Corotor control from receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

patmos

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 9, 2005
Hi to all. This is my first post here. I want to receive FTA from both C and ku band on a 3 metre dish. It seems to me that the corotor is the ideal solution. My question is how will the receiver control the corotor as it has a single probe for both band. I have used the Echostar DSB-780 FTA to control one LNB at a time( thru the coax). so it uses the 13v/18v and 0 khz/22khz to move between high/low band and vertical horizontal for ku and 18 for C band. With the corotor there will be the servo motor to control. Is there a special receiver to do that. Help please.

First off, Welcome to Satelliteguys.us :D

There are a few FTA recievers that will control a corotor polarizer servo. The Satworks 3618/3688 and the Pansat 2500/2700/3500 will control a polarizer servo (polarotor), and with the addition of a V-Box will also control the dish's postion via diseqc commands sent by the reciever. This is a great way to go if you want to set up your BUD for strictly FTA viewing. There are reviews on these recievers on the FTA/Mpeg forum, under the reviews section.

I highly recommend looking at the Pansat 3500, these seem to be very nice recievers with lots of features, including the ability to pass ac-3 audio to a dolby 5.1 compatable audio reciever. here is a link to the reveiw of the pansat 3500 that was done by one of the moderators on this forum, a very knowledgable fellow named Iceberg....

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=77419

If you have more questions, please feel free to ask :)

Thank you drhydro. I would like to know if there is no compatibility issue between receivers made for American market and those for European. I am in fact from Mauritius (Indian Ocean ) and would like to receive mainly from european satellites and Panamsat 7/10.

hmmmmmmmm i am not sure about that, hopefully someone else can chime in and help

My first post too!

Receivers that work well with corotors are fairly limited. I use an Echostar AD3000IP, which is difficult to setup initially, but works well afterwards. Not only has it mechanical polarizer control, but it will automatically switch between the C and Ku lnbs when used with a 0/12v switch, useful when a satellite has both C and Ku transponders. It will also drive a 36V linear actuator and has an option for a ferrite polarizer too. It can deal with both analogue and digital signals. It has been superseded by the AD3600 and the DVR7000 which are both equally capable but also have a steep learning curve. The biggest drawback is that they don't have blindsearch capability.

The 2 things you need to be aware of with US receivers are power supply and TV format. I don't know what power supply and TV format are in Mauritius but I have experience with a Pansat 2500 imported into Europe from the US. It can work with 110 and 220v, and I have a TV which will accept both NTSC and PAL via SCART so no problems their either. There is also a PAL firmware available from the manufacturers. The receiver can do fast blindsearch and has polarizer control. Unfortunately it does not support wideband WR75 Ku lnbs which are used with corotors i.e. there is no support for 13/18V switching of bands, only 22Khz tone switching. The 0/12v switch output doesn't work either but it does have Disecq.

Another option to look at is a Manhattan ST550 PVR. It has polarizer control, blindsearch and 36v positioner, Diseqc and you can add in hard drive for recording. It also supports wideband Ku lnbs. It's not quite as sophisticated as the Echostars in automatically switching between C and Ku lnbs but will work with a bit of extra effort.

Finally, the corotors actually have 2 probes, one small Ku at the front and a larger C at the back of the feedhorn, but they are linked together and 'corotate' using the one motor.

There is a picture of an ADL corotor on a Russian 'Alyno' site, but I can't link it yet as I don't have enough posts. You can find the link in the C-band section of this site.

Thanks a lot Orthoclipse. It seems that the Manhattan ST550 PVR is best for me. One more question Is it for FTA. One thing I cannot understand. Can some receivers receive encrypted programmes as well as FTA. Mauritius uses PAL/Secam and 220V AC power.

The ST550 is for free to air but it has an embedded Irdeto cam and it also has a common interface slot if you want to plug in your own cam for different encryption systems. So in answer to your question, it does both FTA and encrypted channels. You can find full specs on manhattan-digital[dot]com

The site says is supports PAL G, I, K, M and NTSC M, but there is no mention of SECAM. It runs on both 100-220V AC.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)