you the whole story about what you have to do, and you may get surprises when you go to activate your programing.

I think when you get them you will have to activate the HD programing when you activate the programing, an extra $10.00 a month. Good if you have HDTV but an extra expense if you don't. I might be wrong but I think you have to. You might check with Robert at Value Electronics on this for sure.You can get to their site from the top of this page.

Can't help you with 4 or 5.

Thanks for all the input, guys!

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
5. The latest DVR is the R10 if you want to set up whole house distribution you would want a older DVR80, which we also have in stock. The basic receivers are free and DIRECTV is currently offering a $100 DVR rebate so your DVR is free after the rebate.

-Robert
So what is the difference between the R10 and the DVR80? I currently send the output of the 522 to other TVs in the house using diplexers.

CygnusTM said:

New installs for D* HD customers in Detroit are MPEG4 now. Had an installer tell me this about an hour ago at my house.

CygnusTM said:
Thanks for all the input, guys!

So what is the difference between the R10 and the DVR80? I currently send the output of the 522 to other TVs in the house using diplexers.

You can hack the DVR80 for network access and additional features.
The R10, you can only upgrade the disk space.

TiVos are fairly hack-friendly, especially when compared to your E* 522.

Hogarth said:
You can hack the DVR80 for network access and additional features.
The R10, you can only upgrade the disk space.

TiVos are fairly hack-friendly, especially when compared to your E* 522.

Correct as usual Hogarth. No one could have said it any better.

-Robert

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)