Cost for Time Warner Internet and only Internet (no bundle)H

samalex

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
Waco, Texas
We're having a dang of a time getting a good answer from Time Warner Cable in Central Texas. We had just their Internet service for a few years and paid about $48/month which included a leased cable modem. Then last year we added Cable TV with a DVR and our bill went up to about $130 a month. Now they're saying after our 'promotions' expire it'll jump to over $170/month so I'm looking at going back to Dish for TV and back to just TW Internet.

Well I called this week and they guy was saying it'd be almost $90/month for Internet only without a bundle. I asked him to just give me exactly what we had before, we don't need turbo or wireless internet in our house or any of those frills... just the mid-tier Internet service (need more than 2mb/sec but don't need 20mb/sec). He still said it'd be like $90/month unless we go with a cable TV bundle at which it might even be cheaper.

Anyway, I wasn't sure if anyone on here could answer or if I'll have to just take everything to our local TW office and talk to them in person. The folks in the local office are generally rather friendly, but the folks over the phone are rarely.

Thanks for any info or thoughts.
Sam

TWC charges $14.99 for 2mbps internet, and an additional $5.99 to lease one of their modems. Where he comes up with $90 I have no idea.

Best way is to log into the web site and make the changes and see what the bill will be, you can cancel before finalizing the order.

$90/month sounds like the 30mbit/sec plan.

That sounds like a promotional price. Most likely it would jump after 6 months.

Actually on TWC's web site the 14.99 is listed as everyday low price, not promotional.

They also have 3mbit, 15mbit, 20mbit, 30mbit and 50mbit available for Waco. Given that he was being billed $90/month I am speculating that it is the normal price of the 30mbit service since the 50mbit is 109 including modem...

I pay TW 90.59 a month for 20 mb speed,and unlimited phone service,but the standard package for just internet
of 15 mb is 34.99 a month for 12 months and 5.99 a month for the modem plus your taxes,sounds like the package you want.

Last edited:
15 Mbps is $35 here as well. We've been considering dumping FiOS to go OTA and streaming. FiOS internet by itself is $80 a month and Time Warner is the local cable co here.

Hmmm. I am paying $78.13 total for 15 MB service only, including the $6 cable modem fee that I have to get rid of and the taxes. Seems to vary widely by region.

I'm currently on a promotional rate and pay $34.99 (Standard service - 15Mb/s) + $5.99 (modem rental).

I went to TW's website, changed the zip code to one for Waco TX and got this:
tw-waco.png

Those are promotional rates, of course, but existing customers can almost always get them or keep them. Just tell them ATT U-Verse offered you service for a really good price.... You'll likely be talking to someone at the national level (call center) and has no idea who the competition is in every area.

Hmmm. I am paying $78.13 total for 15 MB service only, including the $6 cable modem fee that I have to get rid of and the taxes. Seems to vary widely by region.

I think there is something wrong with your billing.

I think there is something wrong with your billing.

Maybe so, but here it is, right off the bill:
TWC Milwaukee said:
Monthly services
04/18-05/17 Standard Internet 57.99
Turbo Upgrade 10.00
Internet Modem Lease 5.99
Total monthly services 73.98
Taxes, fees & surcharges
WI State and Local Taxes 4.15
Total taxes, fees & surcharges 4.15
Total due autopay 78.13

I dropped cable services, and they said I was not eligible for promotional pricing. Guess I will try the threaten to switch trick.

Look here: http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/r...rt/topics/accountandbilling/retail-rates.html

It will use the zip code you enter as the region it shows details for. It shows "Midwest" for me, from PA to NE and WI to TN.

I looked at a number of cities in OH yesterday and I never saw any pricing variations for the non-promotional rates in all the places I checked. Promotional rates can, and likely do, vary greatly and they figure, once you're "hooked", you'll just pay the higher rate when it comes along.

INTERNET
Standard Internet ________________________________________________________________$ 57.99
Basic Internet ____________________________________________________________________$ 47.99
Everyday Low Price Internet _________________________________________________________$ 14.99

I was wondering the same thing about the regular price FOR the bundles. Found out this week.

A couple years ago I was on Dish for TV (somewhere around $120/mo), and had just TWC 15/1 Internet for $57.99. They gave me a great win-back promo and I have all channels TWC offers except for premiums and the small pack with MGM which is like 6 bucks a month. Total monthly cost with tax and a DVR box and two other non-DVR boxes, including modem rental, is about $97/mo. which to me is a great deal.

This month was my 24th month on this deal and so I have been curious what would happen to pricing. Just got a letter from TWC stating the promo was over and that the regular price for what I have is $205/mo. but that since I was a valuable customer, I get it all for approx. $125/mo. (Can't remember exact prices and don't have the letter in front of me right now) for one more year taxes included. I didn't even have to ask for anything. I think they know that price is crazy and that I left once before over their rates (which were not even that high with phone included).

I figure I'll stay one more year and see what happens, as that deal is not terrible. Plus we'll be dropping a box since my son is moving out, and I might be dropping the modem fee by buying my own modem as well. That would put me under $110/mo, which is still OK with me. The "regular" price is absolutely ridiculous, however.

Last edited:
Probably quoted you the $205 price as each service's cost stand alone, but the $125 is the normal bundled discount. The mark it up high to show a great sale strategy.

I have turbo internet only & was paying around $78 a month and called & talked to someone in retention & got it lowered to $68 a month. The guy in retention told me changes are coming this summer. My turbo will change from 20Mbps down/2Mbps up to 100Mbps down/10Mbps up & the good news, no increase is cost for service (for now anyway). I've already gone to their office & got the new modem that can handle the new speeds....they will be offering up to 300 Mbps. These updateds are for the Austin, Texas area (NY & LA are getting upgrades also). I live in Kyle was checking my speed this morning and was getting 58Mbps but it mostly stays around 20Mbps...guess TWC is working on it because my upload speeds are almost 11Mbps all the time now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts