Status
Please reply by conversation.

Kb Cool

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
Mesa, AZ
Hello everyone,
I just picked up a Coolsat 8000. It has software version # 12.06.3 F. Is this hackerware? If so, what advantages will the box have if i go back to factory software. And how do i actually do it? Step by step.
Thanks

Hello everyone,
I just picked up a Coolsat 8000. It has software version # 12.06.3 F. Is this hackerware? If so, what advantages will the box have if i go back to factory software. And how do i actually do it? Step by step.
Thanks

Yes, that is pirate firmware. Any firmware with the "F" is pirate.
Generally, the pirate firmware worked better than the factory firmware available at the same time, as they generally made the pirate firmware first, then turned that into a factory version. Ie the bug fixes first came out in the pirate, then a bit later, you'd see the same bug fixed in the factory version. I couldn't get my 8100 to work well at all with the factory firmware at first, however the last couple versions worked pretty well.
I THINK that the 12.063 firmware you have is pretty much the same as the most recent version (I think it's 2025A or something like that), so there is probably no particular advantage to put the factory firmware back on the receiver, but it's not too hard if you want to. You have to first load a short clean file though, which wipes the memory prior to loading the factory firmware.
I could give you step by step instructions for the 8100, but I've noticed that people with an 8000 do it slightly differently, so you're better off finding Ice's instructions for the 8000.

Make sure you don't let the receiver get hot. The 8000 receivers usually didn't have a fan, and while the 8100 had a fan, they got hot too, and it will tend to freeze and reboot if it gets hot.

That version is one of that later hacker-ware versions, I believe. It supports Diseqc 1.1 switch control and turning off the tuning sound on the antenna page. Those are the only advantages that I can think of, over the factory file.

The factory file MIGHT use less memory and cpu cycles, since it wouldn't have to process any decryption ( I'm guessing here as to whether that is significant , or not ) .

To load the factory file, you'll need a null modem serial cable, the CSUupgrade utility, the 2025 factory firmware, and a piece of code called "cler_sw_hd" which is a null firmware that clears out the newer version so older can be loaded.

First load the "clear_sw_HD" file into the CS8000, then load the 2025 firmware into the CS8000.
I've done this a lot in the past, going back and forth on versions, and the system works.
:)

Yup just follow brents steps.

BTW: I prefer the hack fw over factory for just the fact it kills that annoying beep when entering the satellite menu. You will know it once you enter there.
Now if the built in fan is too loud for you (as it sure was for me) then do what I did, disconnected the inner fan and use instead a notebook usb fan.
I placed it under the 8000 and works 200% better. Improved air flow and most of all, super quiet.

BTW: I prefer the hack fw over factory for just the fact it kills that annoying beep when entering the satellite menu. You will know it once you enter there.

If you have the TV at normal volume the friggin neighbors will hear it....and their dogs start howling :D

Thanks everyone.
Iceberg! Is this the software i need? http://www.satelliteguys.us/fta-mpeg2-equipment-reviews/88696-coolsat-8000-hd-receiver-9.html.
All in all. I'm happy with the receiver as it is now. But, i've noticed the volume is alot lower than my other receivers. Even though the coolsat's internal volume control is all the way up. Also the picture is shifted slightly up on my tv instead of being perfectly centered. And lastly, S2 seems a little less smooth than qpsk. Do any of you guys have the same problems? Also, if i load the factory firmware. Will i lose any of the satelitte names or channels i've stored so far?
Thanks again

Also the picture is shifted slightly up on my tv instead of being perfectly centered.
You're using an HDMI cable, yes?
Mine does the same thing on HDMI but it's perfect with component video. Never could figure out why, so I just put the Coolsat on component, and my Pansat 9200 on HDMI.

You're using an HDMI cable, yes?
Mine does the same thing on HDMI but it's perfect with component video. Never could figure out why, so I just put the Coolsat on component, and my Pansat 9200 on HDMI.

It does it with both HDMI and component. I guess i can live with it. But, i wanna see if the factory software will fix it. Just downloaded winrar now.;)

It does it with both HDMI and component. I guess i can live with it. But, i wanna see if the factory software will fix it. Just downloaded winrar now.;)
Mine has the last version of Factory software so yours should be fine, at least on component, after you get it loaded. :)

The loader is in the file I posted above

I don't know whats wrong. But, when i open the file after unzipping with winrar. Windows ask what program i want to use to open it. Like this.(pic)

Attachments

• coolsat.jpg
    coolsat.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 123
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)