Conus locals

Channel 11 and channel9 are conus out of NY..they are superstationd

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

That is a different topic since their not distance channels. Distance channels are gone and will never return.

That is a different topic since their not distance channels. Distance channels are gone and will never return.

What I meant was they will work

Folks, let's not get nasty. If you don't want to answer, don't. If the thread is repetitive to you, don't read it. Let's keep it friendly, shall we?

As the to question about CONUS locals, San Francisco and New York are both on spot beams. This means that the signal that carries NYC and SF locals only reaches a very narrow area around their respective cities. Dish does have some local markets on ConUS (Continental US) beams that reach everywhere in the country, but only allow people who live within that local channel group's service area to subscribe to them. One could "move" to a particular city with ConUS locals. It would affect the time shown on the receiver if it's in a different time zone, and would also affect the eligibility for sports events, regional sports networks, and even availability of adult channels depending on your new "home" state and local laws. Dish Network does not encourage or openly allow "moving". An individual subscriber may only subscribe to ONE set of local channels. NO ONE can subscribe to more than one set through Dish.

Keeping all that in mind, the current local markets on Dish carried on ConUS at 77° ONLY include:
Bowling Green, KY
Bluefield, WV
Cincinnati, OH
Columbus, GA
Davenport, IA*
Evansville, IN*

Ft. Wayne, IN
Jacksonville, FL
Lexington, KY
Lima, OH
Little Rock, AR*
Louisville, KY
Paducah, KY
Springfield, MO*

*Either already moved or are moving to spot beams.
Some of these may also be on other sat locations, but are on Spot beam at those other locations.

NO OTHER LOCAL MARKETS ARE CONUS and available to subscribers even if your name begins with a Charlie and ends with an Ergan!

Thanks for all the info guys! The reason I was asking is because I have 8 dish receivers on the ship I work on. My supplier claims they can still get me NY or SF locals on 119W/129W, but I am skeptical. With the world cup coming up on ABC I need locals to work, at the time the ship will be in Alaska so I have to decide if I should trust the dealer and try to get SF/NY channels or if I should just tell them to try to get me the Alaskan locals for now. Not sure what deal they have with Dish either if the receivers are basically the same as the consumer RVs one or if they have some special arrangement in place.

Most of the World Cup is on ESPN and will be on CONUS. The finals are on ABC, so that is something to need to work through.

Alaskan service is provided by spot beams, Alaska is outside the CONUS coverage, i.e CONtinental US beam.

What little signal that may be receivable on CONUS in Alaska, you need a 3m dish to get and some in Alaska use the 3m dish for their spot beam reception.

Does your ship have internet service?

Channel 11 and channel9 are conus out of NY..they are superstationd

I thought superstations were no longer available to new subscribers, only to those who already had them?
If that is the case, then the part after the "And" in my comment above still applies, therefore, not available nationwide.

I thought superstations were no longer available to new subscribers, only to those who already had them?
If that is the case, then the part after the "And" in my comment above still applies, therefore, not available nationwide.
When you subscribe to NY locals on eastern arc..those 2 channels in the superstation slots are included..you get HD spotbeam versions and CONUS SD versions of 9 and 11..when NY conus locals were available they were included in the local package too(no longer available)

Okay. If we are going to play that game, there's about a dozen or so markets where the national PBS is available ConUS and nothing else. There's also a few markets out there where one or another indie or minor local channel might be ConUS. The thing is, that's not what this thread is about. At least that is not what this thread is meant to be about. This thread is about getting all the major local channels (four major networks--and looking at the OPs subsequent posts, specifically ABC) out of market. That's it! Anything else is a distraction.

Reactions: Tampa8
Go with the Alaska address. We sometimes for get how big Alaska is (the definition of spot in Alaska is really big!) The Alaska spot beam provides excellent coverage of the southern coastal waters.

Lets help the OP out.
Go to thelist. Check the SAT you are pointed to. Check if you are on a spotbeam which has HD locals. In my case I get SanDiego locals living in LA as I don't get 129 and can pick up 110 just fine. There are still a few conus locals on 61.5 and if you have 77, then there are a few more. Note: Before picking the conus locals on 77, ensure they don't exist on 61.5 as a spot else you won't get those unless you do a check switch and kill 61.5 all together. hope I didn't confuse. If you still need help, post back and we will help you out.

The LA and NY locals seem to be what most people want who did not live in those cites. The LA car chases and local news were extremely popular :).
Its sad to live in LA and pick up SanDiego locals. Wish LA locals moved to spot on 110 or 119. If I put the dish out a little further I'll get a notice to remove the dish from the patio :D

Folks, let's not get nasty. If you don't want to answer, don't. If the thread is repetitive to you, don't read it. Let's keep it friendly, shall we?

As the to question about CONUS locals, San Francisco and New York are both on spot beams. This means that the signal that carries NYC and SF locals only reaches a very narrow area around their respective cities. Dish does have some local markets on ConUS (Continental US) beams that reach everywhere in the country, but only allow people who live within that local channel group's service area to subscribe to them. One could "move" to a particular city with ConUS locals. It would affect the time shown on the receiver if it's in a different time zone, and would also affect the eligibility for sports events, regional sports networks, and even availability of adult channels depending on your new "home" state and local laws. Dish Network does not encourage or openly allow "moving". An individual subscriber may only subscribe to ONE set of local channels. NO ONE can subscribe to more than one set through Dish.

Keeping all that in mind, the current local markets on Dish carried on ConUS at 77° ONLY include:
Bowling Green, KY
Bluefield, WV
Cincinnati, OH
Columbus, GA
Davenport, IA*
Evansville, IN*

Ft. Wayne, IN
Jacksonville, FL
Lexington, KY
Lima, OH
Little Rock, AR*
Louisville, KY
Paducah, KY
Springfield, MO*

[EDIT]
New York SD Only locals are on ConUS available ONLY to NYC area subscribers from 119°
[/edit]

*Either already moved or are moving to spot beams.
Some of these may also be on other sat locations, but are on Spot beam at those other locations.

NO OTHER LOCAL MARKETS ARE CONUS and available to subscribers even if your name begins with a Charlie and ends with an Ergan!

Can someone confirm whether or not this list of CONUS locals available on 77 is still accurate?? Thanks,

Let's not forget that the ONLY reason satellite was providing LA or NY (and a few other cities in the two other time zones) locals way back when was because DBS could not legally provide each DMA's loca stations. That took an Act of Congress to acheive, and the broadcasters demanded and got into the law that if a subscriber could get their local DMA from the DBS, then they were NOT to also get the out of market Distant Nets.

Not to take too long to explain, but Dish got pretty loose about who would qualify for the Distant Nets, even if they did have their local DMA's, and this teed off the broadcasters, at least the major TV Networks who had O&O's that were part of the Distant Net program, who sued and a court was prepared to pull the plug on Dish's Distant Net--BUT, Dish and the broadcasters came to a last minute agreement that would allow Dish to continue is Distant Net program and pay the Big 4 Nets hundreds of millions of dollars for the previlege (that should give you an idea of how much money Dish was making on their loose Distant Net policy), and the court was prepared to allow the settlement, but ONLY if ALL 4 agreed to it. Well, the only one to say "NO" was Fox, who, at the time also owned, you gussed it, DirecTV. Hmm. What a coincidence. I think the other 3 Nets shed some tears at not getting their buckets of money, but they got over it and just charged mountains of money to rebroadcast their O&O's in the local DMA's.

The point is Distant Nets was offered only because DMA locals were not. Now that local DMA's are availble in nearly all the DMA's, Distant Nets just doesn't seem worth the trouble for Dish and DirecTV because the vast majoirty of subscribers want their local DMA channels. The rest of us LOVED getting programmin 3 hours ealier to ease the pressure of the DVR recording other shows during Prime-Time, and some of the local content from Distant Nets was pretty good, and yes, people all over the country LOVE LA's gritty, sensationalised, alarmist, action-packed fires, eathquakes and floods coverage, and sometimes silly local news and they just can't get enough of those highspeed car chases that really do grab ratings--everywhere, that there is still a desire for Distnat Nets. I would still have mine today if they had let me keep them. I do have the grandfathered Superstations, but they are in ugly SD.

Reactions: Tampa8
AS of today the following locals are available on 77° :

Lexington, Jacksonville, Harrisburg, Cincinnati, Paducah, Cape Girardeau, Louisville, Little Rock, Davenport, Springfield (MO), Evansville, Columbus (GA), Lima, Bluefield (WV).

See http://www.satelliteguys.us/thelist/index.php
That list is updated automatically whenever there are any changes to Dish satellites.

Is this still the case? I didn't know that Harrisburg, PA was Conus.