CoolGear QSB35KS1 HDD enclosure

johnmc_76

Dec 18, 2005
I tried this HDD enclosure with my dish 622:
www (dot) cooldrives.com/sibayesandus.html
(Sorry, not enough post to post URLs)
When I put a new HD in it, I get a message that it's unsupported. But, if I put a HD in it that already has programming on it, I can see all of the programs on the drive. Only when I try to play a program do I get the unsupported drive message.

Is there something I can do to make this enclosure work? It's a really nice unit, fans aren't real quiet, but that isn't a problem for me. Being able to use inexpensive, bare drives seems like a big advantage to me. I bought a 500gb WD drive for $70.

Linux

I tried this HDD enclosure with my dish 622:
www (dot) cooldrives.com/sibayesandus.html
(Sorry, not enough post to post URLs)
When I put a new HD in it, I get a message that it's unsupported. But, if I put a HD in it that already has programming on it, I can see all of the programs on the drive. Only when I try to play a program do I get the unsupported drive message.

Is there something I can do to make this enclosure work? It's a really nice unit, fans aren't real quiet, but that isn't a problem for me. Being able to use inexpensive, bare drives seems like a big advantage to me. I bought a 500gb WD drive for $70.

The specs don't show that it is supported by Linux. Since the ext hdd for the E* VIP's are Linux units I think this device is unsupported.
As far as doing a link There is an icon above the (compose message) it looks like the earth with a chain link.

Thanks for the reply, I'll check with the manufacturer on the Linux. The fact that it lets me view the programs on the disk has me puzzled, though.

I know how to post a link, but when I tried, I got a message telling me I needed to have a minimum of 15 posts before I can do so (this one's only #4). Once I get to 15, I will edit my original post to include the URL.

Also, does anyone have any experience with other enclosures with removable disks that do work with Dish DVRs?

Last edited:
Here's the reply I got from the manufacturer regarding Linux compatibility:

"enclosure works with all operating systems (it does not care)

we do not promote our item to work with dish network stuff"

For what it's worth...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts