converting from dish to directv question

dlh1435

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 6, 2004
question if I have dish network right now.how hard is it to convert to directv.is it just changing the dish and hooking up the boxes?thanks for any info.

For the most part yes. They have to install a new dish and give you new receivers. Depending on the condition/configuration of your current cabling, you MAY be able to just reuse what is already there. That will be up to the installer to determine. (Unless you plan on doing it yourself).

The biggest change is always learning the new channel #s.

When you convince Charlie Ergin/at&t to use the same technology as the larger D* then you can do what your novice question asks.:D

I was being serious. How can I have and use both systems on the same tv? Dish won't carry Logo but I don't want to give up dish because it still carries freespeech and maybe the will carry LOGO in the next 50years. I want to know how to link up both directtv and dish so I can switch back and forth.

I was being serious. How can I have and use both systems on the same tv?

The only way to do this is have both a Dish box and a D* Box feeding the same TV. This would also require two (or more) separate dishes pointing at different birds.

To get more technical, you'd have the Dish box up to Input 1 (Or whatever your TV manuf. calls it) and the D* box to Input 2. To switch back/forth you'd have to hit the "Input" (or whatever the remote's manuf. calls it) button. If you did go this route, and you would be switching back/forth frequently, i'd suggest picking up a nice programmable remote that will allow you to use multiple receivers. A Logitech Harmony remote would do the trick. Assign one activity to turn on the Dish receiver and the other to turn on/control the D* receiver.

Question...if you have a Directv and DISH HD receiver is there such a thing as an A-B HDMI switch box? ... 2 HDMI cables IN and 1 out to the tv???

Question...if you have a Directv and DISH HD receiver is there such a thing as an A-B HDMI switch box? ... 2 HDMI cables IN and 1 out to the tv???

Yes, there is. I have one to switch between my 622 and my DVD player that has an HDMI output. They're pricey, though. I think I got mine from Fry's for about $80.

Yes...there are a bunch of HDMI Switch boxes out there.

See link below for an example:

2X1 HDMI Switch - AutoSense - FireFold

hdmi-2switch-NEW.jpg

There are companies that make those, but most TV's that have HDMI inputs have three or four, so there really is no need.

Not true, if you have an older HD set like mine, 3 years old, I only have 1.

BUT, I have 2 components as well , and IMO it wouldnt be worth teh $80 for and HDMI switch, just put one on component.

question if I have dish network right now.how hard is it to convert to directv.is it just changing the dish and hooking up the boxes?thanks for any info.
New dish, receivers and possibly additional cabling. As many as two extra cables may have to be run if you require/desire over-the-air local channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)