Coolsat or Fortec?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jackyyuen

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
I find a good Deal of Coolsat 5000 P arround $150.00, I know most of you guys use Fortec or PanSat. Can tell me what is the differents? Is there any website which compare that side by side?

Thanks

My Setting:
Invacom Universal Single Ku 0.3 dB LNBF SNH-031
Fortec Star 36" (90 cm)
VisionDTV (StarBox) USB

Have you tried the equipment review section? I know there is a review of the Fortec by PSB which was very informative.
I personally use Fortec lifetime ultra and I am pretty happy with it. Of course there are crashes--mostly due to software issues--every now and then, but the hitting the power button on the remote or the on off switch on the back usually take care of these crashes.
Good luck to you

Last edited:
The Coolsat is a very good receiver...you can fine tune your blind scan (dont have to scan everything...you can pick a rasnge of frequencies to scan)

I can't speak to the latest models, but I replaced a lifetime ultra with a Coolsat 4000 about a month or so ago. The Coolsat is way faster than the Fortec, and so far has had no bugs. On the Fortec, I would periodically have to do a reset as the satellite settings would start getting scrambled with my channel lists got too large. The Fortec is also extremely slow on blind scans. It would routinely take the Fortec around 15 minutes to scan a satellite the same operation on the Coolsat might take 4 or 5.

The newer Fortec's might work better, but I'd go with the Coolsat.

Thanks everyone,

I guess I will go for the Coolsat. Actually, I have a Twinhan Starbox which I order a week ago from Sadoun.com, but still not able to get that working. Always 0% 0% even with the new drivers.

I will go get the Coolsat on Wed in the local store. Because of the followings:

1, Not that many people in this forum using Starbox.
2, Seems Coolsat review is pretty good.
3, Try to avoid any mistake from the computer settings.

Am I right? If I have the Coolsat, is that easier for you guys to help me than the Starbox?

Thanks.

I have the 5000 so I should be able to help :)

Lots of people have the 4000 which is close (menu wise) to the 5000

jack.... I can help you with the starbox. You probably haven't installed a codec pack, thats why you are seeing 0% / 0%. at any rate, repost your questions and setup etc in a new post and I will help you out.

as for Ontopic discussion....I plan on getting a clone, i.e., cooltec, pantec, and giving it a shot. The way the prices of receivers are, I thought, hey what the heck...Should try one of those clones out. If your new to FTA though, I would stick with the good ol Fortec. They've been around for awhile and once you get the hang of FTA, there a good box, plus, guys like Sadoun have great support for their receivers.

Hi Sharris,
My orginal question for Starbox as following:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=49584
I really hope you can help me with that. Coz I dont want to spend more money on another receiver.

Tell the truth, I dont think Sadoun has great support. Coz I get the Starbox from them, but seems they are not able to help and they delay my order 3days before shipped out. But is ok, I think I will keep buying from them in the future, since they are one of the reliable source from internet.

Iceberg, Thanks again, you have been so nice since day one I post the message in this forum.

Hi Iceberg,

Time for you to help me out, I got the Coolsat already. But still no luck. I always get 90% singal and arround 7% of quality. What did I do wrong?

Thanks in advance.

signal doesnt mean anything...all it means is there is power to the LNB..quality is the one that matters :)

need some more info
-is the dish motorized or fixed
-where are you aiming at (what satellite)
-what LNB type are you using (universal or standard)

I try Galaxy 10R (which suggested by a good guy in Canada). With the Cootsat I always get 6-10% Quality no matter where I point to. even take off the LNB from the Dish.

My Setting:
Invacom Universal Single Ku 0.3 dB LNBF SNH-031
Fortec Star 36" (90 cm)
VisionDTV (StarBox) USB and Coolsat 5000 P

make sure the box is set up for Universal (instead of standard)
Lo frequency 9750/10600

Best transponder to use is
12114 freq
V polairty
4444 symbol rate

Thanks again. I will try tonight.

Beside, Is there any local installer you can refer me? I am not giving up. Just want to know the last solution ahead.

Thanks

Get a signal meter. The sf-95 goes for like $10 on E-bay with shipping. If you can get access to an 18" dish try getting 119 W or 91 W. I know this is not what you want in the end but it will give some practice in getting sats. Sorry I don't know your knowledge with this stuff.

Digital Ku can be a PAIN. 1/4" can make all the difference.

Good luck :)

jackyyuen said:
Thanks again. I will try tonight.

Beside, Is there any local installer you can refer me? I am not giving up. Just want to know the last solution ahead.

Thanks

Hi Ken,

I have the SF-95, but even I move the dish, point to different direction. but there is no change of the tone. But If I put my hand in front of the LNB, the meter tone is higher. What is that mean?

Thanks

You need to turn the knob towards the left (counter-clockwise) untill the indicator is on 1 or 2. Then once you start to fine tune the dish to the satllite and get a signal locked in, you will see the indicater go to 9 or 10. Turn the knob left again until the indicater is back down to 1 or 2, and fine tune the dish again. Keep on repeating that untill you get the best possible signal. I'll tell you one thing about all the $10-$30 meters... They work best with high powered satellites. I personally rather use a satellite receiver to lock a signal than a signal meter because it's much more accurte. If you are looking for a local installer, you can go to www.mylocalinstaller.com

jack
what LNB do you have?

Is it the Invacom quad (with 4 outputs) or one with less? You say a single but the model you gave is the quad.

Reason I ask is the quad has a LNB LO frequency of 10750 whereas any other Invacom is a Universal of 9750/10600

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)