Cost to Add a Room wiring?

robertw477

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
I have an installer coming tomm to set up the 722 units and install the hd dish. I was thinking about asking him to wire and additional room for me to put one of my old 501s in that room. What is the going rate for that (cost of extra room)

Appreciate any info. Hopefully I get a decent installer either way. My parents got a terrible guy who really did a crappy job.

Rob

Well, that depends on how hard it would be for that room to be wired. If there is any wall fish's or attic work or length of cable. I usually get sweet talked in to doing it for about $40 or so.
That also depends on if you get a sub contractor or a dish employee. The best thing to do is be up front with him/her before the job gets started so the tech can work it in. I hate surprises at when I think I am done. It will be totally up to the installer.
$40 is just what I am use too, Some charge WAY more. But like I said, Depends on how hard it is.
Where do you live?

That also depends on if you get a sub contractor or a dish employee.

WHat I ment about dish employee or sub is, The sub has to pay for everything, Cable, gas, connectors,barrels,clips the whole 9 yards. The dish employee gets everything supplied to him/her free. Also keep in mind, The dish employee may not be allowed to do whats not on the work order. I don't know what the rules are anymore, It's been a few years since I worked there.

I am in South Fla. I am 99% sure these are subs that do install work for Dish. My parents had one sub that was not the greatest. I helped them finish setup with the equipment etc. I have a fmaily room on the first floor that I would like to wire. It is about 30 feet or so away from my other connection. Not sure how they would run the wire. Maybe from the attic. I will talk up front before he starts.

Had this done a few months ago, charging me $60 to install a 301 receiver in a second bedroom, along with my 622. It was a contractor, so I dont know what yours may charge

I'm thinking the $60 charge is pretty much standard fare. The times I've been sent out for pre-paid "custom labor", the customer was charged that amount by Dish.

YMMV with regards to local retailers and contractors.

if you charge less than $60 a wall fish (involving attic run) you are hurting your fellow techs. $40 from wallfish down to basement, is ok, in my book. Thats just wallfish, not cable run. Please guys, no one here is getting rich, but don't drop your trousers at first, either!!!

The installer told me he wants 99.00 for the extra room plus I need a new switch for another $200.00. YIKES. I took a pass on that. $300.00 to add a room..wow

Is that true that I need a $200.00 switch added to this system. So far I have two 722 units.

Rob

South Florida = no basement and a slim chance at a crawl, stuco exterior walls and yes dish does have inhouse techs in south Florida though the Naples area doesnt have any.

The installer told me he wants 99.00 for the extra room plus I need a new switch for another $200.00. YIKES. I took a pass on that. $300.00 to add a room..wow

Is that true that I need a $200.00 switch added to this system. So far I have two 722 units.

Rob
we need more info............you wouldn't need a switch if you can use a 1000.2, can you get the 129 in your area? or a DP+ and the 61.5. What have you?

Rob

depends on the dish you have. I would assume since the installer told you it wouldnt work... that you probably have a DPP twin. In that case, yeah, you would need either a different dish, or an external switch.

I think it is the DPP twin. Is a switch that much? $199.00 or can I get one for a lesser price?

Rob

theres a swith in the DP+ Twin now. It allows for two orbitol slots and a third to be added. If you already have 2 dual tuners, the lnb is maxxed out for receivers but will still be able to add either the 61.5 or the 129 orbitol slot.

OK. I am in Houston area. I want to add wires connecting the receiver from downstairs to the TV2 in my bedroom right on top of the living room using video and audio L/R connection (not coax as it only gives mono sound). It's about a 12 to 15 ft run. How much is a reasonable charge?

OK. I am in Houston area. I want to add wires connecting the receiver from downstairs to the TV2 in my bedroom right on top of the living room using video and audio L/R connection (not coax as it only gives mono sound). It's about a 12 to 15 ft run. How much is a reasonable charge?

the hard part is going to be finding a tech that is carrying 15' rca cables on his truck.

Some techs carry RCA compression connectors. You'll want to find one that does. Another possibility would be to buy these connectors yourself and pay the guy to run three coax cables and put your RCA connectors on.

sns1p6rmx.jpg

I have an installer coming tomm to set up the 722 units and install the hd dish. I was thinking about asking him to wire and additional room for me to put one of my old 501s in that room. What is the going rate for that (cost of extra room)

Appreciate any info. Hopefully I get a decent installer either way. My parents got a terrible guy who really did a crappy job.

Rob
I charge time and materials. $50 per hour with a one hour minimum. $0.12 per foot for cable

Usually if it's a short run,less than 50 feet I waive the cable charge. I figure the wall fish, if nec, into the rate. I throw in the wall plate(s). That's for a single line. Tougher jobs I charge more.

WHat I ment about dish employee or sub is, The sub has to pay for everything, Cable, gas, connectors,barrels,clips the whole 9 yards. The dish employee gets everything supplied to him/her free. Also keep in mind, The dish employee may not be allowed to do whats not on the work order. I don't know what the rules are anymore, It's been a few years since I worked there.
DNSC techs will not do th ework unless ok'd by their supervisor. Very rare. Their work schedules are too full to have time to do extras. Plus they dont want their techs getting into charging extra for anything. It sets a bad precedent. this according to the GM at the local DNS office. I don't know about other offices.

Downgraded?

channel guide if using antenna

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)