Continue to wait for HD?

kavula

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 30, 2005
Hi guys! I've been shadowing the forums for the last few days trying to learn as much as I can. I'm getting ready to majorly upgrade my system for the first time since I got E*, probably 6-7 years ago. I've had an HDTV for almost two years, but the cost of HD equipment and programming never justified itself. I'm getting a little tired of waiting.
I'm planning on upgrading to SuperDish so I can get my local channels and hopefully save $12 a month since I currently subscribe to New York/Los Angeles/Denver/SuperStations for almost $20 a month. If I get HD, I want to be able to use my current dish to get 61.5. Right now, I have a Dish 500 system with three receivers off of a quad LNB. I don't know whether it is legacy or DP; I checked through my 501 and it said "500 quad". The actual LNB didn't say either, but I didn't take it apart. So which is it? And when I get my SuperDish, for what cost (if any, hopefully) can I get a DPP44 since I will sooner or later get a dual tuner receiver and replace two receivers with one?

My dilemma is with MP4 coming out sooner or later, whether I could lease an 811 for a one year equipment and programming commitment for $50 minus $25 for equipment trade-in (will they accept an ancient 1000 receiver?) plus $5 a month lease fee and $5 discounted HD Pack. I only talked to a CSR once, so I don't know whether to trust this offer anyway, but I assume it is correct. What I eventually want is a 942 with MP4. That's end of the year, earliest. If my dream receiver comes out before my one year is up, do I have any chance of upgrading? I could move the 811 to a non-HD tv (the TV2 I would have on my future 942 w/MP4) and keep it for the rest of the one year commitment. But in order to get a new receiver, would I have to commit to programming or more importantly can I commit if I still have several months left in the 811 commitment?

Confused? I am. Or I could just scrap all of my HD plans, get the SuperDish (hopefully with DPP) and buy, say, a used 522 and call everything good (it'd be cheaper without the HD; is the HD worth it?) Also with and without OTA on the 811 and in general 522, are they any good at all? I've read so many horror stories. I don't know if I could handle rebooting a receiver several times a day after my experiences with my bulletproof 1000, 4700, and 501.

BTW, I think I don't really want to buy an 811 since they'll be obsolete in less than a year with MPEG-4. But I don't have a problem buying a 522, since they won't be obsolete for up to 3.5 years or so. What do you think? Also, for my HDTV, I only have component inputs, if that makes a difference on 811 quality.

Kavula: It depends. Where are you located? In certain areas, E* will provide a free 61.5 dish to receive all of your locals. That was my case - there is one local Washington, DC station on 61.5, so E* put in the dish with legacy LNBFs to match those in my old Dish 500, removed the old SW21s and put in a new SW64 in order to terminate all 6 RG-6 leads. That was in January, 2005. I understand the older SW64s could be troublesome; however, I have had no problems with mine. On May 1, VOOM became available and I got those too. If MPEG-4 is on the way and the HD subs will be changed out first, then leasing makes the most sense to me.

da Doug

Not gonna happen for him. he said his locals are on a superdish.

it sucks that you got HD after you already Had dish because unfortunetly dish gives all the great promos to new customers :(

All my locals are on SuperDish. That's why I want to use my Dish 500 for the 61.5 and probably install it myself so I don't have to spend $100.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)