New System Recommendations

Status
Please reply by conversation.

iafirebuff

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Waterloo, Iowa
OK, been without a motor for about a month. I have decided to get a new motor, a larger dish and maybe a new receiver :) SO, I would like everybody's recommendations on what to get, and where to buy from. Here is what I was thinking:

Motor = ??? (I had a SG-2100)
Dish = Glorystar 90cm ($50)
Receiver = Coolsat 5000 or 6000
LNB = Sadoun .3db std or Invacom Quad

I watch G10 99% of the time, but am missing the option to scan other birds and 30w! So, I am doing my research and would like your input!

THANKS!

I would hold out for the Passion receiver to see what it offers when it comes out. I have the Invacom quad and SG-2100 and the CS5K and am happy with them. I have been thinking of trying a Stab HH-120 as I like the way the motor arm goes up instead of down. It would add a bit more clearance, but looking at the specs it seems it would be much slower.

my recommendation?

Well, the 3ABN deal on the dish is hard to beat.
Unless you come up with another big Primestar.

Sounds like we think alike on LNBs...

The receiver is something else.
I believe the Coolsat 5000 is discontinued.
If that meant you could get one for well under $100, it'd be great! :)
I'm wondering why the 6000 isn't gone, too?
Maybe the extra memory makes it still attractive to the eye-patch gang?

I really favor PVRs, and the only one I have confidence in is the Visionsat IV200 right now.
You've probably read Iceberg's reviews, and found the minor twitches.
If that looks attractive to you, it'd sure be my first choice.

Motors. Maybe it's time to try a STAB ?
If you want another 2100 again, see about getting the new model.
Wish DMSI and the dealers would identify the difference, but then that'd make getting rid of old stock more difficult! :rolleyes:

And my #1 recommendation?
GO check your mailbox tomorrow. - :up

THANKS for the info! The 3ABN (I oopsed - not G*) is sweet! I actually know of 2 Primestar dishes that are close....but if I get those I know I will plant them :) So, I will take a look at that PVR AND SEE WHAT SHAKES :)

the 6000 will be replaced soon with the 6100 these newer coolsats 6100, 7000 8000 8100 are manufactured by someone else different. so its not the same coolsat just marketed by the same folks.

by far the traxis 3500 is the best deal but doesn't do ac-3 (hopefully that will get fixed soon) its not menu easy as the coolsat but its not unlearnable. (of the 4 receivers i've tried the menu on the coolsat is the easiest)

if you can hold out a few maybe someone will offload a receiver trying to get one of the newer ones like the passion. so some deals might show up.

I am really considering picking up one of those Visionsat PVR-ready receivers. If they can get the DiSEqC switch/blind scan issue sorted out (which should be a priority, I would think, as even the "eye-patch gang" relies on DiSEqC switches :) ), it will be a nearly perfect choice for standard definition (has blind scan, AC-3, PVR, component outputs, both optical and coax digital audio out, etc.).

As for high definition, there's so little up there on a regular basis (unless you have C-band), it might be worth waiting awhile on that.

If they can get the DiSEqC switch/blind scan issue sorted out (which should be a priority, I would think, as even the "eye-patch gang" relies on DiSEqC switches :) )
Well, I sure hope so.

But, do Peg Leg Pete and the One-Eye'd Gang even use blind scan? - :eek:
Can they spell "blind scan"?
Would they know a blind scanner from a blind blues picker?
... I sure hope so . . . - :D

Arrrr! Ahoy there Anole! :)

You've got a point there. Hopefully, enough people will contact the company and they'll put someone on it. Unless, of course, the hackers have already released their OWN firmware to fix the issue :eek: It does seem to be the only sticking point on a receiver that is otherwise perfect!

Does it exhibit this problem ONLY on blind scan, or on any type of transponder scan?

Thanks all for the advice! Now to sort through the reviews, etc. I think we are going to finally cancel Dish or at least cut way back. Most of the little bit of tv we watch is either Disney channel (for my daughter) and RTN for me, and Locals for my wife.

I too would recommend the visionsat for the price. However, that being said, I wouldn't trade my Conaxsat Trio for anything as it has saved my kids dvd collection from the wear and tear ( I ripped them to divx files and play them back on a USB HD attached to the TRIO) and it has solid motor control, good diseqc support, and a really good blindscan with many options in the blindscan like fortec merc II.

Conaxsat's are a bit more expensive, but if you look, you can get a Trio for about $199.

cut the cord ?

I think we are going to finally cancel Dish or at least cut way back.
Last time I talked to 'em , they wanted money to downgrade your account.
Of course, upgrading the account was free! :rolleyes:

If you should get torq'd enough to close 'em down, may I suggest this ...
I know their Canadian cousin has a vacation-hold sort of mode.
If Dish does, maybe you could put your account on hold for 2..6 months while you decide if you really want to dump 'em or not.
You'd have no service but probably no charges either.
And if you did decide to come back, there'd be a lot less hassle and paperwork.
Run that by the guys in the Dish forum just to be sure, of course.

Does it exhibit this problem ONLY on blind scan, or on any type of transponder scan?

let me try and clear up some confusion on the blind scan for the Visionsat
1. If you have it on a motor and are KU only (no switch) blind scan will work fine
2. If you have a KU/DBS setup and use a 22k switch to combine them, blind scan works fine
3. If you have a KU/DBS setup and use a Diseqc switch, as long as KU is on port 1 blind scan works fine
4. If you have a LNB on any port other than 1, blind scan will not work properly. Don't ask me why but it doesn't.

manual scan, auto scan, advanced scan, network scan work fine regardless of switch port.

I think I have narrowed the receiver down to the Traxis 3500 or the Coolsat 5000. Dish - 3ABN. Motor - ??? and LNB Sadoun .04 std or Invacom Quad. Thanks to all for your input!

is that available on their site yet??

edit: I'm a doof...yes its there. Gonna have to try it out tonight :)

1. If you have it on a motor and are KU only (no switch) blind scan will work fine
2. If you have a KU/DBS setup and use a 22k switch to combine them, blind scan works fine
3. If you have a KU/DBS setup and use a Diseqc switch, as long as KU is on port 1 blind scan works fine
4. If you have a LNB on any port other than 1, blind scan will not work properly. Don't ask me why but it doesn't.

manual scan, auto scan, advanced scan, network scan work fine regardless of switch port.

Thanks for the info, Iceberg. That's really not a fatal problem, there are plenty of potential work-arounds.

New Visionsat Factory Firmware V112 corrects the DiSEqC switching error that occurred during Blind Scans.

Hopefully this solves the issue completely. Anxiously awaiting a verdict :)

I think I have narrowed the receiver down to the Traxis 3500 or the Coolsat 5000. Dish - 3ABN. Motor - ??? and LNB Sadoun .04 std or Invacom Quad. Thanks to all for your input!

Having both of those two receivers, I would say run, don't walk, and buy a Coolsat 5000. Now let me say I just got the Traxis 3500 yesterday, but its the slowest, most counter intuitive receiver I've ever used. It took me 45 MINUTES to upgrade the firmware. I thought it was uploading in morse code or something. :cool:
I can't speak for the motor prowess with the 3500 as I don't have a free motor to put it on. But, IMO, there are better choices out there.

In fact, after messing with it all afternoon, I have decided that my wife will NEVER be able to use it, so its going up for sale.

Last edited:
1. If you have it on a motor and are KU only (no switch) blind scan will work fine Yes, on mine exactly right
3. If you have a KU/DBS setup and use a Diseqc switch, as long as KU is on port 1 blind scan works fine Not on mine, I've switched the ports all over and no dice. It WILL NOT blind scan with a disecq switch. Take it out, it works fine.
4. If you have a LNB on any port other than 1, blind scan will not work properly. Don't ask me why but it doesn't. See above.

Agreed. But mine, with 1.12 firmware, will NOT blindscan with a disceq switch. :mad:

As of right now, I cannot reccomend the Visionsat.:(

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts