Coolsat 8000 Reset to Factory Default on its Own

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

duchen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
Last night, my Coolsat 8000 froze. In the past, when it did that, Iwould turn the box off, then switch it off the back button and let it sit (either plugged or unplugged). After awhile, I would switch it back on and it would re-boot with the stored channels intact.

Last night, when I did the last step, it re-booted at the factory default settings. (Of course, this means that I lost the stored channels and the feed coordinates I had saved).

I had noticed that when I saved new coordinates lately (mainly feeds) it was a little slow. My assumption is that I reached the limits of its memory, but who knows? I had saved a lot of "wild feed" locations(since they repeat).

In any event, I will now have start over storing channels and feed locations. Can anyone give me an idea why this happened? I would like to avoid repeating my error (if it was me).

Weird...Mine did the same thing last night (I'm not kidding). I was scanning in my OTA channels and the box froze and wouldnt scan all the OTA channels in (it woudl scan one of 2 subchannels as an example). So I flipped the switch off on the back and back on and the box completelly reset

What I have done in the past is deleted the satellites that I will never use (Asian/Europe satellites) and most of the C-Band ones. I havent had TP overload on mine after doing that :)

That is Way Too Wierd!

Some kind of overload might have happened to you last night! Maybe it has to do with the OTA channels, because I scanned my OTA channels in last week (as per my thread).

It happened to me late last night in the 11:00 PM to 12:00 PM hour EDT. Basically, I was on Galaxy 3 (C band) and the box worked; I switched to Galaxy 26 (C band) and the box froze.

What could cause that? (I doubt it was some virus in the softwear keyed to be triggered by the date and time because I did not set the time and date on my unit).

We might be able to eliminate some kind of "shut down" signal sent through the dish, because you were scanning OTA channels.

You are in Minnesota, I am in South Florida. So, it was not some neighborhood electrical issue.

I am not looking forward to "starting over" identifying channels etc.

On another point, with OTA channels, the box only scans in digital signals. Also, if the main digital signal is 6.1 and there are two subchannels (6.2 and 6.3, for example) 6.1 might be on the frequency for channel 6, but 6.2 might be on frequency for a completely different channel (such as channel 48).

On another point, with OTA channels, the box only scans in digital signals. Also, if the main digital signal is 6.1 and there are two subchannels (6.2 and 6.3, for example) 6.1 might be on the frequency for channel 6, but 6.2 might be on frequency for a completely different channel (such as channel 48).

huh?

There are some markets where a digital subchannel is also on cable. As an example when I lived in Duluth, MN WB (at the time) was on CBS subchannel (3-2) but was channel 2 on cable and UPN was 6-3 but 9.

But when you scan the channels as of right now almost all DT channels are on different numbers. The box "maps" them to the normal analog channel. Like an example, our main 4 networks in Minneapolis on analog are 4,5,9,11 but on DT are 32,50,26,34 but the box maps them to their "normal" slots

all subchannels map too.

When things like this occur, it underlines the necessity of a better PC-based channel editor for the 8000. Hopefully, Channel Master will someday add support for that STB.

We are saying the same thing...

Ice, Per Your comment, "But when you scan the channels as of right now almost all DT channels are on different numbers. The box "maps" them to the normal analog channel. Like an example, our main 4 networks in Minneapolis on analog are 4,5,9,11 but on DT are 32,50,26,34 but the box maps them to their "normal" slots."

I think that's what I said. When I refer to the channel's frequency, I was referring to the "KHZ." Each channel is assigned a frequency by the FCC. Sometimes, that assigned frequency might be as described in the last line of your comment.

Meanwhile, I wonder if anyone else had a similar problem with the Coolsat 8K as we did; probably not, or the thread would have gotten more attention.

Think I know the reason..

The more I think about it, the more I believe that the receiver reset because ite memory was fully (or over)loaded by the space for all the local and digital channels. That is why Iceberg's box also reset when he scanned the local channels. HD takes up a lot of space.

But, since noone is reading this, I am problaby writing it for myself...

Think I know the reason..

The more I think about it, the more I believe that the receiver reset because ite memory was fully (or over)loaded by the space for all the local and digital channels. That is why Iceberg's box also reset when he scanned the local channels. HD takes up a lot of space.

But, since noone is reading this, I am problaby writing it for myself...

my box had the locals already logged in. I was having issues with my NBC not logging...but now its fine :)

Havent had any issues since then and I had a bunch of HD channels logged yesterday for football

Do you erase the HD feed coordinates or save them? I had saved them, since they repeat.

Since we both had the same problem just aster football seson started, I thought that this might be the reason.

I was at a college game yesterday, so I did not scan in games.

I have a few saved in but I have 4 HD feeds already stored (2 PBS and 2 on C-band) along with my locals which are all in HD except Ion

It did it again Saturday...

I think its a memory issue because I save HD backhaul coordinates. That must push the memory capacity to its limts.

My 5000 resets too but only after I have loaded a bunch of sats in. I went to the factory reset and haven't loaded any updated file and it has been stable.
When it does reset it has FFFFFF on the front panel and then the no channel screen comes up and I start thinking of new words to yell at the TV. So I think they have a memory issue or my 5000 is getting old and is getting ready to kick the bucket. Just my $.02

My unit is relatively new...

I know those words you say; i say them too under the circumstances.

But, I have gotten very good at quickly reloading it.

It must be the memory drain from the HD backhaul locations.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts