Coolsat 7100 PVR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PopcornNMore

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Gibsonia, PA
I just purchased a used Coolsat 7100 PVR receiver last night on EBay for $49 plus $13 shipping. I hope it works as advertised, but the price was half of what a new one costs, so I thought it was a good deal.

Anyone have one and if so, how do you like it? Is the PVR feature easy to use and can just about any external hard drive work with it?

I thought the 7100 was like the Visionsat??

pretty much any hard drive will work up to 500GB...I use a 320GB Western Digital unit and it works just fine

congratulations:

I thought Brian (SatelliteAV) had something to say about this receiver, recently.
Something about how well it was supported, maybe.
Whatever it was, it'd be worth searching for.
(Might have been at the end of the IV-200 review thread, but Brian's not that big a poster, so some old fashioned detective work won't really be that hard).

On my Visionsat, I've used a 500gb Maxtor, and a 750gb WD.
I'm pretty sure it'll work up to a 1,000 gb drive.

Your mileage may vary on the Coolsat, but that was a great haul! - :up

its the same as my coolsat 6100 with a hard drive.

great component picture!!!!!!!

easy intuitive menus

very good diseqc1.2 motor control

pvr is useless unless the provider supplies a program guide to go with it. You can still record live shows. They end up as a mpeg4-ts file which can be converted or replayed on your 7100

good to know freezy that the 6100 is pretty much the 7100 minus a hard drive
anole...all I have is the 320GB unit so I dont know the maximum limitations of the HD capacity

I also like how the Coolsat 7100 stores up to 10,000 channels and has a 5 year warranty. Thank you everyone on your input. Since it is a "used" receiver I believe the first thing I am going to do is install the latest Coolsat authorized firmware just incase it was used for hacking.

Coolsat 7100 micRo PVR Features:

Up to 40 min. Time machine, Recording & Play back using 1 GByte internal memory
(Extendable using an External USB Hard Disk Drive)

Max 500 GB external USB 2.0 Host Hard Disk Drive (Fat32 format)

Support 9 Day EPG

Dual USB 2.0 Host support (MP3 Player & JPEG Viewer)

MPEG-II Digital & fully DVB Compliant

Blind Scan

Multi-LNB Controlled by DiSEqc Control Version 1.0, 1.2, and USALS

Multi Satellite Search

On-Screen Display with 65,535 Color Full resolution

Favorite Channel Groups

Powerful Channel Control by Favorites, Lock, Skip, move and Delete

Multi Language Support (OSD & Menu)

Closed Caption Support

Maximum 10,000 Channels Programmable

Multi-Picture Display

Parental Lock / Receiver Lock

CVBS Video & Audio Output via RCA

Component Y/Pb/Pr Output via RCA

S-VHS Video Output

Optical & Coaxial Output for Digital Audio

Software & Channel Database Upgrade via RS-232 and USB

Premium Grade Universal Remote Control

I seem to remember reading that the main difference between the visionsat and 7100 are the internal memory for timeshifting. The coolsat is supposed to have more.

Another difference is that the Coolsat 7100 has the USB port in the back instead of behind a door in the front. I love my Visionsats, but I wish they had rear USB ports...

It's now been 6 days since I won and paid for the Coolsat 7100 from a seller on Ebay. I have not received the receiver nor have I received any shipment confirmation. Should I be worried? I sent the seller a question tonight asking if the item had been shipped. I'll see if I get a reply.

In my experience on EBay, which is considerable, I often never actually hear from the shipper. The item just arrives, and that's that. I wouldn't really be concerned until after 10-12 days... Hopefully, the seller will give you some information before that time.

I agree 100% with Tron.
You have protection from paypal until 45 days after the auction ends. If you never hear anything and dont receive the goods, file a dispute at around 30 days. Thats what I would do.

Well the seller finally shipped the receiver and it was received yesterday via USPS in only three days from CA to PA. The seller said he was out of town and was sorry for the delay.

Condition:
Remote is brand new (no scratches or marks and has the thin plastic covering the buttons). The receiver also has the thin plastic on the faceplate and is in very good condition. A small scratch appears on the top, but since I received this receiver for only $49 I am not complaining since it was sold in used condition. It also came with a brand new 256MB flash drive.

Setup:
I disconnected my Coolsat 4000 Pro receiver and attached the Coolsat 7100 DVR receiver in its place. I saw that EchoStar was selected and channels such as Showtime and HBO were entered showing that this was probably used for hacking and once the channels were no longer available he decided to sell the box. A password was needed to enter the menu selections. I tried "0000" and it didn't work. After becoming frustrated I logged onto Satellite Guys and discovered that the password is probably "0103". I tried it and it worked. :)

What I like about the Coolsat 7100 DVR receiver:
1) Component output
2) Excellent video quality. Using composite video output it looked better than the Coolsat 4000.
3) DVR Feature
4) When you press a channel such as "1" it will showe for example "1 - FOX News". The Coolsat 4000 doesn't do this.
5) Blind Scan - I performed a blind scan on both Galaxy 17 (C-Band) and AMC-4 (KU-Band) and in both cases it discovered additional channels that the Coolsat 4000 didn't pickup. I prefer the way the Coolsat 4000 scans in the channels, but this is ok if it sees additional channels.
6) Remote - It also operates my Coolsat 4000 receiver.
7) Graphics - Nice, but I miss a few things the Coolsat 4000 displayed. I wish you could add a .jpg image in the background of the menus instead of displaying the flowers. I don't know why they didn't even display a satellite dish in the background like the Coolsat 4000 Pro.
8) Multi-Picture - This is lacking in the Coolsat 4000. It is a nice feature, but it could be improved.
9) 10,000 channels can be stored in memory compared to 5,000 with the Coolsat 4000.
10) Front panel display - Lacking on the Coolsat 4000. This is nice to have, but I wish more characters were available to display the full channel name and satellite.
11) Signal beeping - Can be enabled for adjusting dish. Very nice and something lacking in the Coolsat 4000.
EDIT: 12) Front AND rear USB port.

I still need to learn some of it's features like the DVR, but overall I feel it was an excellent purchase.

Questions:
1) Could I export my channel list from the Coolsat 4000 and import it into the Coolsat 7100 to save setup time?
2) I downloaded the latest firmware from Coolsat, but the extension is different and STB Tool did not reconize the file type. What could I use?

Last edited:
I agree 100% with Tron.
You have protection from paypal until 45 days after the auction ends. If you never hear anything and dont receive the goods, file a dispute at around 30 days. Thats what I would do.

PayPal protection is not the best. If people have trouble, I would go through your credit card provider.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)