CoolGear QSB35KS1 HDD enclosure

johnmc_76

Original poster
Dec 18, 2005
I tried this HDD enclosure with my dish 622:
www (dot) cooldrives.com/sibayesandus.html
(Sorry, not enough post to post URLs)
When I put a new HD in it, I get a message that it's unsupported. But, if I put a HD in it that already has programming on it, I can see all of the programs on the drive. Only when I try to play a program do I get the unsupported drive message.

Is there something I can do to make this enclosure work? It's a really nice unit, fans aren't real quiet, but that isn't a problem for me. Being able to use inexpensive, bare drives seems like a big advantage to me. I bought a 500gb WD drive for $70.

Linux

I tried this HDD enclosure with my dish 622:
www (dot) cooldrives.com/sibayesandus.html
(Sorry, not enough post to post URLs)
When I put a new HD in it, I get a message that it's unsupported. But, if I put a HD in it that already has programming on it, I can see all of the programs on the drive. Only when I try to play a program do I get the unsupported drive message.

Is there something I can do to make this enclosure work? It's a really nice unit, fans aren't real quiet, but that isn't a problem for me. Being able to use inexpensive, bare drives seems like a big advantage to me. I bought a 500gb WD drive for $70.

The specs don't show that it is supported by Linux. Since the ext hdd for the E* VIP's are Linux units I think this device is unsupported.
As far as doing a link There is an icon above the (compose message) it looks like the earth with a chain link.

Thanks for the reply, I'll check with the manufacturer on the Linux. The fact that it lets me view the programs on the disk has me puzzled, though.

I know how to post a link, but when I tried, I got a message telling me I needed to have a minimum of 15 posts before I can do so (this one's only #4). Once I get to 15, I will edit my original post to include the URL.

Also, does anyone have any experience with other enclosures with removable disks that do work with Dish DVRs?

Last edited:
Here's the reply I got from the manufacturer regarding Linux compatibility:

"enclosure works with all operating systems (it does not care)

we do not promote our item to work with dish network stuff"

For what it's worth...

Upgrade the VIP211?

having a strange problem

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)