Considering upgrading to VaVa?

Voom4Me

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 6, 2005
New Jersey
With all the different opinions given regarding the addition of the six new channels, I was wondering how many of us non-vavavoomers would consider upgrading just to get the new channels? This is taking into consideration that a “middle tier” package is just speculation and if it “is” being considered it may be a long time before we actually see it, so upgrading would be the only way to see these new channels in the interim. !protest

I have been considering upgrading, but not because of the addition of 6 channels. I am considering doing so to help fund/support VoOm. If they added more HD channels to Va Va Voom, that might be an additional incentive, but not for those 6 SD channels.

The Va-Va Voom package should be HD. The SD channels belong in the Voom Package.
Voom should be looking at the price of packages of other providers. Dish is selling the Top 180 package for about $45. This includes the channels they just added to the Va-Va Voom Package.

Besides, these channels are not worth paying extra for. They are stupid channels.
Get real, the Military channel? Why should we be bombarded by the brain washing coming out of the Pentegon?

Throw in the RSNs and I am there. Otherwise, nothing new to pay another $40/month for.

klen said:
Throw in the RSNs and I am there. Otherwise, nothing new to pay another $40/month for.

Yes, I would do it if there was something else there, adding the RSNs to that package would do it!

piperut said:
The Va-Va Voom package should be HD. The SD channels belong in the Voom Package.
Voom should be looking at the price of packages of other providers. Dish is selling the Top 180 package for about $45. This includes the channels they just added to the Va-Va Voom Package.

Besides, these channels are not worth paying extra for. They are stupid channels.
Get real, the Military channel? Why should we be bombarded by the brain washing coming out of the Pentegon?

These are not brainwashing--but very educatioinal--historical, in fact. And, with all history, if we choose to ignore it or not learn about it, we are doomed to repeat it. History is NOT brainwashing.

I guess I understand why some people keep comparing price/packages to other providers to a certain extent. But to be honest, I don't feel EchoStar, DirecTV or Comcast have anything worth paying a premium price for as their PQ just sucks and there content is all SD, very little HD. I am paying more for VoOm because they supply something worth paying an extra buck or two for, quality. I tried Dish for 15 days and then they came and got their equiment because I wasn't going to pay to watch video that looked like it was coming off an old VHS tape using a 2 head VCR. Comcast didn't last that long, I made the techician who came and installed their system take it back out before he left. They were just as bad. The HD content looked worse than my digital signal coming in from SureWest. Out went Comcast. Then I ordered VoOm. GAWD! I was finally impressed with someones PQ.

On another note, Va Va Voom is NOT just for HD, its for premium channels. HBO, SHOWTIME, CINAMAX, STARZ (if you consider starz premium) and other non-standard general programming kind of thing. HD or SD doesn't really come into what the Va Va Voom package is for. VoOm as a whole is a HD centric service, so HD actually belongs mostly in the bottom tier IMHO.

History is written by the victors, they tell it how they want it remembered. It has nothing to do with what happened or the truth. History or the telling of it is one of the easiest and most widely used forms of brainwashing used today!

I understand those who are disappointed at Voom's decision to include these new commercial SD channels into the VaVaVoom level. From an offering point of view, the decision does not make sense. The basic package should be where the commercial SD channels go.

But from Voom's perspective, hey they need money! They want VaVaVoom to be as attractive as possible. Reduce the relative value of the basic package and increase the relative value of the VaVaVoom package. Get more people on board VaVaVoom.

Think of the basic Voom package as basic cable. VaVaVoom is where they want subscribers to be and where they want all future expansion possibilities to be. Just guessing IMHO.

I think it was a mistake to include it in the vava voom package. Especially when other providers give it to you standard. They arent attracting new customers with those prices

I am a Va Va VOOMER have been since day one.... BUT' with that said I do not think that the new channels should be Va Va Voom only channels.. I want More HD channels' SD new ones are ok..... The month on March is half way over, There should be a lot of new channels popping up soon. It would be very interesting, with what subcribers will get them... It seems like a bad move for a company that close to be shuting down make on a select few to see the new channels....

You are right...make VaVaVoom more enticing but with HD which is where Voom's advantage is. I for one really don't need more than one or two "Premium" channels (HBO, Showtime, etc.) and that's what I pay for but to pay more for SD does not make sense to me. Yes, if I upgrade I will get more HD but not the ones I would be interested in watching on a regular basis.

On another note (...and I hope not to get flamed here) Voom hasn't catered to the Hispanic market yet. D* has grown exponentially with the addition of "D* Para Todos" which adds channels of ineterest to Latinos. By adding a spanish tier, they would put Voom in a good position to appeal to a broader consumer base. We already have soccer and I'm sure with channels like GolTV and T&C, ESPN en Español, etc. they would have a much bigger chance to suceed. Just my 2cents.

piperut said:

Looks like you are tin foil hat challenged.
Ahem...as far as I know, there are NO channels that you MUST watch.

truqui said:
On another note (...and I hope not to get flamed here) Voom hasn't catered to the Hispanic market yet. D* has grown exponentially with the addition of "D* Para Todos" which adds channels of ineterest to Latinos. By adding a spanish tier, they would put Voom in a good position to appeal to a broader consumer base. We already have soccer and I'm sure with channels like GolTV and T&C, ESPN en Español, etc. they would have a much bigger chance to suceed. Just my 2cents.

truqui,

Although off topic, I fully agree. Expanding your market to cater to the Latino population has been a great success for D*, and the reason why many of those I try to sell on Voom wont make the switch. In discussing those channels that would “make or break” the decision for choosing which provider to go with, not including any Latino channels greatly limits Voom’s potential customer base. IMHO

Already have Va Va VOOM, but I would prefer to subscibe to a mid tier package with only two premium packages. Beyond a handful of the more popular cable favorites, I really don't care too much about the SD channels.

riffjim4069 said:
Already have Va Va VOOM, but I would prefer to subscibe to a mid tier package with only two premium packages. Beyond a handful of the more popular cable favorites, I really don't care too much about the SD channels.
Agree.

I Voted Yes, but the New Channels didn't do it for me. It was the chance of a free ride,
I called the CS line and asked if I could get 2 months free to try out VaVaVOOM. (like new subscribers) They said yes and if I didn;t like it to call back and change service plans before the end of the 2nd months bill cycle. (no penalties).

I really want to check out Fat Actress on Showtime.

Wise decision?

B.Greenway said:
Ok I know many of you know this, but I want to say it for those new to Voom. All of the premiums are in the VaVa Voom package, its not just those 6 SD channels. http://www.voom.com/use_it/channel_lineup.jsp

B.Greenway,

You make a valid point in stating that the premium package is not comprised of “only” the new channels, but at the moment, anyone not currently subscribed to VaVaVoom, would have to pay for that package just to see the new channels. Is that wise? :confused:

From Voom’s perspective, would it be more advantageous to “park” those channels in that higher priced package while creating a “middle tier” or would it benefit them more to make them available to everyone as a “free preview” increasing interest in those channels and the possibility that more people would upgrade, once they get used to watching those channels? :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)