Convert HDMI to component, cheaply?

Pepper

DVR Addict~Mad Scientist
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 16, 2004
Satsuma, AL
OK, here's the deal. I've got an old HDTV with only component input, and only 1080i.

I have recently acquired an Apple TV 2 device which has only HDMI output, and only 720p.

Is there any reasonably priced way to connect these together? Sure, one day I'll get a new TV and it won't be an issue. But until then?

Honestly, no.

It can be done, but the device must convert digital to analog and then output the result. The problem is the paranoia of the industry that has forced HDCP 'protection'. They will not license a device that has an HDMI input and an analog output. Even the AV receivers that do conversion only do from component in to HDMI out.

And because of the Analog Sunset it will be harder and harder to find any analog HD source in the future (Blu-Ray or even streaming).
I think you should start thinking about upgrading your TV set.
Not only for the HDCP compliance, but also since your TV set is an old analog 1080i set, most likely it doesn't give you true HD resolution anyway. ;)

Interesting. The first one explicitly states it does NOT work with Apple TV. The second one has mixed user reviews. People say it will work with Apple TV, but that it puts out only 720P. Owners of some older sets that only synched to 1080i said it didn't work for them.

Amazon's return policy is good though, so it could be worth a shot. Save all receipts and packing, and if it doesn't work, ship it back.

That's why I said "something like this"...

And one user comment says it actually works with the latest Apple TV.
I'd guess it all depends on HDCP: when present - it doesn't work.
If you hack it and play MKVs - it probably will...

Diogen.

I don't know what you consider "cheap" but I have ready the HDFury devices work well for your situation. (HDFury)

I'm like you. My TV does not have HDMI and is 1080i. I bought the TV in 2003 and want to get at least 10 years out of it.

Well it's been a good TV but I'm not going to invest another $250-300 in it to connect a $80 streaming device, I'll just consider that as one of the benefits to justify the next TV.

Those devices all look like they won't convert 720p to 1080i so they wouldn't work either. Even the HDFury ones "The HDfury3 does not change the resolution or refresh rate in any way" so a true format conversion is likely to cost even more I guess. May as well have asked for a HDMI-driven ATSC transmitter which incidentally would also do the job and likely will never exist because of DMCA restrictions.

Thanks for the input all.

Last edited:
Those other devices all look like they won't convert 720p to 1080i...
Actually, of all the CRT HDTV I've seen, none where 1080/60i only (720/60p was always an option).

But getting a new TV would certainly be optimal...

Diogen.

The Sammy PCL5415 and its brethren are weird beasts. Two component inputs. One is only 1080i and the other is only 480p. Besides S-video and RCA composite those are the only options. The ATSC tuner was an extra-cost box for the 1080i input, where I currently have my dish receiver. It's a CRT rear-projection if that makes a difference.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)