controlling what sat is used

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jorthecamel60

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 25, 2010
Illinois
I upgraded to HD last month.After a big hassle about sat 129(no los) we came up with solution. Sats 110,119,61.5 and 72.best signal on 110 ,82% where I used to get many sd channels.72 is lowest at 42%.When tech did first check switch he forgot to hook up 110.He then hooked it up did check switch over ,all ok.However I now notice most of my sd channels are on 72.Could the way he did the check switch have anything to do with the change and if so how do I change it back to 110.How about unpluging 72, do a check sw. hook it back and redo check sw.?I have to get some trees cut and go to the EA 1000.2.That will be a lot better than 3 dishes on my house.:confused:

I upgraded to HD last month.After a big hassle about sat 129(no los) we came up with solution. Sats 110,119,61.5 and 72.best signal on 110 ,82% where I used to get many sd channels.72 is lowest at 42%.When tech did first check switch he forgot to hook up 110.He then hooked it up did check switch over ,all ok.However I now notice most of my sd channels are on 72.Could the way he did the check switch have anything to do with the change and if so how do I change it back to 110.How about unpluging 72, do a check sw. hook it back and redo check sw.?I have to get some trees cut and go to the EA 1000.2.That will be a lot better than 3 dishes on my house.:confused:

First 1000.4 is Eastern Arc 1000.2 is Western Arc. It sounds like you can use either arc the determining factor is where are your locals located? 42% isn't that bad a signal with the new meter are you having troubles with channels on 72 or just panicing at signal levels?

If it were me I'd just leave it the way it is, and if 72.7 happens to fade out, then run a check switch again, and if 110 still shows up, you'll get your programming back.

I have the same set-up and it seems like the MPEG4 channels have priority over the MPEG2 channels. Everything on 72 is MPEG4 and the SD seems to have a slightly better picture than the same SD channels coming from 110/119 in MPEG2. We haven't noticed any increased rain fade at all from the old 110/119/61.5 set-up.

Thanks I was worried about rain.CRAZY setup isn't it? Do you get a big delay when changing channels?

Currently it's the best set-up for our area, as the SD locals are on 110 and the HD locals are on 61.5. No extra delay in changing channels and it's been working great for quite a while. Of course when 77 gets a new satellite next year it might be time to change the set-up. :)

no programming problem. Just wondering why system chooses sat with lowest signal.

It just chooses the sat that it needs to. Are you locals still on 110/119? That is the only reason in which I would think you need those. What city are you in? Do you have a receiver that is SD only? Several questions are missing answers here but really don't need to know them if everything is working fine for. you.

I am near Champ/Urbana. my hd locals are on 129(No LOS).So I don.t get HD locals..Stations are 60 mi away so OTA will be trickey and $$$$.3 trees blocking LOS to 129.My house looks like a billboard for dishnet (3 dishes)LOL.The installers here don't carry the 1000.4 just1000.2, Thats why the 3 dishes. 90%of my HD is on 61.5. Is 61.5 mpeg4?

sd locals on 119. 110 has quite a bit of HD programming. most HD on 61.5 the rest on 72.7. HD locals are hiding behind 3 trees(on 129)

sd locals on 119. 110 has quite a bit of HD programming. most HD on 61.5 the rest on 72.7. HD locals are hiding behind 3 trees(on 129)
I see what you are saying hopefully they will move your locals to EA next yr. Then all you will need is 1 dish. Also with this set up nearly all your HD is really coming from 61.5 & 72.7. In fact you really don't need 110 unless there is some special sports that you get off it. The LIL SD's are coming off 119.

Last edited:
I have to thank all of you.You helped me to look at the picture quality more than signal meter. Sat 72.7 I'm now SURE has better picture than sat 110. Thanks again

Hey Joe! When you run a check switch it basically lists the satellites in order on the switch. Later, when it starts building the channel lists during the "Acquiring Satellite" it basically matches your subscribed programming to the satellites it finds the channel on. First satellite it comes to with the channel wins. At this point, with your setup, 3HaloODST is right. You have redundant satellites with the same programming (except the HD) and when it resets it may build the list off the satellite with the signal it finds first. Make note of where that power inserter is on your setup as the reset there may restore signal in the event it gets "lost." Nice to see you here buddy.

Hey Joe! When you run a check switch it basically lists the satellites in order on the switch. Later, when it starts building the channel lists during the "Acquiring Satellite" it basically matches your subscribed programming to the satellites it finds the channel on. First satellite it comes to with the channel wins. At this point, with your setup, 3HaloODST is right. You have redundant satellites with the same programming (except the HD) and when it resets it may build the list off the satellite with the signal it finds first. Make note of where that power inserter is on your setup as the reset there may restore signal in the event it gets "lost." Nice to see you here buddy.

Except that's not the way it works in real life. I've had a set-up like this and a few other configurations for quite some time, and the way you described it is not the way it works.

Thanks anyway.

Nice to see you also.I was paying too much attention to signal strength. My wife really noticed a better pic.on SD channrls. Before we added 72 most SD was on 110.Now most on 72.Was a little confused.But after watching TV 2 I noticed a MUCH better picture.Really all of this is moot because I can watch TV 2 on HD channels also,just push format on remote so in many cases I can choose what sat I am watching.I have a beautiful picture NO pixelation or blackouts like I've heard complaints about from sat 129. So at this point I am leaving everything alone and enjoying it.Your all over the place aren't you LOL??? TTYL

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)