Coolsat 8000 and the S2 channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.

GreatFTA

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Mississippi Delta
Today I realigned my FTA dish and got great results on all the satellites. Most of the quality signals are between 95 to 99%. :)
I am having trouble getting the DVB-S2 frequencies to come in. For example, while on G14 (125W) I can successfully scan in all the PBS channels, including the HD channels.
When I program the CS 8000 to scan the S2 frequencies, no luck. I don't even get the quality signal at all. I used the info that The List offers. No dice.
I thought the CS 8000 does the S2 as well.
What am I doing wrong? :confused:

I too also had problems getting S2 when i first put up my 6 ft setup.I dont if this is the case with the larger dishes but you need to be aimed just about exactly on the center of the satellite you want to get s2 from.I first thought i had the dish set up just about perfect!Was getting great c and ku quality on all sats that i could get but then realized i wasnt getting any S2.My first s2 lock finnally came in when i saw a small blimp of Q activeity on the PBS s2 TP.Went outside to the bottom of dish and slightly tuged and pushed on the dish and My Q jumped from around 7 to 60.So for me it was a very slight adjustment that was needed on the dish elevation.

I also have a Coolsat 8000. My dish for 125w is a Channel Master/Primestar 1.2 meter. I get OETA and LPB with quality between 60-85%. I recommend a 1.0 or 1.2 for reliable S2 reception on Ku. I have a 1.0m Primestar on 103w that does good with the NBC S2 feeds there. As others have said, careful, precise tuning is a must. That 1.2 was a bear to dial in on LPB, but once it was spot-on, the results were well worth it! :D

I am using the Primestar 1.2 as well.
Well, I will wait until I get a C/Ku lnbf for my 8 foot dish and hook the Coolsat receiver to it. Maybe then I will get the S2 channels.
I have been thinking about getting me a Azbox Ultra receiver that will scan in those channels.
Thanks for your replies, guys!

I have been thinking about making my 8 foot solid dish the primary dish for the 4DTV and FTA reception. Maybe I will luck up on a 10 foot dish and use that one for my 4DTV (if it doesn't fade away at the end of the year). Then just use my 8 foot dish for all the FTA signals...

Let me ask this: Will I have the same problem with the Azbox, as far as getting the S2 frequencies? I figured with the age of the Coolsat 8000, it would be harder to scan in those S2. Maybe the Azbox has newer technology that would make it easier to get those channels.
Any Azbox owners got comments on this?

I've found the CS8000 to be better than the Azbox Elite, for tuning the S-2 signals. To me, the Manual scan in the CS8000 is more responsive than the Azbox. Once the dish is aimed , the Azbox is fine, but I preferred to have the CS8000 as the primary receiver.
:)

It is a matter of S/N ratio and that depends on the Dish setup it self not the reciver. Althought for the same dish setup then the receiver with the better tuner wins but in most cases it is our setup , either dish too small or not finely tuned, the determined factor. A fixed dish is easier than a motorised one. The coolsat 8100 is a fine machine , too bad it does not blind scan though.

I figure with the Azbox Ultra, it would scan the S2 with its blindscan hardware. With the CS 8000, I had to program the necessary info to bring in the S2.
It is a shame that the CS 8000 doesn't blindscan, like the Traxis 3500.

The Coolsat 8000 is actually FANTASTICALLY SENSITIVE for both DVB-S2 and DVB-S signals.In my system, you don't even need to connect the Coolsat to get -S2 reception - it gets enough "leak" through the air! (of course there is a big dish causing the "leak").If you can't get it with the Coolsat, you probably won't get it with anything else.--Gary

Guess what! When I got home from work, I decided to give it a try one more time. I was planning on adjusting the dish (outside) to see if I can work the S2 channels in.
But first I went back to the CS 8000 menu, and went to the ADJUST MOTOR. I programmed all the satellites using the ADJUST MOTOR since I had not too good setup with the DiSecqc settings.
I see the 12072H S2 channel quality meter and like before, nothing. I clicked on the EAST/WEST button to west and all the sudden the quality signal pop up! I went back and forth until I got the strongest signal possible. Now I have all the PBS channels scanned in!!!
Thank you guys for giving me your input on my question!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts