Considering Switching, HD channel NOT on D*?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

am7crew

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 17, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Hey all, Im considering switching back to Dish from Directv and was wondering if anyone could let me know what channels Dish has that aren't on D* and vice versa (minus sports channels). I really liked the Hopper and Prime Time Anytime. Thanks in advance I searched google but could really find any definitive and updated.

Just go to both Dish's website and DirecTV's website, find the channel listings, print them out, and compare or make you a spreadsheet or list.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I found an excel spreadsheet comparision that I made. Keep in mind, it DOES NOT have any of the RSNs or all of the sports channels, as I very rarely watch any sports except for the occasional big events and some SEC football. Also, there is no Spanish languge HD listed as I do not speak Spanish, so I had no need for my comparison.
This list was current as of the first part of June, and to my knowledge still is.
I tried to upload the excel file to the fourm, but it wouldnt let me, so here is a list of channels that each has, you can copy and paste the information and make your own comparison chart.

DISH NETWORK
5StarMAX
A&E
ABC Family
ActionMAX
AMC
Animal Planet
AXS TV
BBC America
BET
BIO
Bloomberg Television
Bravo
Cartoon Network (East)
CBS Sports Network
Centric
Cinemax (East)
Cinemax (West)
CMT
CNBC
CNN
Comedy Central
Cooking Channel
Crime & Investigation
Destination America
Discovery Channel
Disney Channel (East)
DIY Network
E! Entertainment Television
Encore (East)
EPIX
EPIX 2
EPIX 3
ESPN
ESPN2
ESPNEWS
ESPNU
Esquire
Food Network
FOX Business Network
FOX News Channel
FOX Sports 1
FUSE
Fusion
FX
FXX
Golf Channel
GSN
H2
Hallmark Channel
Hallmark Movie Channel
HBO (East)
HBO (West)
HBO 2 (East)
HBO Comedy
HBO Family
HBO Signature
HBO Zone
HD Net Movies
Headline News
HGTV
History
Independent Film Channel (IFC)
IndiePlex
Investigation Discovery
Lifetime
Lifetime Movie Network
Logo
MAVTV
MGM HD
MLB Network
MSNBC
MTV
Nat Geo Wild
National Geographic Channel
NBA TV
NBC Sports Network
NFL Network
NHL Network
Nickelodeon/Nick at Nite (East)
OWN (Oprah Winfrey Network)
Palladia
PixL
Reelz Channel
RetroPlex
RFD-TV
Science
Showtime (East)
Showtime (West)
Showtime 2
Showtime Showcase
Sony Movie Channel
Spike
Sportsman Channel
Starz (East)
Starz (West)
Starz Comedy
Starz Edge
Starz Kids and Family
Sundance
Syfy
TBS
Tennis Channel
The Hub Network
The Movie Channel (East)
TLC
TNT
Travel Channel
truTV
Turner Classic Movies
Universal HD
USA
Velocity
Veria
VH1
Weather Channel
WE
WGN

DIRECTV
3net
5STARMAX HD East
A&E
ABC Family
ActionMAX HD
American Movie Classics (AMC)
Animal Planet
AUDIENCE
AXSTV HD
BBC America
BET
BIO
Bloomberg Television
Bravo
Cartoon Network (East)
CBS Sports Network
Cinemax East
Cinemax West
CMT
CNBC
CNN
Comedy Central
Cooking Channel
Crime & Investigation
Destination America
Discovery Channel
Disney Channel (East)
Disney Junior Channel
Disney XD
DIY Network
E! Entertainment
ENCORE (East)
ENCORE Action
ESPN
ESPN2
ESPNEWS
ESPNU
Food Network
Fox Business Network
Fox News Channel
Fox Sports 1
Fox Sports 2
FX
FXX
Golf Channel
H2
Hallmark Channel
Hallmark Movie Channel HD
HBO (East)
HBO (West)
HBO 2 (East)
HBO 2 (West)
HBO Comedy HD
HBO Family (East)
HBO Signature
HBO Zone HD
HD Net Movies
Headline News
HGTV
History Channel
Independent Film Channel (IFC)
Investigation Discovery (ID)
ION Television
Lifetime
Lifetime Movie Network
MGM HD
MLB Network
MoreMAX
MovieMAX
MSNBC
MTV
Nat Geo WILD
National Geographic Channel
NBA TV
NBC Sports Network
NFL Network
NHL Network
Nickelodeon (East)
OWN
Palladia
Science Channel
Showtime (East)
Showtime (West)
Showtime 2
Showtime Beyond
Showtime Extreme
Showtime Next
Showtime Showcase
Showtime Women
Smithsonian HD
Sony Movie Channel
Spike
STARZ (East)
STARZ (West)
STARZ Cinema
STARZ Comedy
STARZ Edge
STARZ InBlack
STARZ Kids & Family
Syfy Channel
TBS
Tennis Channel
The Movie Channel (East)
The Movie Channel (West)
ThrillerMAX HD
TLC
TMC Xtra HD East
TNT
Travel Channel
TruTV
Turner Classic Movies
TV Land
Universal HD
USA Network
Velocity
VH1
Weather Channel
WeatherNation
WGN

You will still need to do a side by side comparison of the various programming packages.

Reactions: satjay
The problem is I can't find a full Dish lineup of HD channels on their site. I do the everything package (all offered channels other than non english ones).

Thank you for the list. Looks like Dish is behind on most categories. Are they launching any new satellites to increase space for more channels anytime soon?

Thank you for the list. Looks like Dish is behind on most categories. Are they launching any new satellites to increase space for more channels anytime soon?
Don't know from what you make that observation. Dish actually has more movie channels, like Epix, MGM and Sony than D*. Dish also has a suite of channels in their BB@H add-on package, not included in the AEP list. Some think Dish should have more of the Showtime, Starz and HBO HD channels, but it's all the same programming just being recycled around. And remember, just because a channel is flagged HD, does not mean to shows much if any HD content. The general consensus is they are equals in mainstream programming. Dish has the edge on Movies, Direct in sports...but that distinction is starting to gray. You should not be concerned with how many channels who has. Rather, who has the most channels YOU would want watch AND are willing to pay for.

Last edited:
Dish has more of a variety of channels in HD than DirecTV. They are not really behind, I would like it if they would add more of the premiums in HD, however, like KAB said, it they mostly have repeats of the same programming and you can catch it in HD anyway.
I like the channels in the BB@Home package quite well, I find myself watching IndiePlex, RetroPlex, and the Epix channels quite a bit.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

MavTV is not in a regular package on DISH. You have to add an extra $ package whereas it is standard on DirecTV.

MavTV is not in a regular package on DISH. You have to add an extra $ package whereas it is standard on DirecTV.
It is also SD only on DirecTV, and thus, nearly unwatchable, that is a matter of opinion of course, but I do find that the Dish EA SD is at least watchable.

I looked at that site before I made my own list. I found it to be convoluted and out if date in a lot of cases. For example, it shows Flix HD as "missing" from Dish, and there is not even a HD feed of Flix.
That's james for you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts