This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Coolsat 5000

Status
Please reply by conversation.

I moved the original post out into the main FTA area so we could keep this one to specific questions of the review

Here is your original post
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=54109

Coolsat 5000 flickering lights

Iceberg, have you experienced pulsating or flickering LED display ?

I have been playing with my receiver aggresively for last 2 days, alot of button pushing on remote Up- Down- Menu- Exit, if there's a button I've pressed it , and yes while my Stab HH 100 is changing from bird to bird.

Maybe my receiver is trying to catch up with me and maybe a little patience is what I need, I have experienced loss of remote functions and have remedied it by shutting down receiver, as to the flickering LED - - - - Has anyone experienced this ?

never had that happen. And I use my Coolsat 5000 alot..especially when scanning for games

I just got my Coolsat 3 days ago, so I've probably been pushing the buttons as much as Jayelem, and I noticed a bit of flickering on the LEDs. I turned it off with the remote, then back on, and the flickering stopped.

The blind scan works fast, but has anyone else noticed it doesn't scan very well? On IA-6 it missed both Azteca channels (the strongest TP on the sat) and Gene Scott, and on SBS-6 it missed WGNO. There were a few others, too. I got them with manual scans, the signals were strong.

The Coolsat does seem more sensitive than the Pansat 2500. On G10R, the 11720 TP is almost as strong as 11800; it was much weaker on the Pansat.

The coolsat 5000 is my first FTA receiver ( not counting Birdview C-band in the 80's) for Mpeg 2, theres a couple of issues I have with this unit and I believe they were pointed out by Iceberg.

One being that programmed satellites not factory installed are out of sequence and cannot be moved unless you use Channel Master program via Computer cable.

Another feature which I haven't been able to get used to is that using USALS although great positioner, when you enter new data for new sat and exit, your positioner will move back to previous Sat you were on, or channel changing when setting is on all sats will move your dish unless you remember to chose only that specific Sat. I'm sure its some sort of default and in time I'll figure it out.

+ Scanning is fast, yes I've noticed some channels were missed, I also have tweaked my dish and Improved Quality and this seemed to help pick up more sats.

thats weird...Azteca scanned in for me. Doc Scott didnt but when I changed the option for symbol rate to "Detail" it picks it up. (I know there is a feed real close that might overpower it)
WGNO is really low right now. I can barely get it with my Pansat 1500

The Coolsat does seem more sensitive than the Pansat 2500. On G10R, the 11720 TP is almost as strong as 11800; it was much weaker on the Pansat.
that is one drawback....a 66 signal on the Coolsat could be the same as a 30 on a Pansat. I use to have a thread on that a long time ago where a signal that was 99 on the Pansat was a 80 on the Coolsat and a 30 signal on Pansat was a 65 on Coolsat. The best I can get for signal on the Christian station on AMC6 (which blows the meter off my Pansat) is a 83

I'll spend some more time figuring out how it scans. When I scanned SatMex, it showed 125 radio channels, apparently from Echo 7 on 119.

I know you can't compare numbers from one brand of receiver to another... but on the Panset 11720 on G10R were almost breaking up, and they're very strong on the Coolsat. I found the same thing you did with the religious channel on AMC 6.

When I scanned Amazonas, I also picked up several TPs from the Echo/Sky Angel sat. Around a 90 signal! (of course, they're all scrambled, and oddly, it scanned in about half of the Sky Angel channels twice.)

thats weird with Amazonas....I can scan Amazonas and Echo3 separately with no crossover. On the Coolsat make sure to only scan between 11700-12200 for KU and 12200-12700 for DBS.

I did notice that 11720 on G10 was stable on the Coolsat

It’s probably the same. The loader they use (I just downloaded it) is the same thing I have for my 4000 & 5000. I didn’t check the software (don’t want to blow up my box) but it probably is the same

I downloaded the manual and the screen shots they show look like the Coolsat. Just the signal strength/quality bars look different

(oh, and they probably have a European satellite list loaded into it)

its the same thing that Coolsat uses

It is different than ChannelMaster. I'll play with this one a little more with my existing list and see how easy it works versus Channelmaster

Does the PIP show one pic live while the others are "frozen"?? I'm looking for an STB that can show several pictures at once live instead one one pic live and the others just pictures.

no

they're frozen (except for one) but you can roll to the others and then the picture comes up

For a true PIP, the Pansat 6000 would work. It does 2 screen PIP

getting a new coolsat 5000

I am sure this will be of great help to me in setting up my new coolsat

rargado said:
very accuate and informative review...
ever considered a career as a food critic?

no way....2 reasons

-I'm not real big on trying new foods (when I was a kid that was the big thing...lets try this new dish). I don't like the deviate off of my "normal" list of foods
-Ever see the episode of the SImpsons where Homer is the food critic and they try to kill him? Thats another reason

I just like reviewing satellite stuff

Please forgive my ignorance , but when you are tuned to an AC# channel on my Ultra , I get no sound period .

Do you get any sound on the TV , with the Coolsat on an AC# channel ? Or do you hace to have it hooked up to a sound system ?

I get sound on my PCI DVB-S on an AC# channel .

Thanks ,
Wyr

you need to hook it to an external receiver that can decode AC3 (I have an old Wally World tuner that can decode it)

Status
Please reply by conversation.