Status
Please reply by conversation.

pedrogarcia

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 27, 2008
Kalamazoo / Limassol
SATLOOK NIT
Has anyone tried out the either of the following spec analysers please. I have been pleased with my CRT type Satlook NIT and am looking to get one of these.

Satlook MicroG2 NIT

Satlook Micro HD 8PSK

Are any of our sponsors going to stock them?

I saw earlier this month a question on the First Strike FS1 meter - has anyone used this yet?

Hi Pedro

I just check out the spectrum analyzer Satlook NIT on Sadoun web site and the Satlook Micro HD on a german website. They are very pricey for the average FTA hobbiest.

I guess you use it for work, I have read many of your replies to threads here on satelliteguys, and I take it that you travel overseas because you work as a satellite equipment installer.
Regards
Mike Lib

pedro,

Not all of the Satlook spectrum analyzer models are available in the USA. If you PM me and include your email address, I will check and get you a price on these too models.

Mike, I am inclined to agree with you on the price but having always used a spec analyser and for the last many years a Satlook I'm hoping the Micro G2 will be around the $450 mark.
This may sound a lot but it makes alignment so simple and accurate.
I read so many threads of unbelieveably hours of patience by FTA guys. I have nothing but respect for them as I just don't have that time or patience. I can only say alignment must be part of their hobby.
I've sent you a pm.

Sadoun, I've sent you a pm

I would agree. When one is used to a SA for alignment, it's hard to go back to what seems the stone age. One can waste a lot of time guessing with other techniques, but a SA shows in an instant what is right and what is wrong. My only problem is I like bench SAs and they aren't practical to drag onto a roof. So far I've worked around this by remoting the SA via a wireless laptop, but I am tempted from time-to-time to get a portable unit.

I haven't used an SA for alignment. I use a Birdog myself. I could live without it but I certainly prefer not to. It's just so much easier to put it the strap over my neck and use it to peak than to peer through a window, get the wife on the phone, or drag a receiver and a TV out there. And I can use it in the rain too. Can't do that with a TV.

An SA would be another order above though. If you've got the extra $$$, get the one with the most (read useful) features for sure.

For most installers a Super Buddy, SatHawk, or Birdog will do just fine. A SA will be best for a professional installation job for a commercial, government, or station installation.

For most installers a Super Buddy, SatHawk, or Birdog will do just fine. A SA will be best for a professional installation job for a commercial, government, or station installation.

I am not sure I entirely agree with you on this one, Alignment using a SA is clearly accurate and can fine tune to a weak TP whilst seeing the effect on the remainder.
I have noticed this is useful particularly where there are a group of sats in the "same" position and with varying footprints. A must in Europe.
I like to see SNR and BER bars especially to accurize the skew.
Whilst you get to recognize sats by their spectrum, and SAs generally read the sat NIT ID as opposed to comparison with software loaded TP info.

I am sure economy is a factor but some SAs are definately priced below super buddy ;)

Pedro, don't get me wrong, I like the SA and would love to see more people have it. But talking from experience and sales numbers, the ratio is 20 to 1 for the other meters. Most installers don't want to buy an SA because they don't like its weight and the steps it takes to get a reading. Also, most installation companies demand from their installers to get the BIRDOG or the Super Buddy exclusively. At least this is the case here in North America. In other regions, the case might be different. I know in Europe installers like the SAs

talking from experience and sales numbers, the ratio is 20 to 1 for the other meters. Most installers don't want to buy an SA because they don't like its weight and the steps it takes to get a reading.
Wow that ratio says it all and I would certainly agree on the weight. There is a bit of a learning curve with the SA but I think they are as easy to use.

Have you had a chance to see a F1 strike meter yet, or is this another hammer.

Pedro:
I advice to look into Promax, I personally have this one for field use

Looks a great SA, I do hate adverts that do not give a MRP. Unfortunately for some reason despite being a Spanish company they are not marketed well in USA or Europe and distributors are few so it is difficult much as I'd like to have a hands on trial. I have to their website support is good.

Looking their web page I saw a new meter they have:

High definition TV analyser TV Explorer HD ..::::.. PROMAX Electronica S.A.

Some features:

Video decoding: MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 H.264
Audio decoding: MPEG-1, MPEG-2 and AAC
Video formats: SD (standard definition) and HD (high definition)
Video resolutions: 1080i, 720p and 576i
Screen formats: 16:9 and 4:3
HDMI interface
DVB-T/H, DVB-C and DVB-S/S2
CAM module (Conditional Access) for encrypted channels
TS-ASI input and output

SATLOOK NIT
Has anyone tried out the either of the following spec analysers please. I have been pleased with my CRT type Satlook NIT and am looking to get one of these.

Satlook MicroG2 NIT

Satlook Micro HD 8PSK

I saw earlier this month a question on the First Strike FS1 meter - has anyone used this yet?

Like to hear what you decide. My NIT has lost the configuration crt ( hot but no data display). I have memorized the key configuration setups and do them blind. It's a heavy little pig but I find it invaluable for weak signals and troubleshooting the entire system.

SATLOOK NIT

Satlook MicroG2 NIT

Satlook Micro HD 8PSK

I checked for you on the above two models and they are not available in the USA yet. It seems that software is not ready for USA market. When it becomes available, I will let you know.

I checked for you on the above two models and they are not available in the USA yet. It seems that software is not ready for USA market. When it becomes available, I will let you know.

Thanks Sadoun I do appreciate your help. :up

Currently I still use my CRT Satlook NIT with the european software as it makes little difference. If the sat does not broadcast its NIT, I hit button 4 and look at the channels

Ive got the satlook NIT and had a few others in the past as well, the birdog and briefly a trimax 2500. the birdog was great for bell expressvu installs, so fast, light, portable, and great battery life. I loved it. it wasnt of much use on treufta because it was a hassle to reprogram every time I wanted to aim a dish, and didnt support a motor like the satlook. the satlook is awesome for truefta, motor's, and xplornet/wildblue ka installs. when I got out of the install business I sold the birdog and kept the satlook. the trimax imo is a neet idea but not very usefull. they try an throw alot of super cool features into an incredibly small package and fail at them all. I gave it back to a friend a week after aquiring it.

the downfalls of the satlook are big, but workable. its very heavy, the battery life is very poor, and its not waterproof (not even water resistant) all of which suck for a professional installer but are no biggie for a homeuser. Ive heard the promax are sweet little units from a few friends but never had the chance to actually get my hands on them.

Updatelee, Well I've looked and played with the Promax, Satlook, and Rover SAs and they are all good and function very well, the Satlook has "easyfind" which is incredable but does not have a color screen. The Promax and Rover have color screens give all the same data but are far too expensive. The Satlook Micro g2 at €309 has everthing but 8psk which is not a necessity for me and it is no longer a pack of bricks. There is a higher model to include Dvb-S2 and 8psk. There is US software for it and I have tried up and downloading it no problem. The software editor has room to put 100 sats/transponders in its memory and the less TPs the faster it recognises the sats. I found it best to put 2 TPs per sat which gave me enough for all my favourite European and US sats. It also reads the Sat NIT stream to identify Sats
Upshot is I bought one.

Attachments

• IMG_2470.JPG
    IMG_2470.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_2472.JPG
    IMG_2472.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 176
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)