Could the ethernet port on my 722 be dead?

therevev

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
Brighton, MI
I hooked up a wireless bridge to the ethernet port on my 722.

I know that the NETGEAR WGPS606 is working and connecting to the router upstairs. I hooked up a laptop to a port on the netgear and the laptop received an ip address and was able to access the internet.

I think I can see the MAC address for the 722 on my router. But the 722 says under diagnotiscs for connection broadband failure.
I have reset the connection...nothing.
I have unplugged the 722 and replugged it in and nothing.
I changed the cat5 cable...nothing.

I feel like I have narrowed everything down to the point where it seems like it must be the 722 ethernet port that has failed. How likely is this? Any body have a setup similar to this that might be familar with my problem?

easy way to find out. hook it direct and bypass the router. move the 722 if you have to just to test. even if you don't have the coax to extend from the wallplate to wherever your modem is, it should not affect the 722's ability to connect with ethernet by being disconnected from the sattelite. if you are coming straight out of the modem into your 722 and it still doesnt work...then you know.
if it works, then i would suspect a security/software conflict with the router.
does the 722 report an ip address when you reset the connction?
because i'm thinking, if the router shows the mac address then i find it unlikely the port has failed because there is communication.
i suspect a conflict with the router.
let us know.

I can see the MAC address for the DVR in the router's DHCP list with an IP address. But for some reason that is not getting noticed at the DVR

I have a D-Link wireless bridge that was hard-wired to a 622 and a 722. The 622 has always worked flawlessly, but the 722 wouldn't stay connected for more than a day at a time. I finally hooked up the 722 via HomePlug (Airlink), and now it's fine. I had thought that it might be the ethernet socket on the 722, also, but I have a HomePlug adapter plugged into the same port (so I can use a surge protector strip for the DVR), and it works fine with that. I don't know what the difference is between the 622 and 722 that one would work with the bridge and one wouldn't, but there you have it.

Brad

Thanks for your replies. With my fiddling with the router last night and bricked it doing a hard reset. It will not show any power now. So starting over.

I have a 622 and a 722. They both work well using a homeplug setup. BUT keep in mind the ethernet port on 622 or 722 is ONLY for hardwire. The 622 and 722 route the signals thru the power cable into the wall plug.....AND if you are using a powerstrip can definitely weaken the signal. Try plugging the cord directly into a wall outlet and use the homelink to pick it up near your router.

I have a 622 and a 722. They both work well using a homeplug setup. BUT keep in mind the ethernet port on 622 or 722 is ONLY for hardwire. The 622 and 722 route the signals thru the power cable into the wall plug.....AND if you are using a powerstrip can definitely weaken the signal. Try plugging the cord directly into a wall outlet and use the homelink to pick it up near your router.

I'm not sure what you're saying here. You definitely CAN wire from the ethernet port to a homeplug adaptor (or wireless bridge). This allows you to use a surge suppressor or UPS on your DVR if you want to.

Brad

I understand what you are saying, but I found that the 622 or 722 still (more than likely) is trying to connect via line cord. I tried your setup (hardwired to homelink then to another homelink) and plugged into power strip line surge suppressor. It worked, but the NAT table in the router kept getting screwed up and it would drop connection every day or more often. The only way I got it to work consistently was to let the line cord do the work and plug directly into the wall outlet. Surge suppressors etc. have chokes and caps, that can degrade the connection.....I am not totally sure, but it stands to reason the 722 is relatively crude and is going to output via both the line cord and ethernet port at the same time. With a surge suppressor and hardwire at the same time it may still get the NAT table confused......since once in a while the signal is strong enough to make it past the filters in the suppressor. After all, most of us probably have Dish Network insurance on the 622 or 722. If it gets fried they will have to replace it.....??? Again, I cannot verify this, but only apply logic from experiences and frustration I have had with this.....

You can tell which connection it's coming through because there are different MAC addresses for the ethernet port and the homeplug. Mine's using the ethernet address.

Brad

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)