Considering the switch, can someone help me with my setup?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

johnjay06

Original poster
Aug 6, 2011
US
Currently a Dish subscriber with a dual DVR and a seperate receiver in a bedroom. But with a referral and credit union discount, then Directv is becoming a very viable option for me price wise. Here is my scenario.

The main TV we use is our Living room. The master bedroom gets watched very seldom, maybe 2 days a month. The TV in our spare bedroom may get watched one time per 2 months. Anyone have any suggestions as to what setup I need? I am not sure how these hopper joey things work, so any suggestions would be great. Be gentle, I am as non technical as they come. Thanks in advance!

Do you want to be able to record/view recordings in the 2 bedrooms or is it only necessary to have DVR capabilities in the living room?

Also, what are your HD needs? Are all 3 tv's HD sets?

Only necessary to have recordings in the living room. HD is NOT a must in the bedrooms either. The only time i ever watch in the bedroom is when the wife is watching one of her stupid shows and there is a ball game on i wanna see.

I would go with a HR24 (HD-DVR) receiver for the living room and get H25 (HD) receivers for the master bedroom and the guest room. You could get all of them for free if you ask for the Whole Home DVR service and Choice Extra. With this setup the H25 receivers can access the recordings on the HD-DVR in the living room.

I would go with a HR24 (HD-DVR) receiver for the living room and get H25 (HD) receivers for the master bedroom and the guest room. You could get all of them for free if you ask for the Whole Home DVR service and Choice Extra. With this setup the H25 receivers can access the recordings on the HD-DVR in the living room.

This is our exact set-up, with one difference: The secondary TVs share a single H25 receiver, courtesy of a red-white-yellow to coax converter thingy. The secondary TVs can only watch the same thing at the same time, but they are used so rarely together that it doesn't warrant the cost of a 3rd receiver.

and if you want the 5 tuner HR34 its only $100 up front (normally 400)

one thing of note...get whatever you THINK you need or want NOW.....otherwise you'll pay through the nose later.
I originally got a SD DVR when I signed up. 6 months later I wanted HD so it would have been $300 to upgrade. I upgraded 10 months later and it still was $150 to upgrade. Had I got HD at the beginning it would have cost me about $50. At the time it was $10 for the HD but 5 months after I signed up they offered it to current subs for free..

The best route would be to just go ahead & get the HR34 for the living room & one H25 each for the bedrooms,& like Iceberg said,to just get it all now with your initial set up. Avoid future regrets & costs & go with the HR34 now(plus 2 H25's).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)