Contemplating a WHDVR "upgrade"

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

hancox

Pub Member / UConnaholic
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 23, 2003
Monroe, CT
So - I've long had diplexed OTA on my SWM system. I have CAT5 to 2 of my 3 receivers, and a double RG6 run to at least one, if not 2, of my receivers.

I've been thinking of going to a DECA cloud for a while now. Somewhat because I would like to go to whole home DVR again (yes, I've been a holdout since they started charging for it). Also because I would like to see how much signal we're losing at the splitter/diplexer.

So:
1) Am I right that D* wants to charge me for "setup" of my fully-compliant system (once I rip OTA out)? I'd be willing to bet I would get a receiver swap out of the deal, given one of my DVR's is the somewhat infamous HR20-100.
2) CCK isn't included in 1, correct?
3) I'm heavily debating just doing a genie upgrade as part of this, depending on how the costs measure out.

Anyone on same fence as I?

This is where I am at , I have whole house DVR up and running just fine, 2 DVRs are using it great, problem is I have 8 boxes active on my account and because of the number of boxes I was always "suppose" to get SWM installed (we have one tv that cant get HD signals at all because of the splitter I believe...anyways I was thinking of doing the genie upgrade so they have to put the SWM in and tweek my signals to where they should be.

If you're upgrading to the Genie with the client you don't need the CCK as you can plug an ethernet cable to the back of the HR34 directly and that will feed your clients (not sure if it will do this for receivers that have tuners as well).

The AM21 module for the HR34 will also allow your C31 clients to see the OTA channels as well. Again I'm not sure if this is the same with the tuner based devices connected to the genie system.

So - I've long had diplexed OTA on my SWM system. I have CAT5 to 2 of my 3 receivers, and a double RG6 run to at least one, if not 2, of my receivers.

I've been thinking of going to a DECA cloud for a while now. Somewhat because I would like to go to whole home DVR again (yes, I've been a holdout since they started charging for it). Also because I would like to see how much signal we're losing at the splitter/diplexer.

So:
1) Am I right that D* wants to charge me for "setup" of my fully-compliant system (once I rip OTA out)? I'd be willing to bet I would get a receiver swap out of the deal, given one of my DVR's is the somewhat infamous HR20-100.
2) CCK isn't included in 1, correct?
3) I'm heavily debating just doing a genie upgrade as part of this, depending on how the costs measure out.

Anyone on same fence as I?

When I did mine a couple of years ago the first thing the installer did was to replace the HR20-100 with an HR24 because he didn't have the extra part that they require. I would bet that none of the installers would carry it now.

When I did mine a couple of years ago the first thing the installer did was to replace the HR20-100 with an HR24 because he didn't have the extra part that they require. I would bet that none of the installers would carry it now.
Did the 20 require the B-Band converters?

He's probably talking about the band stop filter, which is the reason the HR20-100 is infamous (it's the only receiver that needs one)

So - DirecTV offered to "flip the switch" for WHDVR (ie no upgrade fee), despite my lack of DECA. Asked for a note on my account :)

Got the parts off of ebay reasonably cheaply - added a 2-way splitter as I can go from 1x4 to 2x2 and squeeze a little more signal through.

Still going to try for a cheapie Genie drop-ship upgrade, but will probably try this soon enough.

When I tried the first time to add WHDVR (when they first started to charge for it) they required me to change my base programming package because I am still on Total Choice. So I would not only had the $3/mo WHDVR fee but also the increase in base package fee (the closest equivalent to what I have is the xtra+) which made it like $10/mo total, so I just said forget it. If they are ever willing to forgo the programming switch I am would be interested in this myself.

So - DirecTV offered to "flip the switch" for WHDVR (ie no upgrade fee), despite my lack of DECA. Asked for a note on my account :)

Got the parts off of ebay reasonably cheaply - added a 2-way splitter as I can go from 1x4 to 2x2 and squeeze a little more signal through.

Still going to try for a cheapie Genie drop-ship upgrade, but will probably try this soon enough.

What signal are you trying to squeeze through exactly?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts