coolsat 8.1K ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sololuis

Original poster
Apr 25, 2008
Hy forum .just got a coolsat 8.1K but I cant erase the programed that come with it factory rest dont work the same as my very trusty coolsat 5000 .could tell me if what does need to work as was planned to be used .Thanks;)

A Coolsat 8100 or 8000?

You might need to reload the factory firmware....otherwise to remove all the channels go to delete, then select ALL (or TV possibly...I forget)

A factory reset will erase everything

Hy forum .just got a coolsat 8.1K but I cant erase the programed that come with it factory rest dont work the same as my very trusty coolsat 5000 .could tell me if what does need to work as was planned to be used .Thanks;)

Hi Solo,

Hey, sorry that I can't assist. I am still using my 5K, too. But, I think that Iceberg has a CS8K, should be similar approach to clearing the memory and firmware. Maybe he or another will be along after dinner???

My brother has a CS 6.1K, which should also be similar, so if I can reach him I will ask him for the procedure as well and come back to respond.

RADAR

A Coolsat 8100 or 8000?

You might need to reload the factory firmware....otherwise to remove all the channels go to delete, then select ALL (or TV possibly...I forget)

A factory reset will erase everything

Ice,

Is there a specialty menu on the 8K/8.1K Coolsats like there is on the 5K and 6K's? The diagnostic menus?

Solo stated that the factory reset wasn't doing what he thought it should or he hasn't found the navigation route to get to it, I guess.

RADAR

I have to hook mine back up but there is a way to delete channels and do a factory reset.....lemme hook it up

delete channels

-menu
-scroll to "channel" (3rd item)
-move down to "delete" (password entry)

option will say "mode"...leave on channel and option of TV and hit "OK"...will delete all channels

master reset
menu
advanced
reset factory default (password)

that is from the 8000

Ice may have answered your question, but I must admit that I don't really understand what you're asking, ie exactly what are you trying to erase, the firmware, the satellites, the channels, the transponders, all of the above???
Regardless of which, I think the exact answer probably depends a lot on specifically what firmware you now have on the 8100, because what you can change is different with different firmware versions.

So if by chance Ice's answer doesn't help, you might start by explaining exactly what you are trying to do, and what firmware you're using.

Ice may have answered your question, but I must admit that I don't really understand what you're asking, ie exactly what are you trying to erase, the firmware, the satellites, the channels, the transponders, all of the above???
Regardless of which, I think the exact answer probably depends a lot on specifically what firmware you now have on the 8100, because what you can change is different with different firmware versions.

So if by chance Ice's answer doesn't help, you might start by explaining exactly what you are trying to do, and what firmware you're using.

My impression was that Solo was trying to clean the slate of the hack firmware, but that the factory reset wasn't doing the job.

He might be misled by the indication when checking the current firmware installed, it may still reflect the old firmware (last version installed) until the new version is installed.

I am not sure of this, I am only guessing and assuming. Solo will have to explain it in more detail.

RADAR

Factory reset would never clear hackware. It takes loading the factory firmware AFTER running a CLEAN operation. The 8100/8000 series won't load an earlier firmware version without being "cleaned" first. The file HD Clean is at the end of the CS8000 review in the Reviews section.
:)

This is the most recent factory firmware in my files.

I have a 1447A and a 2025A version, which is the last one before Coolsat went under. I have the 2025A in my 8100. I think there are a couple newer pirate versions, but I haven't tried them. Up until the last couple versions, the pirate firmware was the ONLY way to get anywhere near the advertised performance of the receiver, but the 2025 is pretty good. There are a couple pretty significant differences between 2025 and the earlier versions though... not sure which version it started with, but the earlier versions only allowed something like 31 sats, but those sats could be changed to ANYTHING by the user. The newest versions allow a lot more than 31 sats, but I think you can't create sats (I'm a bit fuzzy on this since I haven't used my 8100 for many months (since I got my Azbox, I stopped using the 8100).
But if you can't find the 2025, it's attached below: {I think }

I give up. I've uploaded the file more than 4 times. It's told me that it uploaded, but it doesn't appear. If anyone wants the file, contact me via pmail.

EDIT: Finally got it to upload. Apparently the forum server won't take a file with a sgn extension. When I zipped it, it took it. ??????

Attachments

• CS8100-2025A.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 143
Last edited:
I have a 1447A and a 2025A version, which is the last one before Coolsat went under. I have the 2025A in my 8100. I think there are a couple newer pirate versions, but I haven't tried them. Up until the last couple versions, the pirate firmware was the ONLY way to get anywhere near the advertised performance of the receiver, but the 2025 is pretty good. There are a couple pretty significant differences between 2025 and the earlier versions though... not sure which version it started with, but the earlier versions only allowed something like 31 sats, but those sats could be changed to ANYTHING by the user. The newest versions allow a lot more than 31 sats, but I think you can't create sats (I'm a bit fuzzy on this since I haven't used my 8100 for many months (since I got my Azbox, I stopped using the 8100).
But if you can't find the 2025, it's attached below: {I think }

I give up. I've uploaded the file more than 4 times. It's told me that it uploaded, but it doesn't appear. If anyone wants the file, contact me via pmail.

EDIT: Finally got it to upload. Apparently the forum server won't take a file with a sgn extension. When I zipped it, it took it. ??????

I have a Coolsat 8100 that I also stopped using when I started suffering the AZBox. I have a much older version of the firmware than this think it is 12?? always had problems with it. I tried loading newer firmware a couple of times but was never successful.

Attempts had me going to a friend's computer to put the firmware on the UBS stick (My computer is not new enought to have one of these) I then insterted into into the Coolsat but was unable to get it into the receiver. This approach worked when I tried it on the AZbox.

Anyone know how to get newer firmware into the Coolsat 8100?

I have a Coolsat 8100 that I also stopped using when I started suffering the AZBox. I have a much older version of the firmware than this think it is 12?? always had problems with it. I tried loading newer firmware a couple of times but was never successful.

Attempts had me going to a friend's computer to put the firmware on the UBS stick (My computer is not new enought to have one of these) I then insterted into into the Coolsat but was unable to get it into the receiver. This approach worked when I tried it on the AZbox.

Anyone know how to get newer firmware into the Coolsat 8100?

I think that on the older firmware versions of the 8100, the USB upgrade generally didn't work, I think usually you'd get some error saying that it didn't recognize the file on the thumb drive or something like that. However the last several versions corrected this, and USB upgrade worked OK. Plus, if you're upgrading from a pirate firmware, you can't use USB, because you generally have to first load the "CLEAN" file before loading the new factory firmware (after pirate firmware), and the CLEAN firmware doesn't have anything on it to allow you to load via USB.
Basically, the only SURE way of putting new firmware on the 8100 (or 8000) is via the RS232 serial port. You need the CSUpgrade_v3.01.zip to load the firmware. If you have factory firmware on there (ie file name ends in an "A" rather than an "F"), then I *think* that you can load it over the old firmware, however I have generally always wiped the receiver clean with the Clear_sw(HD).bin file, but not everyone bothers to do this.

I've only once had problems loading firmware, and that was the very last time I did it. For some reason, after I loaded it, the receiver went into one of those endless reboot things. I can't remember what I did exactly to fix that, but I think I just loaded it again, and it took the 2nd time.
I think people say to wipe the receiver clean before and after loading firmware, ie erase channels, and reset to factory, however this doesn't always do anything. One time I switched to a new firmware version, deleting everything before doing it, then, I didn't like the new firmware, and went back to the old, and all my channels were still there (although the parameters were scrambled up), so it doesn't seem like the erase and reset process really erases things all the time for some reason.

When using the CSUpgrade program, run the program on the computer. Select the file to upload, turn off the 8100, then hit start on the computer, then turn on the receiver and wait for it to upload, which takes a while, plus even after it gets to 100%, you still have to wait a while for it to process. I've read some other methods of doing the upgrade, which say that you have to instantly turn the receiver on after hitting start, however timing is not important. You can take your time turning the receiver on.

I think that on the older firmware versions of the 8100, the USB upgrade generally didn't work, I think usually you'd get some error saying that it didn't recognize the file on the thumb drive or something like that. However the last several versions corrected this, and USB upgrade worked OK. Plus, if you're upgrading from a pirate firmware, you can't use USB, because you generally have to first load the "CLEAN" file before loading the new factory firmware (after pirate firmware), and the CLEAN firmware doesn't have anything on it to allow you to load via USB.
Basically, the only SURE way of putting new firmware on the 8100 (or 8000) is via the RS232 serial port. You need the CSUpgrade_v3.01.zip to load the firmware. If you have factory firmware on there (ie file name ends in an "A" rather than an "F"), then I *think* that you can load it over the old firmware, however I have generally always wiped the receiver clean with the Clear_sw(HD).bin file, but not everyone bothers to do this.

I've only once had problems loading firmware, and that was the very last time I did it. For some reason, after I loaded it, the receiver went into one of those endless reboot things. I can't remember what I did exactly to fix that, but I think I just loaded it again, and it took the 2nd time.
I think people say to wipe the receiver clean before and after loading firmware, ie erase channels, and reset to factory, however this doesn't always do anything. One time I switched to a new firmware version, deleting everything before doing it, then, I didn't like the new firmware, and went back to the old, and all my channels were still there (although the parameters were scrambled up), so it doesn't seem like the erase and reset process really erases things all the time for some reason.

When using the CSUpgrade program, run the program on the computer. Select the file to upload, turn off the 8100, then hit start on the computer, then turn on the receiver and wait for it to upload, which takes a while, plus even after it gets to 100%, you still have to wait a while for it to process. I've read some other methods of doing the upgrade, which say that you have to instantly turn the receiver on after hitting start, however timing is not important. You can take your time turning the receiver on.

OK this has lots more questions.

Is the RS 232 the same type of serial that one uses to connect the computer to a modem or a printer?

Where does one get the CSUpgrade_v3.01.zip programme and the Clear_sw(HD).bin file?

Are these programmes something that ones needs a Windows computer to work with or will they work on a classic Mac?

I bought my receiver new and it still has the factory software in it that it was shipped with. Been informed by others that some of the pirate versions may actaully work better than thefactory ones do for legitamte uses of the reciever. But as far as I know the hackers are no longer around.

OK this has lots more questions.

Is the RS 232 the same type of serial that one uses to connect the computer to a modem or a printer?
Yes, although I can't remember off hand if it's a regular straight through cable or a reversing cable (like a null modem).

Where does one get the CSUpgrade_v3.01.zip programme and the Clear_sw(HD).bin file?

I'll try to attach them. Since you have a factory firmware, I don't think you'll need the clear file, but if things go wrong, it's good to have a copy. I got it because my first 8100 came with pirate firmware, and my 2nd 8100 wouldn't work right until I put pirate firmware in it.
Are these programmes something that ones needs a Windows computer to work with or will they work on a classic Mac?
Windows.
I don't know if they will run on a Mac emulating Windows or not.

I bought my receiver new and it still has the factory software in it that it was shipped with. Been informed by others that some of the pirate versions may actaully work better than thefactory ones do for legitamte uses of the reciever. But as far as I know the hackers are no longer around.

I'm still seeing new versions of hacker firmware, but I haven't noticed any non-pirate improvements mentioned. Only thing I'd be interested in is something to keep it from occasionally rebooting or freezing. I've had 2 8100s. My first one worked fine, never rebooted or froze up, however it got hit by lightning. My second one froze up and rebooted right from the start (the fan didn't work, and I think it overheated). I've since fixed the fan, but it still rebooted a lot until I tried a version of pirate firmware that said it fixed that problem. There were a few other things that the hacker firmware worked better at. However the newest firmware works as well as the hacker firmware, so I haven't tried anything else new since the 2025A factory firmware came out.

Attachments

• CSUpgrade_v3.01.zip
    33.8 KB · Views: 107
  • clear_sw_hd_.zip
    147 bytes · Views: 91
There are only 2 advantages that I know of, with the hacker firmware.
1) Ability to turn off the annoying dish aiming sound.
2) Diseqc 1.1 support , which was implemented in the hacker stuff around March 09, apparently.

Important to some people, not to others.

Here are the full loader files....it says 8000 but it works for 8100 too

You need to run part 1, then part 2, then 3.01 for the loader

Attachments

• CS8000HD upgrade loader files.zip
    3.8 MB · Views: 168
Here are the full loader files....it says 8000 but it works for 8100 too

You need to run part 1, then part 2, then 3.01 for the loader

I don't know if what you are describing (and I asked about this once before when you posted this) is a difference between the 8000 and the 8100 (the OP is talking about the 8100 I think), or if it is something that is required for some operating system configurations, but this business of run part 1 then part 2, etc, etc WAS NOT REQUIRED for me and the 8100.

I just run the CSUpgrade_v3.01 progtram I referred to above. Then used that to download the firmware (or the clear file) to the 8100. It was very simple.

I seem to remember some discussion about some DLLs or VBXs or something being missing in some operating system configurations, and I've seen some posts regarding how to register these components. This was NOT necessary for me. It's possible that I already had the components registered in my computers, but I find that unlikely because I've done the "simple" procedure from 3 different computers, with both Win-2000 and Win-XP.

Anyway, I have always been curious about just what this 3 step procedure you mentioned is all about. This is nothing like what I've done with my 8100.
For me, it's just run the CSUpgrade_v3.01 program and upload. That's all.
And I've changed firmware dozens of times with only one minor problem.

So is the 8000 procedure that different (I have seen different instructions for the 8000 than I got for the 8100), or is this just a failsafe procedure in case components are missing from the computer?

EDIT: I just looked into what the part1 and part2 items in Ice's package are doing, and I see that it does seem to be adding some components related to serial communication. I use most of my computers for serial communications a lot, so I thought perhaps I already have all the serial components registered from other processes (like visual basic). Anyway, I just moved the CSUpgrade program over to a computer that just recently had it OS replaced, so I hadn't done anything serial related on it. Sure enough, when I tried to run the v301 program, it came up saying that mscomm32.ocx was missing. I definately have this registered on all the computers I use, and use that ocx all the time. So I moved the mscomm32.ocx file over to the new computer, and just put it in the same directory with the CSUpgrade program, and the program ran fine.
Anyway, this seems to explain the WHY, ie some people who haven't run any serial communications programs may not have this ocx, and perhaps some more, but it sure seems simpler to just put that file in the same directory rather than going through a multi step procedure.

Last edited:
i dont the need the first 2 steps either when i load my cs8.1k. just the loader and a null modem cable. i tried a few different versions lastnight. 63f, 62f, 2025a. no matter what i load i cant store more than 31 sat positions into my gbox3k or vbox2. kinda sucks now that i have ku on the 10 footer. there is no way to store enuff positions now for sure. i need about 66 locations. as mentioned earlier about the factory vs hacksoft differences.... the 2 mentioned are all i can see as well. too bad coolsat is now defunct cuz there were a few more things they coulda fixed.

-the option to kill the signal tone shoulda been in the factory file
-there is no way to add the numeric location to user sats for usals.
-turn the fan off in standby
-31 diseqc 1.2 position limit. (must be a code remnant from the 31 sat list)

otherwise its a decent unit.

crackt out,.

There are only 2 advantages that I know of, with the hacker firmware.
1) Ability to turn off the annoying dish aiming sound.
2) Diseqc 1.1 support , which was implemented in the hacker stuff around March 09, apparently.

Important to some people, not to others.
as mentioned earlier about the factory vs hacksoft differences.... the 2 mentioned are all i can see as well. too bad coolsat is now defunct cuz there were a few more things they coulda fixed.

-the option to kill the signal tone shoulda been in the factory file
-there is no way to add the numeric location to user sats for usals.
-turn the fan off in standby
-31 diseqc 1.2 position limit. (must be a code remnant from the 31 sat list)

otherwise its a decent unit.

Relative to pirate firmware vs "factory" {which was in reality pirate firmware with pirate options disabled}, as mentioned, NOW, there isn't much difference, however originally, the factory firmware that came on most receivers was extremely deficient, and the fixes came first via the pirate versions, and then made it into the factory versions. I can't remember the big issues, but I *think* that one was that the receiver wouldn't record more than the 4 gig FAT32 limit {sound familiar?}, but the pirate versions brought in the seemless multi-file recording/playback capability. Another issue was that the USB transfer of firmware didn't work right. There was something else big, but I can't remember. I do remember being VERY unhappy with the receiver at first, but that new firmware versions from the pirates slowly fixed things. But for me, the biggest thing was stability. The 8100 seemed to have issues with rebooting and freezing, and those problems seemed to be greatly improved with newer firmware versions.

i dont the need the first 2 steps either when i load my cs8.1k. just the loader and a null modem cable. i tried a few different versions lastnight. 63f, 62f, 2025a. no matter what i load i cant store more than 31 sat positions into my gbox3k or vbox2. kinda sucks now that i have ku on the 10 footer. there is no way to store enuff positions now for sure. i need about 66 locations. .

That's interesting relative to the 31 sat positions. That was certainly true up to about the last 2 or maybe 3 firmware versions, since there was a 31 sat limit on the receiver (one of the issues that the pirates "fixed"), however the last couple firmware versions didn't have the 31 sat limit, so it's surprising that 2025A would have that problem. I don't think I ever ran into that issue with any firmware version, because while I used diseqC-1.2, I tended to use the Coolsat in slaved mode much of the time. This was related to what I think were the BIGGEST problems with respect to the Coolsat, and that was that it didn't really have a channel editor that would work with it, and the receiver itself didn't have any way of specifying the DiseqC-1.2 sat number either. Also, the receiver couldn't specify AC3 audio or MPEG4 video for manual PID channels, which is another thing that a good channel editor would have done.

Related to the lack of a channel editor, even restoring channel lists was an issue with the firmware versions that had the 31 sat limit. Basically you couldn't restore your sats, transponders, channels, favorites, etc, if you upgraded firmware or reset the receiver. People have posted that this was fixed with the new versions, but it didn't work for me. It was much better, but there were still parameters that it didn't restore. I can't remember off hand what was wrong, but I remember that it was a significant enough issue that I never really bothered to load the receiver up with satellites. I just used the thing slaved, and often had channels saved under the wrong sat names, etc.

There are a couple problems with the newer firmware versions, that didn't seem to be a problem with earlier firmware. but my memory is foggy, and I can't remember what the issues were. One issue that may have been just MY receiver was that for some unknown reason, with the newest firmware, I couldn't get stable video on those PBS scpc 4444 SR transponders. Before switching to the new firmware, these were very stable, but they were unwatchable with the newest firmware.

Overall, the 8100 was a great receiver in terms of having a good sensitive tuner, and giving great picture quality, and being capable of recording at high bitrates, and it also had a VERY nice favorites option. But the firmware was really aimed at the pirates, and there were many issues important to FTA'ers that they never bothered to correct, such as the lack of a channel editor.

I've had my 8100 packed away ever since I got my Azbox, but I may just get it out again since neither the Azbox nor my Diamond 9000 will record high bitrates.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)