Cooling fans for Hoppers? (Under the unit type)

DallasBill

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Sep 17, 2005
Plano, Texas, United States
Anyone added cooling fans under their Hoppers similar to those that some of us place under laptops?

I'm running a pair of Hoppers and want to maximize cooling ahead of the hot summer months :cool:

does it do the job? Can you hear it running?
It seems to do the job for me, it still runs a bit hotter than I'd like (compared to a computer), but since the Hopper is supposedly designed to run hotter, I'm sure it's fine.

I can hear it when the TV is off or when the volume is muted (or in a scene where there is no audio whatsoever). You can adjust the speed on it (there's a switch on the AC adapter for it) to make it quieter if you'd like (at the expense of lower fan speeds, meaning less air pulled through the Hopper), I am using mine on the default settings.

One simple thing that helps is to use short sections of PVC pipe to elevate the Hopper allowing air flow underneath it. I use black pipe about an inch or 1 & 1/4 in cut into 4 pieces a little over an inch in length. Polished up a bit they appear part of the device. The chill mats with variable speed fans are good and even a single USB type computer fan to "pull" hot air and away also works. I've not measured the temperature changes but my "hand test" shows a substantial drop.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk2

I have the same cooling fan as Rizon216 in post #2 on three of my Hoppers. Check out the attached spreadsheet for how my Hopper and Joey temps are doing. The temps should get better as time goes on, haven't had the fans installed that long. I had same type of fan assemblies on my 722ks and the single fan version on two 722s. They did pretty good. Attached is also an old spreadsheet on temp readings for my 722s.

Attachments

• Hopper - Joey Temps.xls
    35 KB · Views: 302
  • 722 Temps.xls
    63.5 KB · Views: 314

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)