Considering switching to U-verse

I received an email from AT&T stating that U-verse high speed internet was available in my area. I checked into it. The only high speed availabe to me was 1.5 mb download. I am very disappointed. I was hoping to get a faster internet. I have the DSL high speed internet rated at 3 mb download but the best I can get is 1.8 mb download. What are my choices? Charter cable is available in my area but I have heard horror stories about their service.

I have Charter internet. I have used them since 2002 and I have no complaints with their internet. Their double and triple play stuff is a joke though. I pay about $50 less per month with Dish AT200 and Charter internet than I would pay for Charter's TV/internet double play.

My internet is $29.99 for 30Mb download service. I download large video game files(anywhere from 6GB to 30GB) from Steam, PSN, and Xbox Live all the time and I stream video from Netflix, MLB.tv, iTunes, and Amazon much more often than I actually watch my Dish service. I have never been throttled or warned about coming near my data cap. I don't know if I have ever got there. I just do what I want on the internet and don't worry about it. I consistently get speedtest results and game download speeds in the 45Mb-50Mb range even though I only pay for 30Mb service and I can't remember the last time I had an internet outage.

I have no problem recommending Charter internet if it is available in your area. I'd say it's definitely worth the risk if the best AT&T can give you is 1.8Mb. They don't make you sign a contract so you can always cancel if you don't like it but I don't think you would need to. I would stay away from the TV service though unless you only care about HD and DVR on one TV and you are fine with crappy old equipment. I have been able to stay on the new customer pricing for over 10 years by calling and asking for a better price once a year when they bump it up. No haggling or threatening to quit required.

I left U-Verse internet/phone for a local cableco (Wide Open West) a little over 2 years ago. There was nothing wrong with U-Verse, it was a very solid service. But I switched because I'm still paying $10 less per month now for 15/2 internet and phone than I was with U-Verse for 6/1 internet and phone. Also with U-Verse you can't use your own modems. Those gateway's that U-Verse supplies (and charges for) are far from the best. WOW makes me use their modem because I have their phone service (but I keep getting a credit for it, so I'm not really paying for it). But if I went to a VOIP service and not use WOW for phone, I could buy my own modem and use it instead (which I think I'm going to do and switch to Ooma). Also with cable, you can use your own hardware for a dvr. U-Verse you have to use (and pay for) their stb's. Finally, my sister has U-Verse for tv and I have to say the hd pq is poor. Nowhere as good as what I'm getting with Dish.

I have Charter internet. I have used them since 2002 and I have no complaints with their internet. Their double and triple play stuff is a joke though. I pay about $50 less per month with Dish AT200 and Charter internet than I would pay for Charter's TV/internet double play.

Your profile shows you are in Michigan. I'm in Talladega, Alabama. I think the Charter hub is in Birmingham which is about 60 miles away. The service in this area sucks. I might give it a try though just as a test.

The Uverse Internet is great, their TV and phone are garbage.

Wow I can't believe it. Agreed with you twice in a week.

U-verse HD is awful. Not only does it look like total garbage with fast motion, just watching TV slows down the Internet connection.

U-verse HD is awful. Not only does it look like total garbage with fast motion, just watching TV slows down the Internet connection.

HD looks great on my end, every bit as good as when I had Dish. We also don't have a problem with internet when tv's are in use either.

HD looks great on my end, every bit as good as when I had Dish. We also don't have a problem with internet when tv's are in use either.

Awesome....Thanks for update.
Glad you liking it..
I too have not noticed any slowdown issues with internet
and tv while both are on.

I was home sick today comparing Dish to Uverse HD.

Same channel-Wimbledon tennis ESPN 2 HD.
Uverse actually looked better...Vibrant and a very detailed picture.
Yes, not by much..but better.

My opinion or rather eyes of course..Regardless
of bit rate or lack of.

Well here is my update.... I have had u-verse for a little over 30 days and really enjoy it, the internet speed is three times as fast as the old standard elite DSL service I had... The HD TV is as good as the Dish HD, the DVR is taking a little to get used to...
So over all I am a happy camper.... now I guess I can cancel the Dish service.... Thanks to all of you for your comments

Well here is my update.... I have had u-verse for a little over 30 days and really enjoy it, the internet speed is three times as fast as the old standard elite DSL service I had... The HD TV is as good as the Dish HD, the DVR is taking a little to get used to...
So over all I am a happy camper.... now I guess I can cancel the Dish service.... Thanks to all of you for your comments

Enjoy!! I think over time it will get
Even better. The vod guide had changed.
It's a little harder to navigate.
Once you understand it, there's a ton
Of movies to watch

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)