Coolsat 5000 Disaster

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Fizbi

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 16, 2008
Wild and Windy Casper, WY
It looks like I zapped my CS5000 last night, not sure.

I was loading birds into my Dad's SV HD8000 and when I finished, I plugged my CS5000 back unto the LNB line. Oops, the power was still on!

Sure enough, I go to different birds and nothing. It's trying, but I get nothing.

I'll have to do some troubleshooting and maybe try a reset.

I plugged the SV HD8000 back in to my system and that still works. Put my CS5000 back in and nothing. So, it looks like I fried my box. :confused:

Damn...and everything was working so well.

I've been using my CS5000 for about a year now with no problems.

Oh well....

If you have switches, it could be the switches that fried and hopefully not the receiver. Will the Sonic View work from the same lnb connection? Or will the Coolsat work from the Sonic Views connection, if it's a different connection?

It looks like I zapped my CS5000 last night, not sure.

I was loading birds into my Dad's SV HD8000 and when I finished, I plugged my CS5000 back unto the LNB line. Oops, the power was still on!

Sure enough, I go to different birds and nothing. It's trying, but I get nothing.

I'll have to do some troubleshooting and maybe try a reset.

I plugged the SV HD8000 back in to my system and that still works. Put my CS5000 back in and nothing. So, it looks like I fried my box. :confused:

Damn...and everything was working so well.

I've been using my CS5000 for about a year now with no problems.

Oh well....

Sorry to hear about your disaster.

You aren't the first to fry something. I don't know how many diseqc switches I fried in the beginning until I learned how to fix the problem.

The good news is, you can pick up a used Coolsat 5000 pretty cheaply. In fact, one of our members has one for sale in the classified section for $55.00 shipped right now.

Oh, and BTW, Welcome to the Forum!

It's more likely the diseqc switch is dead. You probably didn't harm the receiver. Most of them have "overload' or short circuit protection on the lnbf power output.

i would reflash the coolsat with the factory filmware and try again

i've had a tuner go out on a coolsat 5000 and everything worked right except it wouldn't get a signal. ( sent it in for warranty work)

It's more likely the diseqc switch is dead. You probably didn't harm the receiver. Most of them have "overload' or short circuit protection on the lnbf power output.

(drum roll...) Aaaaaaaaaaaand the winner is truckracer!

You are correct. I fried the switch. I bypassed the switch and fired up the CS5000.
It's all working again. Gotta hand it to CS for making a decent product. I was very worried that I zapped the receiver.

I'll order a new switch. In the mean time, I'll be swapping cables with my wrench I keep parked next to the dish.

BWAAAA-HAHAHAHAAAAA...:rolleyes:

good news

Damn, if you were just a -little- closer, I'd trot one right over to ya. ;)
edit: check your PM for alternate offer. :cool:
It's good to have a few spares on hand.

Glad the receiver didn't eat it.

Last edited:
I did some more checking on my CS5000 and I noticed that some of the channel data was indeed corrupted.

I went ahead and blind scanned all my SATs to make sure everything was still good. When finished, I was glad to find everything was back in order. WHEW!

I'm going to put a note on my box to remind me that the cable is hot.

NASA was fun to watch today. Lots of cool shots of space activity.

Final tests complete.

As for my fried 4x1 switch, I tried moving my cables from (LNB1 and LNB2) to (LNB3 and LNB4). WaaaaaLaaaaa! I'm now back in business.

Good thing I didn't huck the switch into the dumpster. This will be a good work around until I get a new switch.

Life is good again.

NASA was fun to watch today. Lots of cool shots of space activity.
NASA is an awesome channel :)

As for my fried 4x1 switch, I tried moving my cables from (LNB1 and LNB2) to (LNB3 and LNB4). WaaaaaLaaaaa! I'm now back in business.
cool

Good thing I didn't huck the switch into the dumpster. This will be a good work around until I get a new switch.
unless you've fully verified that its dead, don't throw it in the dumpster...never know when you'll need that 4 port diseqc that has 1 or 2 blown ports :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)