Coolsat 6000 bit the dust

Status
Please reply by conversation.
at one time for my 5000 I made a file with just the bootloader,the rest was all FF's basically starting from scratch.
It was for people with corrupt firmware on the 5000 that didn't want to jtag.

I agree with sergei. I have been a Certified Electronics Tech since 1973, and have similar experience in the field. Clean DC voltages are essential for proper operation of digital circuits. Capacitors may not fix the problem in all cases, but since they are cheap, it is the easiest thing to change that may produce a positive result.

I have loaded and attempted to load euro firmware on my 5000 and have killed it many times and recovered.
As long as the boot section is still intact,it can be recovered via serial port.If the voltages are good I wouldn't waste time rebuilding the power supply.

I have loaded and attempted to load euro firmware on my 5000 and have killed it many times and recovered.
As long as the boot section is still intact,it can be recovered via serial port.If the voltages are good I wouldn't waste time rebuilding the power supply.

Your talking apples and oranges here ....as your talking software versus hardware and I'd bet you still had a display of some type showing which says the CPU was still functioning at some level. He has no display which means the CPU is no longer accepting data and from his first description of the problem points me toward a capacitor going out and whether it's on the power supply or main board can only be determined by his measuring the voltages.
As far as repairing the power supply it's a simple one layer switching unit which most people could repair. Replacing capacitor on the main board would just need more care but can be done without damaging it.

Attachments

• img238.jpg
    img238.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 103
I would just buy a azbox and be done. Coolsat you can buy for 25.00 on craigslist if you want to go that way.

Your talking apples and oranges here ....as your talking software versus hardware and I'd bet you still had a display of some type showing which says the CPU was still functioning at some level.
no led display and no display on tv,which corrupt firmware would do.I would hook up a terminal program to rs232 to see if there is any action,then proceed from there.

Thanks to all for the advice and thoughts. I changed out C21 and one next to it. It came back to live and is doing fine so far. I'm running 10 fta receivers off 3 10's dishes, some receivers are getting old so replacing caps in power supplies may be come a frequent chore.

Thanks to all for the advice and thoughts. I changed out C21 and one next to it. It came back to live and is doing fine so far. I'm running 10 fta receivers off 3 10's dishes, some receivers are getting old so replacing caps in power supplies may be come a frequent chore.

Congratulations on the repair.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)